Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-18-2024, 10:56 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Sunshine Coast
Posts: 103
Question Slide Floor Leaks

Travelled yesterday through driving rain in Oregon. When we opened the slides we had wet areas on the floor of both corners of one slide and running out from under the fireplace on the other slide. Has anyone had the same experience and if so, what was your solution?
Teroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 11:49 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2023
Location: Jefferson city
Posts: 326
Check that the slides are coming all the way in to get a good seal. Go around the outside and check. Or, have it bright outside, close all your shades and look for daylight coming in.

Mine were about a 1/4Ē out when it came from the factory.
__________________
Mark B

2021 GMC half ton T/V
2022 Jayfeather 25RB
Anderson WDH
Markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 12:28 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Sunshine Coast
Posts: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markb5900 View Post
Check that the slides are coming all the way in to get a good seal. Go around the outside and check. Or, have it bright outside, close all your shades and look for daylight coming in.

Mine were about a 1/4Ē out when it came from the factory.
Thanks, but it's not leaking when the slides are out. I closed the slides, travelled through driving rain for about 4 hours. When we open the slides the floor is wet in the corners of the slide on the floor (carpet) and wet under the fireplace on the other slide.
Teroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 12:30 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2023
Location: Jefferson city
Posts: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teroy View Post
Thanks, but it's not leaking when the slides are out. I closed the slides, travelled through driving rain for about 4 hours. When we open the slides the floor is wet in the corners of the slide on the floor (carpet) and wet under the fireplace on the other slide.
I meant when they are closed. There is a rubber seal that should compress around slide to make it water tight when going down the road. On the outside
__________________
Mark B

2021 GMC half ton T/V
2022 Jayfeather 25RB
Anderson WDH
Markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 12:35 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Sunshine Coast
Posts: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markb5900 View Post
I meant when they are closed. There is a rubber seal that should compress around slide to make it water tight when going down the road. On the outside
Thanks, I'll check. I'm thinking maybe if the slide ends are wet when I close the slides, the rubber seal squeegees the water off and it runs down the slide causing the last bit of drippings to wet the floor.
Teroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 12:53 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
ARoamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: St Johns MI
Posts: 1,722
We have had water on the floor at the rear of the slim rack slide after driving in heavy rain. Since it's almost over the wheels I think it's being splashed into the corner from underneath. I cut and glued a piece of flexable closed cell foam to the slideout to block the road spray. I haven't had a leak since, but we haven't been driving through any heavy rain so I'm not 100% sure of it being a fix.
Attached Thumbnails
20240218_105249.jpg  
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 12:59 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Sunshine Coast
Posts: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARoamer View Post
We have had water on the floor at the rear of the slim rack slide after driving in heavy rain. Since it's almost over the wheels I think it's being splashed into the corner from underneath. I cut and glued a piece of flexable closed cell foam to the slideout to block the road spray. I haven't had a leak since, but we haven't been driving through any heavy rain so I'm not sure of it being a fix.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to make sure the slide ends are dry before I close them. If we still get a wet floor when we travel in rain, I'll try your fix.
Teroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 01:02 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Sunshine Coast
Posts: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARoamer View Post
We have had water on the floor at the rear of the slim rack slide after driving in heavy rain. Since it's almost over the wheels I think it's being splashed into the corner from underneath. I cut and glued a piece of flexable closed cell foam to the slideout to block the road spray. I haven't had a leak since, but we haven't been driving through any heavy rain so I'm not sure of it being a fix.
Hi again. When you close your slide does it compress the foam? The skirt on the bottom of our slide would contact the foam.
Teroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 01:13 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
ARoamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: St Johns MI
Posts: 1,722
Yes it does slightly. I fitted it with the slide closed, applied glue and shoved it into place.
__________________
2020 Pinnacle 32rlts
640 watts solar, 300AH lithium
2020 High Country Duramax 3500
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 11:24 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Sunshine Coast
Posts: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARoamer View Post
Yes it does slightly. I fitted it with the slide closed, applied glue and shoved it into place.
Thank you.
Teroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 06:52 AM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2023
Location: Hawthorne
Posts: 2
I'm not saying this is the problem you are having , but I had leaks from around the windows ,I removed the trim on the inside of the window and saw light coming in because the window was not set properly thus leaving gaps , I reset the windows and used a window sealant to add an extra layer of protection
Defiant1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 10:10 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Sunshine Coast
Posts: 103
Thumbs up

I believe ARoamer has the solution. I'll get some closed cell foam and try it.
Teroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 01:09 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Near Pittsburgh
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teroy View Post
Travelled yesterday through driving rain in Oregon. When we opened the slides we had wet areas on the floor of both corners of one slide and running out from under the fireplace on the other slide. Has anyone had the same experience and if so, what was your solution?
You didn't mention if it was raining when you closed the slides. If it was NOT raining, then ignore this answer. If it WAS raining, then it is likely that the rain, the water on the slideout roof, and slideout sides was drawn in as you closed the slides before the trip. It is unlikely that you would have seen this as you prepared to leave for the next location.

During the trip, all the water drained down from the slideout roof and walls and onto the floor since the. The wiping action of the rubber seals doesn't catch all of the water, plus there are some gaps as the slides are closed until the slide seals itself tight against the RV wall. A hard driving rain makes the problem worse.

We have had this issue several times, especially when it is raining hard when we pack up. Light rain isn't necessarily going to make this happen, but hard rain makes it more likely.

Maybe there is something different going on with your issue, but give this some thought if you can't find an actual problem
cmikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 01:12 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Sunshine Coast
Posts: 103
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmikal View Post
You didn't mention if it was raining when you closed the slides. If it was NOT raining, then ignore this answer. If it WAS raining, then it is likely that the rain, the water on the slideout roof, and slideout sides was drawn in as you closed the slides before the trip. It is unlikely that you would have seen this as you prepared to leave for the next location.

During the trip, all the water drained down from the slide roof and walls. The wiping action of the rubber seals doesn't catch all of the water, plus there are some gaps as the slides are closed until the slide seals itself tight against the RV wall.

We have had this issue several times, especially when it is raining hard when we pack up. Light rain isn't necessarily going to make this happen, but hard rain makes it more likely.

Maybe there is something different going on with your issue, but give this some thought if you can't find an actual problem
Hi,
I thought of that too. Next time it's raining and I close the slides, I'll wipe them down before. Thanks.
Teroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 08:47 AM   #15
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2023
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1
Slide leaks when towing in the rain

Sorry I am so late with this reply. We had exactly the same experience while towing our 2022 Jay Feather 24RL in the rain (also in Oregon and SW Washington). Since we are under warranty, we took it to Camping World where we purchased it. The tech analyzed the issue right away and submitted a warranty request to repair it. He installed two new rubber deflector strips, one on the slide itself and another one under the coach where the slide rests when closed. We have not had to tow in the rain since, but I am confident it will be fine now. I am convinced there is a Tech Service Bulletin on this as it was all done under warranty. Please see the photos. The one with arrows indicate the new seal on the slide itself. I will also say Camping World in Troutdale has been great about taking care of the all-too-many issues we have had with this "Covid Built" unit
Click image for larger version

Name:	Coachside seal.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	92863

Click image for larger version

Name:	Outside Slide rubber seal_1 arrows.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	92864
D_Eaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Jayco, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.