Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-08-2013, 09:45 AM   #1

Slide Topper Question

Anyone out there with a slide topper, but are not happy with it?
Trying to decide if I want to have one installed, and have heard things like leaves still get underneath.
We are not seasonal, and move around quite a bit on camping trips.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:10 AM   #2

We have toppers on all three of our slides. I would not do without them. I have had toppers on my slides for the last 10 or 12 years and have never ever had leaves underneath them. The only negative that I have about them is that they collect water when it rains. After a rain, you can either move the slide in somewhat until the water runs off or I take something and pull one end of the slide cover down and let the water run off. When pulling one end of the slide cover down, you need to be careful so that you don't get a cold shower!

djalbrec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:32 AM   #3

All three slides have toppers and this is my second camper with toppers on slides. I can't imagine not having them. It's cooler in summer and keeps the slide tops much cleaner. Debries gets on the toppers but not on the slide tops. If there is a negative I sure can't find it.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:06 AM   #4

I'm interested in this thread as I've been comparison shopping for a slide topper as well. So what do you have eldermike and djalbrec? I see Dometic makes one but I also hear good things about Carefree of Colorado. . .

2003 Ford F-250 XLT Lariat
6.0L Powerstroke V8
2013 Jayco JayFlight 24FBS
Equal-i-zer hitch
Tekonsha P3
BlueHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 05:45 PM   #5

Slide Topper Question

I have a 05 Jayco Designer that I have had for about nine years . I put carefree slide covers on about the second or third year I had it . Some people complain about collapsing in heavy rain . I never had a problem at all. In very strong winds it will flap around some but it's got to be pretty windy. Two years ago on a trip out west in New Mexico it was so windy I had to pull the slide in to sleep. We picked up a Pinnacle 36 REQS this summer didn't have slide covers so I picked up some Dometic for the slides ( four to be exact ) I hope they are as good and trouble free as our Designer. The wife and I installed them in a day a full day . It was really easy but you have to have scaffolding at least 35 ft to hold and walk it in the track. Used the track that was already on the rig. Heading west after Thanksgiving will let you know how they are in comparison to the carefree.
Clayton4971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:21 PM   #6

I'm still not sure if I want them or not. ... would like to see some posts from owners who have experience without slide toppers.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:06 PM   #7

I have never had them on any of my units. But I do check them before sliding them in. Never had any trouble here. I camp at many different places. Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:31 PM   #8

My first camper didn't have them, also didn't have a roof ladder so I had to lug an 8 ft ladder with me to clean the slide top before sliding in. My second camper had a slide topper and roof ladder. My Eagle has both as well and I wouldn't be without the toppers or the roof ladder.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:46 PM   #9

I have slide toppers on all 3 of my slides. I use an electric leaf blower to blow the pine needles etc. form between the slide & slide topper before I bring in the slides.
To keep the water from pooling on the slide topper I use the Airwedge it fits between the slide & slide topper. Works fine for me.
http://www.awningairwedge.com/
Reese straight line dual cam
17k wd hitch
2005 GMC diesel
Crew cab long bed
:Flag:
bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:32 AM   #10

Our first year with a slide and no topper revealed two problem situations;
- having to retract the slide during a rainy morning when on the go (water inside)
- having to climb and sweep off the debris, raining or not

From the comments so far, it seems a topper will reduce these issues, but maybe not fully? The idea of an air pillow under the topper is interesting, and sounds like it would suppress the wind flapping concern as well as the pooling of water.

Maybe there are some more comments yet? All are appreciated.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:01 AM   #11

I have been thinking of getting a slide topper as well for my slide, I have never gotten up and brushed anything off when sliding in the slide but did end up with some debris in the camper one time when we slid it in.
slabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 11:41 AM   #12

I noticed that we get water and debris inside when bringing in the slides. Thought it was a problem with the little rubber deals on top of the slide, but apparently not so based on what I read here. I haven't gotten any slide toppers yet, but will give it some thought next spring when getting ready to go camping. I noticed that Camping World seemed to have a special on installation this past week or so. Has anybody taken advantage of that?
2013 Polaris Sportsman 550 EXP
2008 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 05:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by David472 View Post
Our first year with a slide and no topper revealed two problem situations;
- having to retract the slide during a rainy morning when on the go (water inside)
- having to climb and sweep off the debris, raining or not

From the comments so far, it seems a topper will reduce these issues, but maybe not fully? The idea of an air pillow under the topper is interesting, and sounds like it would suppress the wind flapping concern as well as the pooling of water.
Maybe there are some more comments yet? All are appreciated.
The Airwedge also keeps the toppers from flapping in the wind. Good investment
Reese straight line dual cam
17k wd hitch
2005 GMC diesel
Crew cab long bed
:Flag:
bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:26 AM   #14

I don't know what brand of my slide toppers are. They were on my Jayco Eagle Premier when I bought it.

djalbrec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:37 PM   #15

We have Carefree of Colorado on all three of our slides, and like them so much that no future camper will be without them. Last weekend, at the CG, I watched from the inside relaxing with a cup of coffee as our neighbor got out his ladder and laboriously cleaned off his slides with a broom. "Nuff said.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:17 PM   #16

The Dometics we have on our Pinnacle flop in the wind and hold water because they sag. I think if the factory would have mounted them higher on the side wall would have helped. Our previous camper's were better but don't know what brand.
good
luck
pointrow
pointrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:15 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointrow View Post
The Dometics we have on our Pinnacle flop in the wind and hold water because they sag. I think if the factory would have mounted them higher on the side wall would have helped. Our previous camper's were better but don't know what brand.
good
luck
pointrow
I have heard that the spring tension inside the topper roll can be increased to reduce the amount of sag. Maybe worth looking into?
Old 11-10-2013, 08:42 PM   #18

Slide Topper Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by David472 View Post
I have heard that the spring tension inside the topper roll can be increased to reduce the amount of sag. Maybe worth looking into?
The wife and I just put slide covers on our Pinnacle ourself 4 slides. We used the existing track that Jayco already had installed. The install instructions said to unroll one complete turn to make it easier to slide in the track. Didn't look like I needed it so I didn't figured wouldn't hurt to be a little tighter. Also put the brackets on per dometic instructions . Haven't had a chance to try it out will do this winter they look pretty tight and a decent angle.
Clayton4971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:24 AM   #19

I have a single slide on my 28bhs and don't really see the need for a topper. I do have a roof ladder so when it's time to leave I just simply go up... sweep and wipe it off.

Marty
grayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:03 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayco View Post
I have a single slide on my 28bhs and don't really see the need for a topper. I do have a roof ladder so when it's time to leave I just simply go up... sweep and wipe it off.

Marty
This has been what we did for our first summer season with the slide. What has me re-thinking this approach is that on three occasions, rain during the time we had to pack up and go, has me wishing for a slide topper to make things easier. Looking at other TT's during our travels so far, it seems to be maybe a 50-50 split for if they have a topper or not.