Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-06-2021, 04:12 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Ft Meyers
Posts: 244
Skylight reinforcement

I'm curious if there is some kind of epoxy or something I can coat the skylight with to strengthen it in case of hail or or before it starts to crack from sun damage. Its 6 years old and super yellow.. no cracks yet. I want to paint it white to block some of the heat and make it look nice from the outside. Either some kind of roof coating or plastidip. I'm sure that would help strengthen it a little but I was thinking something harder first.
If anyone has done something like this I'd love to hear...
Jayco2015JayFLIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 07:13 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Springtown
Posts: 1,087
I used Henry's Tropicool on mine, worked well for helping strengthen it and block the heat. I put it on very thick. ~CA
__________________
2010 GreyHawk 31SS
craigav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 07:30 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Ft Meyers
Posts: 244
I may just use plastidip for now instead of buying a whole gallon to do a skylight. Kinda the same thing no? Plastidup Is liquid rubber. I think Henry's is as well.. i was thinking of maybe fiber glassing it first to make it rock hard. I've never used fiber glass be4 I dont even know how it would work with on skylight material. Just a thought.

I do want to eventually recover my entire roof with either Henry's or dicor roof coating. The thing is the previous owner has a coat of something up there he said he had painted on when he bought it. Its starting to wear off and peel in certain places. I think I would have to peel up the old coat first. It does peel up. But peeling the whole roof sounds like a huge job. Would prob take a long time. Prob use Henry. Dicor roof coating is a 2 step process. Henry's saves a step? And a little cash..
Jayco2015JayFLIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 07:53 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
67L48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Frederick
Posts: 136
Hail got my skylight a couple years ago. I grabbed a new one off of Amazon for about $40 and it came with hardware and a tube of Dicor. I had never done any roof or sealant work on an RV before, but found the job to be not too bad.

Rather than board up your old, brittle, yellowed skylight, I'd either ride it out till it breaks or proactively replace it. Then, you haven't defeated the function of your skylight and you start over. Then, when stored, I'd find a way to cover at least your skylight, if not your entire roof, from the damage of weather and UV.
__________________
Future RV: Potentially an Eagle HT 284BHOK
Current TV: 2019 F-350 CCSB 4WD SRW 6.7L PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Fomer RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 08:33 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Ft Meyers
Posts: 244
I hear you. But the lap sealant still seems really well on there with no cracks. So I can only imagine how hard it is to get off without damaging the epdm. Definately dont want to replace yet. And I honestly dont want the skylight. Guess it's good for the extra headspace but Let's in way too much heat. I'm in florida. That's why I have a light in there lol
Jayco2015JayFLIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 08:58 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Springtown
Posts: 1,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayco2015JayFLIGHT View Post
I may just use plastidip for now instead of buying a whole gallon to do a skylight. Kinda the same thing no? Plastidup Is liquid rubber. I think Henry's is as well.. i was thinking of maybe fiber glassing it first to make it rock hard. I've never used fiber glass be4 I dont even know how it would work with on skylight material. Just a thought.

I do want to eventually recover my entire roof with either Henry's or dicor roof coating. The thing is the previous owner has a coat of something up there he said he had painted on when he bought it. Its starting to wear off and peel in certain places. I think I would have to peel up the old coat first. It does peel up. But peeling the whole roof sounds like a huge job. Would prob take a long time. Prob use Henry. Dicor roof coating is a 2 step process. Henry's saves a step? And a little cash..

I am not familiar with plastidip vs Henry's, however you are correct that you don't need a whole gallon for the skylight. I coated my skylight earlier this year and sealed the can back up, if I had thought about it then and if the contents are still good in the near future I will use the rest of it to coat the A/C shroud, the RV vent caps, Fridge vent cap and maybe another coat on the skylight. I should have coated all of that to start with as I don't know now if the remaining contents in the gallon can are still good. ~CA
__________________
2010 GreyHawk 31SS
craigav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 09:06 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Ft Meyers
Posts: 244
Hopefully it's still good for you. You must have alot left inthink in the reviews someone said it was enough to do 2 coats on their 20footer with 1 gallon. So you want to use it like eternabond tape basically and cover all the sealant for extra protections?

