Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-10-2015, 07:57 AM   #1

Slideout - Cover or not?

Plan to pick up my new Jay Feather 23RLSW in the new year. It will be my first experience with a slideout. Is it a good idea to add a slide out awning/cover, or is it a waste of money? My thinking is that it might be a good idea to add a cover, in order to help protect and extend the life of the seals, etc. Thoughts, guidance, suggestions, experience anyone?

Thanks,

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 08:20 AM   #2

We did not have them on our other unit but got them on our new one. I'm glad we got them because other than debris, they also help keep some of the heat off the slide roof. The only negative I've found is that the larger ones (we have 2 slides around 14') will hold some water during a heavy rain. The shorter ones like over our bedroom slide stays tight enough to shed all the water. I just go up and sweep off the puddle and once dried the fabric shrinks back. Alot of people will put a ball under the fabric in the middle to create a tent effect and help shed the water, if you do this I would recommend putting some kind of reminder by the slide switch so you don't forget it's there when you get ready to bring the slide in.
Hope the info helps, I would get them again for sure.
Slotted and Dimpled Brake Rotors
Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Ultimate Airbags with WirelessAIR Controller
TexasRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 08:43 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRT View Post
I'm glad we got them because other than debris, they also help keep some of the heat off the slide roof. The only negative I've found is that the larger ones (we have 2 slides around 14') will hold some water during a heavy rain. The shorter ones like over our bedroom slide stays tight enough to shed all the water. I just go up and sweep off the puddle and once dried the fabric shrinks back. Alot of people will put a ball under the fabric in the middle to create a tent effect and help shed the water, if you do this I would recommend putting some kind of reminder by the slide switch so you don't forget it's there when you get ready to bring the slide in.
I would get them again for sure.
X2

Had them on our last unit and won't be without them.
Old 12-10-2015, 08:46 AM   #4

We had a Keystone Sprinter with two slideouts. One leaked in an outer corner after it was 7 years old whether in or out, didn't get a fix on it before selling (but did tell buyer about issue), didn't put an lawning or other similar fixes. Also the seal on other slideout would often fold in so had one person bring it in while another watched it so could fix as went in.
was enough for slideouts for me...

Larry J
2015 264BHW
LarryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 09:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppers4 View Post
X2

Had them on our last unit and won't be without them.
What he said..
Old 12-11-2015, 11:53 AM   #6

I didn't have them on our old TT Slide, but found debris up there all the time. When we ordered our new 29.5 BHDS, we added them onto the order for the dealer to install.
They charge for Part & Labor at the time I ordered the new 5th, was well worth it.

Dave...

2013 Ram 2500, CTD, CCLB 4x4 in True Blue - SOLD

2016 Eagle HT 29.5 BHDS Picked-up 4/1/16
2007 Rockwood ROO 21SS - SOLD
Aero_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 07:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkresge View Post
Is it a good idea to add a slide out awning/cover, or is it a waste of money? My thinking is that it might be a good idea to add a cover, in order to help protect and extend the life of the seals, etc.
IMO, a slide cover is a no brainer for all the reasons stated above. The only negative thing I've heard about them is that they flap in a high wind. I have 2 slide covers and have never experienced the flapping noise no matter what the conditions. Get it, you won't regret it.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 07:21 AM   #8

As noted, they do help shed rain, keep the slide room cooler and prevent debris from being pulled into the top gasket. We usually camp in state parks with lots of trees. On Sunday I see a lot of neighbors breaking out ladders or climbing the access ladder to sweep off their slides before pulling it in. I've never regretted having one.

After getting our dealer's purchase price down as far as possible, we told the salesman that, if they would add a slide topper as part of the deal, we'd buy it. The sales manager quickly agreed to do so.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 08:22 AM   #9

We got them for the first time on this unit... saves a lot of going up and down a ladder to get the debris of the slide. All we have to do now is to give the underside of the slide topper a quick poke with a broom to toss off any small stuff.

The dealer made us a great deal at the time of purchase, and we love them!
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote