Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-20-2010, 06:09 PM   #1

Red face Slide out problems

We are considering purchasing a new Travel Trailer. We would like to get one with slide outs to give us more room. For the model we were considering (Jayco RK25) the slide out blocks the bathroom door when in. When we travel we like using the bathroom in the Trailer and also like having lunch while on the road. If someone could address the following concerns it would help.

1. Does the Trailer need to be level when the slide out is extended?
2. There is a an extension of the slide out that is raised about 4" above the floor
with no direct support below. Is it ok to walk on this raised area?
3. What problems or wear will occur with moving the slide out in and out as often
as 4 times a day?

Thanks to all
Sam Watson
jswatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 08:58 PM   #2

1. The trailer does not need to be level for the slide to operate/extend.
2. It is OK to walk on the raised portion of the slide floor even when it is retracted.
3. There should be no special problems with operating the slide as often as 4 times per day: however, if you operate it hundreds of times per year you will need to ensure that the slide supports and gears underneath the slide are kept properly lubricated.

My responses above are based on owning Jayco travel trailers with slides since 2007 and using the slides on frequent trips througout the years. We have never had a slide malfunction despite sometimes extending them when the trailers were not level and occasionally walking on the floor of the slides when they were retracted.

If you are wanting to avoid having the bathroom door blocked by the slide when it is retracted, you might want to consider another similar model. The regular Jayflight series (not the Jayflight G2 series) has an available 24RKS with a slide that is shorter than the slide on the G2 series 25RKS. This shorter slide does not block the bathroom door. On the 24RKS in the regular Jayflight series the refrigerator and wardrobe are not mounted on the slide with the dinette whereas on the 25RKS in the G2 series they are.

Whatever Jayco you choose I think you will be pleased with your investment.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:47 AM   #3

I have an 09 26bhs g2 and my slide also blocks the bathroom door halfway when slide is in. According to owners manuel the trailer should be level and stabilizer jacks in extended position. Now I know no ones probably going to put those down when your on the road. We slide ours out just enough to squeak in the bathroom door for a quick one. I also try to avoid standing on that lip when the slide is fully in. Granted were new at this so I'm just going by the book, I would think you probably want to have the trailer pretty level when extending the slide because the slide on mine and on yours is pretty deep. Best of Luck
lciancola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:20 AM   #4

We enquired about the leveling of the slide when on the road also. We were told that it's not imperative that the tt is completely or perfectly level, but it shouldn't be too far off either; find the least incline if possible if you are stopping for lunch or shopping).

But FYI- there was something mentioned that same day about the running refridgerator, where, you want it not far off level.... here's the thing, I can't remember which one is the concern whether it's the side-side, or front-back (they had a disected refridgerator on display and explained why when running the fridge the tt had to be leveled in one certain direction, but I can't remember off hand)
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:46 AM   #5

Smile

Yes Healthi is right about fridge being level, I checked my fridge manual and it states "The refridgerator is made to operate within 3% off level side to side and 6% off level front to back as looking at the front of the fridge. Operating it at more than these limits can cause damage to the cooling system and create a risk of personal injury or property damage. Make sure the vehicle is level before you operate the refridgerator." It also stated "While the fridge should be level when the vehicle is stopped, performance during travel is not usually effected". Hope this helps. Lin
lciancola is offline   Reply With Quote