Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-10-2014, 04:57 PM   #1

Sex Discrimination in Hiring

Clearly, RV manufacturers only hire male designers. No woman would cram the top of a mattress between two walls/tables. All those floor plan geniuses should be required to change sheets on every mattress in their inventory.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 05:09 PM   #2

Sounds like a good idea to me. Hopefully Jayco will heed your advice
fielro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 06:31 PM   #3

And the kitchens would be more user friendly.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 06:34 PM   #4

Amen to that! I love my walk-around bed but absolutely hate making it up because of those "night stands" crammed against the mattress.
MissLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 06:35 PM   #5

very true but trying to cram everything into the tight places I guess
Paintinfool3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 06:37 PM   #6

Wow talk about sexist. I'm a man and I cook and clean and yes I do the laundry too. A better argument is you find it poorly designed by people who don't seem to have used a trailer.
Imnaha.Mansion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 06:38 PM   #7

I agree, switch bed end for end with a small headboard, 2 reading lights and a place to mount at tv or shelves.
SecretCoveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 07:04 PM   #8
Lost in the Woods

Come on guys! We all know that the designers design RVs around what is on sale that week at the Goodwill store. Just be thankful that 75% of it even works...
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 07:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imnaha.Mansion View Post
Wow talk about sexist. I'm a man and I cook and clean and yes I do the laundry too. A better argument is you find it poorly designed by people who don't seem to have used a trailer.
Good point. Doesn't apply to me as I do all those things (but she folds). She shovels our short sidewalk whilst I'm on the tractor clearing the driveway. Seems you present a different argument, not better, as it depends on correct speculation.

OTOH, you'd win hands down if the posts were subjected to Politically Correct scrutiny.

All in good humor!
Old 12-10-2014, 09:13 PM   #10

Hello Miss Lou do you ever go to Lake Bruin or Poverty Point? We live just up the road in Crowville?
xtruckerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 09:24 PM   #11

My wife would agree. We didn't buy a X brand TT just because the kitchen and another because because of not being able to walk around the bed. But I think even a man could see a some of these newer floor plan are not friendly.
xtruckerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 02:46 PM   #12

There is a lot to be said for the integrity of that box you are pulling down the road when you place full length cabinetry across the top and bottom in the front and rear. Additional cabinets and dinettes along the walls midway through the vehicle help to keep them square and ridgid. It would probably loosen up and fall apart quickly from bouncing down the road without all the gusseting!
Jeff61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 05:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
Clearly, RV manufacturers only hire male designers. No woman would cram the top of a mattress between two walls/tables. All those floor plan geniuses should be required to change sheets on every mattress in their inventory.
LOL...LOL.. It's funny that you brought that up, cause I told the wife the exact same thing when we were looking for our new rig.

Any man can treat a lady right for one night, but it takes a great man to treat her right for the rest of her life.
GrayHawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 07:12 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHawk51 View Post
LOL...LOL.. It's funny that you brought that up, cause I told the wife the exact same thing when we were looking for our new rig.
Great minds think alike!
'14 Denali XL
Old 12-11-2014, 07:19 PM   #15

I am convinced that whoever is designing these things does not use them. If they did many things would have been done differently. I really don't think Jayco (or any of the manufacturers) pay much attention to customer suggestions. It's all done by sales statistics and the bean counters.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 10:14 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnchuck100 View Post
I am convinced that whoever is designing these things does not use them. If they did many things would have been done differently. I really don't think Jayco (or any of the manufacturers) pay much attention to customer suggestions. It's all done by sales statistics and the bean counters.
I have to disagree with you a little bit tn. If good sales statistics are the result of poor designs, it would stand to reason that good designs would increase sales? IMHO the RV industry is still evolving and while some issues seem to be obvious, the industry does gets better every year....IMHO

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 03:09 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
I have to disagree with you a little bit tn. If good sales statistics are the result of poor designs, it would stand to reason that good designs would increase sales? IMHO the RV industry is evolving and while some issues seem to be obvious, the industry does gets better every year....IMHO
So then, this is possibly a ploy to get us to buy what is currently the best of what is available of the "not so friendly" RV Layouts ! Ah Ca-rumba !

Any man can treat a lady right for one night, but it takes a great man to treat her right for the rest of her life.
GrayHawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 06:40 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
I have to disagree with you a little bit tn. If good sales statistics are the result of poor designs, it would stand to reason that good designs would increase sales? IMHO the RV industry is still evolving and while some issues seem to be obvious, the industry does gets better every year....IMHO
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying, and I think I'm agreeing, so excuse me if I'm off base here. But Wally World is the world's largest purveyor of unadulterated crap, and their sales revenue beats every other company in the world. And they're having a bad year!

So would raising quality decrease their bottom line? Probably.
'14 Denali XL
Old 12-13-2014, 07:05 PM   #19

If every purchaser made their rv decision based on quality design and workmanship instead of price we would see the quality and design improve, but the cost would also go up. My experience and from what I have learned on this site is what I based my Eagle purchase on. I have been happy with the result, thus far.
Imnaha.Mansion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 08:32 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imnaha.Mansion View Post
If every purchaser made their rv decision based on quality design and workmanship instead of price we would see the quality and design improve, but the cost would also go up.
Absolutely true. And that's just fine. Of course, not everyone would put quality over price. Yugos and Rolls Royces.

Apparently, RV manufacturers don't have enough volume to allow much choice in product components. Look through a cheapo camper, a mid-priced one and a fairly high end unit. Lots of interchangeables in there. But we can ask that the nuts and bolts are snug!