Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-15-2021, 08:31 AM   #21

A motorhome I had prior had a skylight in the living area. Gosh I hated that thing. I had enough light as it was; the skylight was just a massive heat sink in the summer and something else I had to worry about leaking somewhere down the road.

I sprayed that skylight w/ a few layers of Krylon. I taped all around the skylight and had at it. It didn’t flake off, and did the job. I did clean the skylight w/ acetone before applying.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 09:18 AM   #22

We put these in our vents: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And we made a similar "pillow" that fits into the skylight. Used some upholstery foam and attached reflectix with spray adhesive. We put them into the vents/skylight during hot days and take them out when we don't want them.
Old 04-21-2021, 11:57 AM   #23

We used something similar to this. There is a bigger size that fits perfectly for skylights. We are in south florida also, and it does a great job. My wife likes to hang laundry in the shower and she said the sunlight helps it dry.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0024E6QOO...ing=UTF8&psc=1

There is also this shade for skylights;

https://www.campingworld.com/lights-...ade-19495.html

https://www.campingworld.com/lights-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 12:00 PM   #24

This may help https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0024E6QX0...v_lig_dp_it_im
timnsusie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 12:02 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by timnsusie View Post
I think this item is meant to only fit the Square skylights with Vents that open up. I looked at it before I purchased the foil cover, it wouldn’t fit my skylight in the bathroom.
Old 04-21-2021, 01:11 PM   #26

I have never really noticed any major heat issues.

When we were in Alaska over summer solstice, light was an issue. We taped in tinfoil, worked good. I would think a good long term solution would be to install some reflex,, with some stucky velcro

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 01:15 PM   #27

We disliked the heat and early morning light coming through the skylight. Cut an old windshield sunshine ld (looks like aluminum foil on both sides) to fit. Used Velcro to stick it to the frame. Works great.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 01:15 PM   #28

We have one vent, a clear ABS plastic dome above the shower. We like the clearness for light but it can get too bright and hot. I cut a square piece of polycarbonate to fit the bottom of the housing and attached it with four industrial velcro patches. Then I sanded and scuffed the clear polycarbonate to give it a frosted appearance. Finally I cut a piece of silver mylar survival blanket to fit the lexan sheet and applied silver duct tape to the edges to give it some body. Now I have the option of a clear dome, diffused light through the lexan sheet, or reflect light and heat by placing the mylar sheet on the lexan sheet before velcroing it in place. So far I'm very happy with this setup, but don't know what effect the sun will have on the clear dome and housing under it. In Michigan intense sunlight generally isn't a problem.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 01:23 PM   #29

Best for the money... So fast and clean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvspl View Post
We put these in our vents: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And we made a similar "pillow" that fits into the skylight. Used some upholstery foam and attached reflectix with spray adhesive. We put them into the vents/skylight during hot days and take them out when we don't want them.
X2
chevyman30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 01:30 PM   #30

Smile too much light and heat

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Insulat...033152&sr=8-16

this pops in and out, in about 2 seconds. Insulated and blocks all the light.

as simple as it comes. No roof climbing, no painting, no follow up and easily and quickly removable when you want. Keep things simple

KISS ( keep things simple s____d.)
haweinberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 01:56 PM   #31

https://www.amazon.com/Insulator-Sky...t-video&sr=1-5

Search Term: RV Skylight Cover
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 03:25 PM   #32

I replaced my skylights with after market white instead of clear. Also I have a mini blind on the one in the kitchen. After market skylight are way thicker and stronger. I stepped through a skylight on my previous Jayco. That's when I found out how thin they were.
steve.jurnigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 04:55 PM   #33

don't over think it.
various sizes available

https://www.amazon.com/LATCH-Skyligh...045611&sr=8-16
jbergsli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 07:13 PM   #34

Don’t have a link handy though one of the rv supply sites, Camping World, sells a foam square ‘padded’ insert. That is about 2 to 3” tall. I actually just left the plastic wrap on it on the two or three I purchased for use down in Florida. I just pushed them up and it is a snug fit and figure will keep the heat out. Ok, found it, part # 106744, Vent cushion strap.
https://www.campingworld.com/vent-cu...ap-106744.html

Sadly I have only taken my 21’ jayco skylark with front bath out one time this year. Was going to do it this weekend but between gas to tow 4hrs each way and two day rv park fee I said screw it and will just do a day trip with a friend in the car. I know, I feel bad even typing above.

I am now retired, no less, just have to force myself to get the rv out for a trip. Will be dam hot starting next week here in florida though. Just got an application for Coast to Coast so maybe that will make it less expensive to stay a rv places.

Also, sadly, when mine was made back in 2011 they did not add wiring for a fan in the ceiling where the center skylight is.

It has led lights in the ceiling and the bathroom has a powered fan. I infer I need DC powered wiring, would run off the charged rv battery instead of shore power is my guess. So would need to see where I can piggy tail off such wiring in the rv near the skylight I want to install the fantastic fan into. It cost a small fortune to hire someone to do this type of work it seems.
skylimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 06:42 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Roamer View Post
We disliked the heat and early morning light coming through the skylight. Cut an old windshield sunshine ld (looks like aluminum foil on both sides) to fit. Used Velcro to stick it to the frame. Works great.
I too used a car windshield shade since my shower skylight has a weird shape. Doubled it for thickness, taped the edges with duct tape, and installed with velcro which makes it removable.
Texdan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 06:58 PM   #36

I just stuff a pillow in the opening.

In the bathroom. It stays in place and is easy to remove when I want light or to use vent. Which is rare. I use a square couch pillow in the living room also. I do not use anything in the shower room. It is double insulated.
TexasPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 07:28 PM   #37

The “square” skylight “Vent” pillows don’t fit in the shower skylight. There is a certain size that does. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CX7ZML8...Q7R7G6S8364XMC
Old 04-22-2021, 09:10 PM   #38

Painted both skylight outer bubbles on the roof with multiple coats of plasticdip. Works good at stopping the heat. Jay.
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 09:50 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayco2015JayFLIGHT View Post
Hello all I have a question about the skylight. It letting so much heat. The bathroom is like a sauna. Wondering what my options are? Anyone have any ideas? Should I paint it white to block out and reflect the light? How has everyone else dealt with this issue? Thanks in advance
Depending on the size you may want to consider using a MaxAir type vent cover over it.
Bubblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 05:35 AM   #40

On our previous TT, it had a clear/opaque skylight over the shower/tub area. The sun's rays kept the bathroom extra warm, as the OP described. I bought some Krylon Fusion paint that matched the roof and painted the skylight. It stopped the sun's rays from coming in so direct, but still let enough light come through to brighten the bathroom.
ShotgunZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote