Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-17-2016, 11:47 AM   #1

Thumbs down Slideout Gearbox stripped

If this forum had a "Status" for each user, I'd have to change mine from extremely happy - to very dissapointed.

Picked up the Eagle HT 26.5 RLS a month ago. Only been out one weekend so far. Took the unit to dealer last week for minor adjustment to slide - it was pulling the trim out of a slide-side window. Then took the unit back to the storage yard.

Brought the unit home yesterday to start loading for a trip and the main slide won't go out. The motor just spins. Hauled it out to the dealer this morning.

The gearbox on the Lippert slide is stripped. The mechanic showed it to me - it has plastic gears, no clutch, no shear pin, nothing to protect the gearbox. And several teeth are missing from one of the gears. At this point we don't know what happened (and I'm not trying to point fingers).
1) Could have been a defective part - weak molding and the gear just failed.
2) Dealer may have mis-adjusted slide. I know it worked when I left the dealership the previous week - I tested it.
3) I may have hit "in" instead of "out" on the remote for a second - but I know I couldn't have done it for long.

But even if it's 2 or 3 I can't imagine how a company could engineer a part that fails this easily under normal use. Apparently, the motor is just supposed to lock down when the unit is far enough in or out.

I will say the dealer has responded magnificently - and is moving heaven and earth to get a gearbox by tomorrow.

The parts manager did try to argue that this wasn't a Jayco quality problem since they didn't make the part. I pointed out that they don't make steel or plywood or fiberglass either - but they do choose the components they install so they are still ultimately responsible for quality.

Anybody else had problems with Lippert gearboxes?
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 11:57 AM   #2

Yikes! I hope they aren't supposed to be that easy to strip. We just bought an X213 this past weekend, and it pops a couple times at each end of the travel when you're powering it in or out. I just assumed it was a clutch of some kind (thinking something like the torque limiter on my cordless drill, if you know what I'm talking about) and not the gears actually slipping.
Rootus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 12:21 PM   #3

There is a slip clutch of some kind built in. When the slide hits home either out or in you will get a couple clunks to let you know it's at the end of travel, or at least you should its not gears slipping.
Old 05-17-2016, 01:03 PM   #4

Maybe the clutch is faulty. Both of our big slide mechanisms have a clutch and will make a "ratcheting" noise when full extend/retract is reached.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 01:31 PM   #5

You're actually supposed to hold the button for 3-5 seconds at the END of each travel (in or out); this keeps the motors in sync. So holding onto the button too long isn't a bad thing, its actually recommended.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 01:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
You're actually supposed to hold the button for 3-5 seconds at the END of each travel (in or out); this keeps the motors in sync. So holding onto the button too long isn't a bad thing, its actually recommended.
Thanks Jopopsy, Good to know. Geesh, one would think they could design a relatively reliable slide by now. On a positive note, we must be grateful for the 2 year warranty because many of the others will be crying the out of pocket blues a lot earlier than us, eh?
(2) Yamaha EF2000is Inverter Generators
House of Harview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 01:59 PM   #7

Quote:
That's only on the Swintek in wall slides, not the underbelly floor slides.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 03:06 PM   #8

And mine that stripped is an underbelly floor slide. We took the cover off the bad gearbox and I don't see any kind of clutch. I'm not a mechanical engineer but I have been an auto mechanic and tinkerer for 40 years - I don't see anything that would give other than the gears. Still trying to search the web for some service info on this slide.
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Old 05-17-2016, 03:24 PM   #9

In reading the Jayco owners manual - it covers 4 types of slides. For three of them (in wall, in frame and above frame) it clearly says:
Quote:
Retracting slideout room
Press the IN section of the slideout control switch and hold it until the motor stops.
Operating the switch after the room is fully retracted will damage the switch and motor.
The last type of slide is an expensive version (I assume used in high end units) that has a controller board and senses the slide position. That ain't the one I got :-(.
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Old 05-17-2016, 03:27 PM   #10
Site Team

I have had problems with my underbelly slide also. I'm not sure if it's the same motor/gearbox but mine was stripping the shear bolt that connects the gearbox to the bars that drive mechanism.

Here is that thread. http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...m-21572-2.html

I just had another bolt shear yesterday after 2 years and I had the parts to fix it in about 1 hour right here where we are set up. Checking the other bolt and it was loose again. I think that is what caused them to shear off.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 04:23 PM   #11

Norty, Would it help securing those bolts by using some blue loc-tite? It may also be a good idea to either have a shop manual or contacting the actual manufacturer of the slide components and asking what the torque values are for those bolts.
(2) Yamaha EF2000is Inverter Generators
House of Harview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 02:40 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by House of Harview View Post
Norty, Would it help securing those bolts by using some blue loc-tite? It may also be a good idea to either have a shop manual or contacting the actual manufacturer of the slide components and asking what the torque values are for those bolts.
I was thinking the same thing when I saw a torque value on the non-nylon bolts. It was 120 fp. I am planning on checking that out. I bought a few more spares at a local hardware yesterday, along with washers and std. lock washers.

I read another opinion that lock washers should not be reused when replacing grade 8 bolts. The ones originally on there had nylon locknuts and I reused them.

One time I thought that Jayco just did not tighten them up but after going thru this 2 years ago, I know they were tight and loosened up on their own.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 03:38 PM   #13

Quote:

X2.
I was told that by Jayco when I called them asking about a wiring schematic (which they e-mailed to me within a few minutes)

I also asked if it is ok to put the slide out a little when loading and bring it back in. They said as long as you don't put it out more than 8 - 10 inches, you can bring it back in. Otherwise, either put it all the way out or all the way in. They also said to let it ratchet for like 2 seconds when opening or closing.

So far every time I called Jayco, they were very helpful.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote