Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-01-2022, 07:29 PM   #1

Slide-out - yea or nay?

I see something out there that is piquing my interest, and I can immediately see the pros, but I know nothing about the cons side of slide-outs.

Any insights or wisdom will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Rick
wordsmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 07:51 PM   #2

I think the pros outweigh the cons. The only two negatives that I can think of are the added weight and it is something that can fail, but most don't. I got my first rig with a slide out in 1992.
Old 09-01-2022, 07:52 PM   #3
Site Team

I fall in to the no-slide group. One less thing to fail or leak.

With that said, they sure do open up the inside of the trailer.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 04:27 AM   #4

Having owned a 16 footer tow behind as our first camper, I am now a huge fan of our current class C with two sliders (living space and bedroom). Having the added space is a game changer for me.

Do some homework though. There are some Jayco models that have issues with their sliders. I'd steer clear of them.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 04:47 AM   #5
Lost in the Woods

They're great until they're not, like the power leveling system, you push the button and pray. Some types are better thsn others and I gather many complaints have to do with the larger slides. Would I give mine up? No way!
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 05:18 AM   #6

What I miss the most about my tent camping days were the years of no gear failure on a trip. I'm in the no slide camp. I take a six to eight week summer trip. If a slide, or anything that would cause my trailer to be unusable, failed early and ruined that trip, I would be devastated.
Old 09-02-2022, 05:51 AM   #7

Slide out negatives-
They may limit the campsite choices due to the added width.
They are mechanical, therefore they can break or malfunction, and may require extra maintenance for seals, lubrication. And if they fail extended you aren't going anywhere until they are retracted.
They are added weight.
They can be another point of water entry.

We have 3 slides or our 5er. We spend at least 4 months in it a year, the added space is worth the downsides IMHO. If you're a weekend warrior or short term camper they may be less desirable.
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 07:02 AM   #8

I you're a real camper, and spend most of your time grilling around the campfire, hiking, fishing and ziplining, the added interior space is probably not worth the problems and weight that come with the slides.
But for us- travelers, not campers, the slides transform our trailer into a small apartment, and are worth it when we cook inside, plan our next trip online, or watch tv.
Old 09-02-2022, 07:04 AM   #9

I am in the pro slide camp. We still camp with our adult children and our grandchildren or any combination of them! The extra room provided by slides is essential to our all being able to camp together AND be comfortable. I agree there is the potential for failure and some extra maintenance involved but to us its well worth it.

The biggest downfall for us in our current trailer is not having access to any part of the interior without opening a slide. To me that is a huge negative but does not outweigh the positives.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 08:03 AM   #10

I would not be without a slide as my trailer is my home away from home. My dog has plenty of room & if the 2-3 grandkids join us there’s space for everyone. You put a few rain days together and you’ll be glad you have one. My slide is a Lippert ( in the lower frame) and if I have a failure I can crank it in and I carry a spare motor just in case. Maintenance is minimal.
It’s now 12 years old with over 3+years worth of in’s & out’s on the road and it’s still as smooth as day one.
Attached Thumbnails
357271CA-65F4-4D64-9181-0FFB20076482.jpg  
Old 09-02-2022, 08:04 AM   #11

I think it depends on your usage; how long you will be in it and how many people are on board.

We bought at 212QBW which does not have slides for several reasons:
1. It's only the two of us.
2. It was intended to get out of Phoenix and up to the cooler wooded parts of Arizona for a couple of boondocking weekends in the summer. We both work 4/10 schedules with Sat, Sun, Mon off together every week so we head out at least once a month.
3. The added weight would require a new truck for us; an added major expense to go from a 1/2 ton to a 1 ton.
4. We're still working full time, so we're not living in it. Our weekender trips are not any more than two nights; and one five day trip a year in it.
5. We didn't want to deal with any failure problems.

If we were living in it for longer, regular periods of time, then I can see the benefits to having the slides.

Now I did see a Class C where the slide in the rear bedroom went straight out the back; no slides on the side. I would be more inclined to buy this one as even if the slide was stuck extended straight back, you can still drive/move it if you really needed to compared to one that has slides sticking out to the sides.
66lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 09:47 AM   #12
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66lincoln View Post
I think it depends on your usage; how long you will be in it and how many people are on board.

