Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-24-2021, 07:19 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
I used Henry's Tropicool on mine, worked well for helping strengthen it and block the heat. I put it on very thick. ~CA
Did you use the aerosol can, or the brush on gallon? Any special preparation of the skylight?
Old 07-25-2021, 09:45 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16WhiteColly View Post
Did you use the aerosol can, or the brush on gallon? Any special preparation of the skylight?
I used dawn dishwashing soap and a sponge to clean the skylight and when I purchased the gallon of Henry's tropicool I also purchased a set of three cheap brushes. The brushes were cheap (~5$) so I didn't have to worry with cleaning them, I used one brush, waited for the first coat to set, then a second brush for the second coat. The coating did not lay down perfectly flat, but you can't tell that from the ground level. ~CA
Old 07-25-2021, 12:27 PM   #23

Does the Henry’s paint on just like a typical latex paint? And sticks to the plastic good? How fast does it dry, before a second, third coat can be applied? Can you post a picture of the skylite with the Henry’s applied
ultrarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 12:54 PM   #24

Home Depot sells the Henry’s in an aerosol can, wonder how that would work. I am tempted to buy a can and try it on e piece of scrap plexiglass.
Really would like to see a picture of it applied to the skylight.
Old 07-25-2021, 01:59 PM   #25

Has anyone tried the as seen on TV Flex Seal spray for this job? Looks like it may work.
Old 07-25-2021, 02:47 PM   #26

Due to shoulder surgery not too long ago, I doubt I will be getting on the rooftop any time soon so no pictures. I can tell you that it was similar in thickness to something like elmers glue and it did not lay down perfectly flat like latex paint. It was thick and a bit wavy which I brushed out for the most part but I could see waviness in it after I was finished. Two coats a few hours apart (check the instructions, may have been 4 hours).

From inside the waviness isn't visible, from the ground level it is hard to see the vent but you can't really see the waviness or brush marks from the ground either. It is bright white.

It has been a while since I did this (2~3 years ago) and it has adhered very well last check before last winter. I only did the skylight but I also included about a 2" perimeter coating to see how well it would adhere to the roof epdm as I wanted to test for that as I may coat the entire roof with Henry's and I wanted to make a test prior to doing so. Also, inside the RV, there is only a very little bit of light now that I can see through the skylight area, enough to tell it is daylight but not a lot of light and no more heat can be felt under the skylight as I could feel plenty of heat from under it prior to coating it. ~CA

Additional thought, if I do my entire roof or did another skylight, I would likely go with some cheap ~4" rollers (4" for the skylight) instead of brushes... maybe, it doesn't look bad even with brushes though.
Old 07-25-2021, 03:23 PM   #27

Quote:
Has anyone tried the as seen on TV Flex Seal spray for this job? Looks like it may work.
One of my neighbors just did his with the liquid Flex Seal. He was happy with the results. I personally haven't seen it though.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 06:44 PM   #28

Just seems like the Flex Seal would lay down smooth and evenly, being a spray. I am going to try it. Thanks.
Old 07-26-2021, 03:27 AM   #29

Quote:
Just seems like the Flex Seal would lay down smooth and evenly, being a spray. I am going to try it. Thanks.
My neighbor used the brush-on liquid, not the spray or paste.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 01:37 PM   #30

Report back with pictures when it’s done. I’m interested myself
Thanks
ultrarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 03:59 PM   #31

Will be Sept. before I get around to it,
Old 07-27-2021, 08:09 AM   #32

Skylight reinforcement

I did mine at the last minute before our current trip to FL. I used the liquid flex seal in the pint can. I put on 2 layers (it’s thick stuff). I didn’t like how yellow the plastic was turning from age. I also put new dicor around the edges. The pic I have only shows the flex seal after I peeled the tape away with 2 coats.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0903.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	74063
Old 07-27-2021, 08:47 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
I did mine at the last minute before our current trip to FL. I used the liquid flex seal in the pint can. I put on 2 layers (it’s thick stuff). I didn’t like how yellow the plastic was turning from age. I also put new dicor around the edges. The pic I have only shows the flex seal after I peeled the tape away with 2 coats.
Attachment 74063
Looks great! I’m gonna have to do this…. I put reflectix up in my skylights room… was letting entirely too much heat in.
Furrion Vision S 7” Rear and Side View Cameras
2021JayFlight28BHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 09:19 AM   #34

Measure and order new, have ready/ spare, yours is BRITTLE, I suspect and epoxy would not help hail damage, or low limb
thenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 09:26 AM   #35

The best solution is to replace the crappy acrylic with a Lexan skylight. The Lexan is UV resistant, Plexi isn't. That's why it turns yellow an brittle. Plus it's just plain thin to start with. Lexan replacements are all over the place and don't cost that much more than a quart of flex seal. Painting is basically chasing a five dollar problem with a twenty.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 08:24 AM   #36

I just got around to adding more layers of plastidip. I originally did 5 layers white and still let too much heat and light in. Got rid of the ugly yellow tho.
I decided to add a couple coats of black to help block light and heat better. Then 3 more coats of white on top of that. 10 coats total! Achieved my goal tho. Took care of heat problem. Still let's some light in.
3 pics
1st pic- final extra 2 coat of black and 3 white(10coats)
2nd pic- original
3rd pic - 5 coats white only
They picked their own order but you can see the difference in each pic.
Attached Thumbnails
20210806_091317.jpg  
Attached Images

Jayco2015JayFLIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 08:50 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
Attachment 74063
Thanks. That looks great, I will be doing that. Great picture. Brush on or roll on? How old was your skylight?
Old 08-06-2021, 09:10 AM   #38

Quote:
Thanks. That looks great, I will be doing that. Great picture. Brush on or roll on? How old was your skylight?

2016 & I rolled it on.