Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-13-2022, 08:22 PM   #1

Short light cycle traffic lights?

Has anyone run into states that seem to have shorter than usual traffic light green to red cycles for the given speed? It seems Texas seems to be such where even driving our Toad I have to jam on the brakes to not run the light. It's impossible not to while driving our Greyhawk with the vehicle in tow behind even driving a good bit below the speed limit.

How do you guys typically handle those situations? Blow the horn to warn opposite direction people? Jam on the brakes and hope your towable doesn't jack-knife behind you?
Old 06-14-2022, 03:32 AM   #2

Avoid the states that do this! I'm wondering if you get a ticket and fight it in court, will the judge be lenient on you? Is there proof that the time cycles have changed?

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 05:00 AM   #3
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suprnova74 View Post
Has anyone run into states that seem to have shorter than usual traffic light green to red cycles for the given speed? It seems Texas seems to be such where even driving our Toad I have to jam on the brakes to not run the light. It's impossible not to while driving our Greyhawk with the vehicle in tow behind even driving a good bit below the speed limit.

How do you guys typically handle those situations? Blow the horn to warn opposite direction people? Jam on the brakes and hope your towable doesn't jack-knife behind you?
Pretty much discourage the horn blowing thing (here in Texas anyway) as you barrel through a red light in an RV towing a car, I promise it won't help. Otherwise, been in the North DFW area for 11 years and have yet to have a problem stopping at a traffic light. Ordinarily too, if your toad has brakes it should stop when the TV stops and if you're in city traffic and frequently having to slam on the brakes at intersections you likely need to slow down.
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 07:18 AM   #4

Guilty Officer

I have been guilty of running through Yellow turning Red when towing. Mainly in the beginning of towing. Now I stop and the Toad Stops, so little drama. Can't speak to shorter transition times. It's those full speed 4 lane highways (55 mph) with Stop lights every cross road that get me. Get up to speed and Yellow light, rinse and repeat.
Old 06-14-2022, 07:53 AM   #5

When I was working I drove tankers that grossed out at 79,000 pounds. Once, going through a small town I came upon a intersection where the light went from green to red with just a momentary yellow light. I was going slightly under the 40mph speed limit. Got pulled over and given a citation for failing to stop at a red light.

While there I timed the yellow light. It was barely on for 3 seconds, where all of the other lights that I timed the yellow was on for 5 seconds or more.

I took a day off work and went to court to fight this unjust citation. After showing the judge my list of intersections with the yellow light On times and explaining it wasn't possible to stop a loaded tanker in 3 seconds, and that it was the fault of the timing that I was cited.

His comments were that the court was not responsible for timing of the lights, that I freely admitted that the light was red when I went through the intersection, and that anyone driving such a heavy vehicle should not be driving as fast as the posted speed limit! He pronounced me "GUILTY". It cost me $50.00 and a days pay. It still makes me mad when I think about it, but the law is the law.

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 07:55 AM   #6

I'd say it would be more city dependant than state.

Not all cities keep up with the maintenance to keep lights on a good cycle. Happens here in downtown F. Worth. One week you can do 30 and every light will be matched then the next week you'll get stuck at one and that thows everything off.

What do you do? Slow down, speed up or find a different route.

ROOF REPLACEMENT

PARTIAL FLOOR REPLACEMENT
Scott91370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 07:57 AM   #7
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suprnova74 View Post

Times are controlled by computer and time of day has a lot to do with cycles as well as sensors in side streets at intersections. High accident intersections can have longer times on certain phases and some cities use a “lagging left” system which sets the left turn lights to function after the red cycle. That said, computers malfunction and systems get screwed up. Add to that emergency equipment responding to calls can control lights they are approaching to give them the green light. That can cause short cycles as well.

I watch the walk lights as I am approaching an intersection. It does not always work but most have a 10-14 flash cycle before the light turns yellow. If it is flashing, slow down, is is likely going to change. Otherwise defensive driving works.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 09:44 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post

I watch the walk lights as I am approaching an intersection. It does not always work but most have a 10-14 flash cycle before the light turns yellow. If it is flashing, slow down, is is likely going to change. Otherwise defensive driving works.
I do the same. One light in particular in my area is around a curve in a 50 mph stretch. I can see the walk signal on the opposing side. If it’s flashing, I start slowing and sure enough it’ll be a yellow light as the stop light comes into view. Use this method other places too.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote