Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-02-2011, 09:09 PM   #1

Angry Slide out - help needed!

I picked up my new Jayco 30.5 DBSA yesterday and made the 450 mile trip home today. I extended my living / dining room slide without a problem but now it won't retract. The same thing happened at the dealer and they rewired a connection in the underbelly and felt it was fixed. Obviously I still have a problem. I'm now stuck in my driveway with the slide extended.

If it extends without a problem but seems to have now electrical power to retract...........where do I start?
mdordahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:46 PM   #2

Someone here should be able to talk you through a manual retraction hopefully, but Monday, call Jayco directly. Let them know your situation. You won't have to go back to the original dealer. They will put you in contact with someone local to you to fix it. Ummmm, sucky part is that you might have to pay for the house call if you can't drive it to a local repair facility... You'll have to get the down-low from Jayco directly.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:23 AM   #3

Sorry to hear that. I am picking up the same model, in about two weeks. I hope I don't have the same problem.

Other than the slide, how do you like it?

Gibby3275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:53 AM   #4

I too have this issue (stuck open in my yard). According to Jayco, they are aware of this problem with living room slide only. I have motors that are white in color and have a black rubber covering. The procedure to manually retract the slide using a 9V battery did not work for me. Jayco is sending me three new motors (replace and send back the old ones). So far it has been two + weeks and no replacement motors; Jayco has kept me up-to-date on my issue and will work with any dealer I choose. I think the comment above concerning a "house call" not being covered is correct.

Jayco further states that the replacement motors use the same bolt pattern and wiring harness as the original ones. I plan on doing the swap out myself. Once I get my replacements I can let you know how difficult it is to swap out.
Shin Pond Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:02 AM   #5

Gibby - we looked for a long time to determine the desired floor plan. We love the layout and had a long trip home yesterday but I found the fifth wheel pulls like a dream. I'm towing with a Chevy Duramax / Allison and I'm incredibly happy with the stress free effortless towing.

I'll try and check connections and manually retract the slide today. We'll see if that works and what Jayco has to say about the issue. Three weeks to wait for motors is too long..........camping season is arriving soon!
Old 04-03-2011, 07:30 AM   #6

Are you dealing with the dealer or Jayco with the motor replacement? I would be on the phone with someone daily because someone dropped the ball. It's a warranty issue with a brand new trailer. Both FedEx and UPS have next day delivery service. You might mention the loss of revenue for them from the bad advertising via blogs and forums.

If I were a parts manager for Jayco and I knew I wasn't going to have to pay dealer shop rates to change out slide motors, Those puppies would have been on the truck, going out next day air THAT DAY with a parts return air bill.
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:43 AM   #7

@ Bob: For me, it is a warranty issue (2011 Eagle purchased 08/10); however, I am dealing with Jayco directly (I too purchased out of state and the local dealer is useless). I pick and choose my battles - Jayco has been excellent to deal with. Once they receive the parts in their warehouse, they will overnight it to me. Jayco did ask me if I was stuck at a campground with it and I told them no... It is in my yard and I have no immediate plans for it (end of April). I have posted my issues in a previous thread. To the OP of this thread, if I can assist in anyway, please let me know...
Old 04-03-2011, 02:44 PM   #8

This is not good. We will be picking up our Eagle in a couple weeks. Dealer is far away. Local dealer is over a hundred miles if they'll even help.

-Could other Eagle owners who experienced the problem or are very familiar with it give us an idea as to how pervasive the problem is?

-Please describe manual closing, whether it is difficult, easy, etc.

Thanks. And thanks to Moderator.
DW's Ride, '13 Expedition
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 02:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk+ View Post
Thanks. And thanks to Moderator.
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:38 PM   #10

I am the original poster. I eventually retracted my slide today and found it will work on an intermittent basis. I seem to need to tap lightly on the motor........sometimes that will work and sometimes not. I'll contact Jayco tomorrow. It's frustrating to have this happen on the very first day of ownership. I'm not seeing a location to place a wrench or socket on the mechanism to retract manually........I'll have to look further.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:31 PM   #11

Jayco seems to have a little problem with slides right from the factory. Both of our big slides don't extend out at the bottom like they should. World Wide RV sent a "technician" to adjust them and all he managed to do was to get the street side slide to not retract all the way in. So here we are traveling with the bottom of that slide sticking out about two inches. I knew we were in trouble when he crawled under the slide with a wrench in one hand and his cell phone in the other. We are headed for Idaho Falls to a dealer that thinks his crew can do the job. I guess we will find out in a couple of days.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:25 PM   #12

I was in contact with Jayco's customer service as well as the selling dealer today. Both of them treated me very well and plans are being made to proceed with a repair by a local dealer.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:37 PM   #13

Our trailer will be going into Bish's RV in Idaho Falls tomorrow morning. I will post on the outcome. So far they have been very helpful and even stored our extra truck and trailer so we wouldn't have any problem checking in to a campground. They even offered to plug us in at the shop for the night but we opted for a CG for television and internet.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:51 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdordahl View Post
I am the original poster. I eventually retracted my slide today and found it will work on an intermittent basis. I seem to need to tap lightly on the motor........sometimes that will work and sometimes not. I'll contact Jayco tomorrow. It's frustrating to have this happen on the very first day of ownership. I'm not seeing a location to place a wrench or socket on the mechanism to retract manually........I'll have to look further.
Please keep us posted on this. I have not had a single problem with my slides yet.
2015 Silverado 2500
rodro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:39 PM   #15

Received my replacement slide gears/motors today; I checked my dates... Two weeks from first notification to parts delivered (not the "+" that I earlier reported)
Old 04-09-2011, 12:28 PM   #16

As a follow up to my original post, Jayco and my selling dealer, Hilltop Trailer Sales in Minneapolis were excellent to work with on this issue. I had a new motor delivered to my door yesterday and my selling dealer had already made arrangements for a local repair to be done. After looking at it, I changed out the motor myself this afternoon. It was just two bolts and two wire connectors and an easy fix. The slide works great and all is well! Thanks to both Hilltop Trailer Sales and Jayco for the good service.
Old 04-09-2011, 02:07 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdordahl View Post
As a follow up to my original post, Jayco and my selling dealer, Hilltop Trailer Sales in Minneapolis were excellent to work with on this issue. I had a new motor delivered to my door yesterday and my selling dealer had already made arrangements for a local repair to be done. After looking at it, I changed out the motor myself this afternoon. It was just two bolts and two wire connectors and an easy fix. The slide works great and all is well! Thanks to both Hilltop Trailer Sales and Jayco for the good service.
I too swapped my motors out and finished today. Although, I had four bolts and four wires (+ & - plus the two brake wires) :hihi: