Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-25-2019, 04:23 PM   #1

Sliding bathroom door question

We have a hummingbird 16 mrb. The bathroom door is a slider and the stock strap is not ideal. Have already replaced it once after a 30 minute trip to a camp site. That one is dead after our AZ trip.

Wondering if anyone has found another option to keep the door from moving.

Thanks.
Old 06-25-2019, 09:36 PM   #2

I cut a pool noodle long ways and put it over the bottom rail on 317 rlok
Kennessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 05:52 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennessa View Post
I cut a pool noodle long ways and put it over the bottom rail on 317 rlok
No rail on mine, just a free floating door. But I will look at using a noodle if I can keep it in place. Thanks.
Old 06-26-2019, 06:56 AM   #4

Oh I was thinking shower door but a noodle may still work for entry door.
Kennessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 08:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddude1970 View Post
We have a hummingbird 16 mrb. The bathroom door is a slider and the stock strap is not ideal. Have already replaced it once after a 30 minute trip to a camp site. That one is dead after our AZ trip.

Wondering if anyone has found another option to keep the door from moving.

Thanks.
We have a bathroom slider, but a different trailer. We've had the same strap for the slider for years and thousands of miles. It is still in fine shape.

It might help to provide more specific information on what the problem is with the strap in your unit...
- 'replaced after a 30 minute trip' Was that trip over paved roads or ?? and what happened/failed with the strap?
- 'that one is dead' Could you describe 'dead' means?

Maybe others on the site have had problems with their straps, but would need different description of your problem to compare with their problem.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 09:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
We have a bathroom slider, but a different trailer. We've had the same strap for the slider for years and thousands of miles. It is still in fine shape.

It might help to provide more specific information on what the problem is with the strap in your unit...
- 'replaced after a 30 minute trip' Was that trip over paved roads or ?? and what happened/failed with the strap?
- 'that one is dead' Could you describe 'dead' means?

Maybe others on the site have had problems with their straps, but would need different description of your problem to compare with their problem.
Ok...the first time after a 30 minute trip over paved roads (illinois roads so they suck) the screw in the door frame pulled right through the strap. I put it in a different location on the strap and it pulled through again on the return trip.

Dealer provided me a replacement strap. I put a washer on the screw and doubled the strap over before mounting it. That portion worked fine.

But on our trip to AZ the snap that goes on the door itself pulled through the strap, thus its "dead". Can't put it back on the strap.

So what I am trying to figure out is an alternative to using the strap to hold the door open during travel.

Hope this makes sense. Thanks.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:19 AM   #7

YES. It all makes sense to me! Thanks for clarifying.

From the factory/dealer, the strap for my door was not tight when holding the door open. That would have allowed the inertia from the moving door to hit the strap hard as the trailer rocked from side-to-side.

I re-postionied the screw going through the strap to eliminate the 'slack' so the door was held open snugly and would not roll freely back and then slam into the strap.

Another alternative to try might be a piece of pool noodle between the door and the strap to stop the door from freely rolling back and forth.

Although still using a strap, hopefully one of those could help.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 12:01 AM   #8

We had a similar problem with our sliding door. Our door had the rollers on top with adjustable bolts and a plastic knife edge attached to the floor fitting in a groove cut in the bottom of the door. The solution was to remove pelmet and install a strip of timber parallel to the track just above the rollers (to prevent them from jumping out of the track). We use a strap to hold the door in place while traveling.
jeffrey_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 05:37 AM   #9

From retaining refrigerator items, holding cupboard items, holding the microwave plate in place, protecting your head on the outside slider corners, keeping the flag pole away from hitting the front of the RV. We use pool noodles for lots of things.

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 06:06 AM   #10

On my old Sunline they had used a strip of exterior door trim vinyl insert as the sliding door strap. It lasted 20 years. Maybe a strap make of something similar would work?

(This stuff: https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Vinyl-I.../dp/B0006JLW4S )
Old 06-30-2019, 04:35 AM   #11

Our Greyhawk has a sliding door but came from facory with a bungie type of strap which loops over a plastic hook. 3 years and 20K miles and no issues.

You might try something like that or search images on the internet for a better solution. The bungie strap holds the door firmly open while allow a tad bit of bounce.
jd99336 is offline   Reply With Quote