Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-12-2015, 02:01 PM   #1

Sewer Tote Camping

Going camping at my first ever campground this week without a sewer hookup. Not really sure why a campground would have electric and water hookups but not sewer, anyways had to go bite the bullet and pay $200 for a tote. Now for the big question how do you guys use them? I've seen people use them and leave them attached on their camper like an extension tank. I have a 15 gallon grey water tank and had to purchase a 27 gallon tote as it's all I could find locally. So do you leave your grey water valve open or fill your holding tank and then just empty it into the tote? I went with the Thetford Smart tote LX 27 gallon.
silverta16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 02:34 PM   #2

I just empty the tank into the tote when it's getting full. I would never leave the valve(s) open. Not sure how the tote would react to being overfilled!

You may want avoid filling the tote right up too - keep an eye on weight if you need to drag it from the trailer to the hitch ball. I filled it right up once without realizing that I then needed to drag it up an incline that had loose granite stones. It was like it was on skis! :-)

2014 White Hawk 28DSBH
2012 F150 EcoBoost MaxTow (2022 F150 PowerBoost on order)
Reese 1200 WDH / Dual Cam Sway Control
dmward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 02:41 PM   #3

We have a tote. The only times we've ever had to use it were on week long trips. So we generally leave it home.

Lots of CGs have elec/water and no sewer. In some places either the municipality had restrictions, or it was simply too cost prohibitive. Many CGs offer both types of sites with elec/water, and others that are full hookups, that is with sewer also.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 02:42 PM   #4

Pretty much everything dmward said.. Also you don't show what type of RV you have.. I am going to assume you have a black water tank as well. If so then you will have to go to the dump station when you leave.. Just make sure you have a pretty full gray water tank so that after you dump your black you will have the gray to wash out your dump hose..

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 02:43 PM   #5

Well...I can tell you how not to use it...

DON'T Hook it up with the short hose to a tank not all that much lower than the drain on your x23B...especially considering that the tank connector is on the top on the tank. :/

I suppose you could leave it hooked up, but I wouldn't have the valves open for the same reasons you're not supposed to just leave the valves open when you have a sewer hook up.

As far as not having sewer hook ups...running a sewer line is far more expensive than electric & water.
charles_cincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 02:54 PM   #6
Site Team

I am currently on a non sewer site work a 15 gal blue boy.
I don't connect it until I'm ready to dump. I use the short hose and a clear fitting at the camper. I open the vent hole on the portable tank so I can see the water level. Then pull the grey tank being dumped and watch the level coming up in the vent hole. Close the valve early rather than late because the valve may be near the tank and every thing in the drain has to go in by gravity flow.
Don't be looking in there to close if it's full.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 06:30 PM   #7

If you find yourself in this situation often as I did, look for a cheap water pump to hook to a garden hose. I got a cheap one at harbor freight and I pump into the tank while it is in the bed of the truck. Keeps me from having to drag the tank to the truck and then idle all the way to the dump station. Well worth the 15-20 bucks in my opinion.
Jace817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 02:02 PM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to jamaddox
I leave mine connected but do not pull the handle to empty the grey water until I need to. I also don't use this for black water because it is almost impossible to completely empty my tank. Newer tanks may have solved that problem
Equalizer WDH with 10k bars
jamaddox is offline   Reply With Quote