Plastidip is a spray 5.50 a can at walmart. Its liquid rubber and can be peeled off when needed. But adheres really well. I've used it on car rims and my propane cover. Among other things.
Jayco2015JayFLIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 09:42 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Tunce the traveler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Bellingham,Wa.
Posts: 6,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
I am not familiar with plastidip vs Henry's, however you are correct that you don't need a whole gallon for the skylight. ~CA
In many cities they have stores that sell used building left over supplies like tubes of caulk and “ Henry “, wood,roofing, you get the picture. In Bellingham my go to store for just a little of something is “ ReStore”.
__________________
2010 Jayco Hybrid EXP21M
2013 Toureg TDI
Tunce the traveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 10:06 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Tunce the traveler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Bellingham,Wa.
Posts: 6,265
These are some of the items I’ve picked up that are all good but just enough for what I need to complete a job at home or a volunteer project for people that need help but no funds available for fixing them. These came from my local ReStore and chemicals come from our local chemical recycling station that has shelves of good leftover products just for the taking. A good portion of this comes from people that have passed away and the family has no further use for it as the kids have plenty of their own and they don’t live in the same city and they flew in to help Mom out.
Attached Thumbnails
5C171593-7D68-4596-8F23-45F6484ECDA8.jpg  
__________________
2010 Jayco Hybrid EXP21M
2013 Toureg TDI
Tunce the traveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 08:26 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Ft Meyers
Posts: 244
Did 4 coats of plastidip. I was hoping it would block a little more light.btop pick before 2nd pic after. You can diff from the pics it not quite aas bright but hopefully it will help with the 100plus degree bathroom. I'll let you know in a couple days. Here's some pics. Def looks better from the outside. The yellow looked bad. Next project tonwash down the roof real good.
Attached Thumbnails
20210709_083438.jpg   20210709_101850.jpg   20210709_085907.jpg   20210709_094040.jpg  
Jayco2015JayFLIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 10:27 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
LuckyDuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 1,899
Looks good! Did you just tape it off and spray it on?
__________________
2018 JayFlight SLX 212QBW
1999 Ford F-250 Super Duty Lariat SC, 7.3L PSD, 3.73
Transfer Flow 50 gal aux; Andersen WDH; Prodigy P2
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 10:34 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Ft Meyers
Posts: 244
First I washed with dawn soap. Rinsed real good then rubbed down with alcohol.
I dont know if your familiar with plastidip but after the first 2 coats I peeled the tape and re taped bc if it forms a lip over the tape, it will probably peel the dip up with it as plastidip is peelable. Hope that makes sense.
Jayco2015JayFLIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 12:49 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
LuckyDuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 1,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayco2015JayFLIGHT View Post
First I washed with dawn soap. Rinsed real good then rubbed down with alcohol.
I dont know if your familiar with plastidip but after the first 2 coats I peeled the tape and re taped bc if it forms a lip over the tape, it will probably peel the dip up with it as plastidip is peelable. Hope that makes sense.
Never used it but that makes sense. Thanks!
BTW, I’ve used this in our bath skylight — helps a lot. https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Insulat.../dp/B0024E6QX0
__________________
2018 JayFlight SLX 212QBW
1999 Ford F-250 Super Duty Lariat SC, 7.3L PSD, 3.73
Transfer Flow 50 gal aux; Andersen WDH; Prodigy P2
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 12:02 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Bayoutalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Highlands
Posts: 435
A neighbor here in the park painted his recently with Flex Seal liquid. He said it did a great job and he is happy. No idea about longevity as it was done a few weeks ago.
__________________
Cliff

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 12:24 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Port Saint Lucie
Posts: 1,048
One of my biggest fears is my roof and skylight! So are we saying plastiDip or other rubberized product will strengthen the skylight and stop hail from cracking it.

The OP also asked about fibergalssing over it. I kinda like that idea. Does anyone here have advice and or experience on doing FG for him and or the rest of us?
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 12:49 PM   #16
Member
 
longleen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Anaheim
Posts: 38
Fiberglass

When I was a kid in the ‘60’s I worked in a surfboard shop. Most boards were made out of some type of balsa wood or poly urethane foam. Epoxy will eat styrofoam and some other types of plastic. You need to find what works with what before you slap on the epoxy. Things probably changed a lot in 60 years though.
__________________
Alante 31P
CHF, SuperSteer trackbar
2X Interstate grp 27
Dish Wally
longleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 03:34 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Hollander Mutthaulers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L48 View Post
Hail got my skylight a couple years ago. I grabbed a new one off of Amazon for about $40 and it came with hardware and a tube of Dicor. I had never done any roof or sealant work on an RV before, but found the job to be not too bad.

Rather than board up your old, brittle, yellowed skylight, I'd either ride it out till it breaks or proactively replace it. Then, you haven't defeated the function of your skylight and you start over. Then, when stored, I'd find a way to cover at least your skylight, if not your entire roof, from the damage of weather and UV.
Yeah, our skylight succumbed to 2.5" hail, Memorial Day, 2018, in Ogallala, Nebraska. Smashed the vent cover, but spared the vent mostly. Gave me a good excuse to put in a Fantastic Fan after we returned home. And the shattered frosted door glass... I was able to put in the smoked door glass I had always wanted. For the skylight, I found a (quite pricey but worth it) clear polycarbonate that I could jump up and down on all day without it having a care. I made a removeable frosted plexiglass sheet to diffuse the light and restrict the heat and a silver mylar sheet to lay on the plexiglass to reflect the light and heat. Really like the new parts. The hail storm was exciting and kind of terrifying, but the mods that resulted are fantastic. We like our dinged-up Tahoe and love our little trailer.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 04:15 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Charleston
Posts: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
I used Henry's Tropicool on mine, worked well for helping strengthen it and block the heat. I put it on very thick. ~CA
I did the same, worked fine to cover a crack in it too.
__________________
Velocity Blue 2020 F-250 XLT Crew Cab with Short Bed (bought 12/30/2020)
2021 Jay Flight 28BHS (bought 11/14/2020)
E4-10k Equalizer Hitch
Furrion Vision S 7” Rear and Side View Cameras
2021JayFlight28BHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 04:38 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Chillicothe
Posts: 435
We got our unit in February, but as soon as the weather warmed up, my daughter, the “special RV roof assistant” coated both our skylights with white plasticdip. 1.5 years later so far so good. Let’s in light but blocks a lot of heat. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 04:49 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Ft Meyers
Posts: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2504 View Post
We got our unit in February, but as soon as the weather warmed up, my daughter, the “special RV roof assistant” coated both our skylights with white plasticdip. 1.5 years later so far so good. Let’s in light but blocks a lot of heat. Jay
I did 4 coats. Looks way better than the yellowed look. But as far as heat, it helped a little but not enough. I'm going to put a coat of black or 2 and then do another 4 or 5 coats of white on top of that. Hopefully the middle black layer will block out the heat. I'm going to do the fan vent cover too.
Jayco2015JayFLIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Jayco, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.