Now I did see a Class C where the slide in the rear bedroom went straight out the back; no slides on the side. I would be more inclined to buy this one as even if the slide was stuck extended straight back, you can still drive/move it if you really needed to compared to one that has slides sticking out to the sides.
Drive very far with that extended slide hanging off the back and you'll have a class C toyhauler.
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 09:56 AM   #13

Everytime, I open and close it, I pray hard, really hard
Old 09-02-2022, 10:03 AM   #14

Yes true. My comment was more based on, if you really needed to move it and didn't have any other good options, it could be moved as opposed to one that is over width.

The model I was looking at the slide went out four feet, so if it broke at extension or retraction at the half way point, say 2 feet sticking out, you could potentially drive it to a repair facility nearby; albeit carefully. Or if it was out longer, with some basic lumber, you could build a brace that angles down to the back bumper to support it while you carefully move it or have it towed.

That would be much more difficult to do with one where the slide is sticking out to the side.

The only thing that back slide did was allow you fold down the bed though. It wouldn't give you any other interior room.
66lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 10:36 AM   #15

Having had 2 trailers without a slide and a Class A and my present trailer that have slides, I prefer getting one with slides. Before I bought my current trailer I eavesdropped on many forums learning the good and the bad.

We when we were shopping for a new trailer we had some basic requirements.

1. Being able to access all of the necessities such as refrigerator and bathroom with the slides retracted. Being able to sleep if necessary with the slide retracted.

2. No Schwintek or hydraulic mechanisms, prefer rack & pinion. Also one with the ability to easily retract the slide manually.

3. Nothing heavy on the slide, such as the refrigerator. No stove that requires a movable propane line.

The trailer we have now meets all of our requirements and has been a great improvement over our non slide trailer. No regrets.

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 10:45 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMTEX View Post
Everytime, I open and close it, I pray hard, really hard
Me too!

I have a super slide a my TT. (rack & pinion) It has not caused me any major issues thus far except that it does leak during very heavy rain. I just installed a Carefree Slide Topper on it last month. I also do the gear and seal maintenance on it twice per year.

I probably will not have a slide on my next TT. My two brothers each bought new rigs this year, one bought a Jayco Jayflight (Schwintek) the other bought a Keystone product (cable system). Both have had issues with their slides. I have seen their heartache and frustration with their new TTs. It is something I do not want to have to experience.
1996 Viking Pop-up
1979 Coleman 8 man cabin tent
1967 G.I Joe (hasbro) canvas pup tent
THE MEEKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 12:23 PM   #17

Depends on how you camp and who camps with you. For us, with three humans and a 110lb dog, a little width is handy in our case. If I ever went non slide in a travel trailer it would be an airstream since they’re just a little wider than most. A rack and pinion through frame slide out will not cause issues 99.9% of the time. This is what most TT’s have of only one slide.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 04:13 PM   #18
Site Team

There are some personal reasons for both sides of the question that can come into play towards a decision. Just the two of us, and (now) a pair of matching pups, but we spend most of our time outside. We keep the TT beside the house so we have a smaller unit, and the floorplan we wanted didn't offer a slide. At the time, it was the smallest JayFlight Jayco produced at 23' tip to tip. Now the smallest has a slide, and is much longer than we can fit, so we're happy. We did have a 1996 Fleetwood Wilderness 33P for 10 years (stationary) that had a large slide, and it was great for that set of circumstances. Our times have changed our wants and needs.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 05:09 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 Traveler View Post
We when we were shopping for a new trailer we had some basic requirements.
1. Being able to access all of the necessities such as refrigerator and bathroom with the slides retracted. Being able to sleep if necessary with the slide retracted.
X2,

A very good point I forgot to mention! Not much of an issue if you buy it and park it, but if travel is in your plans, accessibility is a must have. Surprising to see so many RV's that block off accessing important things with retracted slides!
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 05:28 PM   #20

I'm pro slide. With 2 dogs now it gives us humans more floor space. We're on our 6th pull behind and they all had slides. The popup had a manual one for the dinette table. 4 TT's had one in the living area. Our 5th wheel had 4 slides, bedroom, kitchen, and 2 in the living area. Just like just about anything else in a camper they do require maintainance lube running gear and seal protection. Can/do they have drawbacks? Yes, but the added space is worth it IMHO.
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote