Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-30-2021, 07:49 PM   #1

Slight leak from water inlet of new toilet

We used to have a Thetford Aqua Magic 4. I replaced it over the weekend with a tall Aqua Magic 5 to accommodate my wife's physical limitations. Also, it was leaking from the water inlet. So, time to go. OK, so I installed a shark bite shutoff valve and a 12 inch long toilet water supply hose to deal with the increased height. Shutoff valve: doing its job. Handles the pressure and doesn't leak. The water line? Sadly, not so much. I'm getting some drippage out of it. Not a stream, a drip. I applied Teflon tape liberally to the toilet inlet, connected the water line to it, tightened it gently and slowly as much as I dared with a wrench -- making bloody sure not to crossthread the thing -- THEN I installed the toilet. Annnddd... drippage!

Now, I admit that plumbing reduces me to a petulant child, but it seems like I've jumped through all the usual plumbing hoops. I could use some suggestions here. Should I tighten the taped connector a smidge more and try again - praying for a dry floor this time? Should I use plumber's putty in conjunction with the tape? Is there another tactic altogether I should be using?
axeslinger1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 09:49 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

It 'might' be the replaceable cone seal in the PEX connector. Mine didn't leak but when I installed a shutoff valve I noticed that it was damaged when the factory installed the toilet.

I carry spares because they don't fair well when re-used.

Reference thread: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...als-86076.html

Also, another issue I had to address at the connection was the PEX water inlet line was a little short and was pulling downward at the connection.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 05:04 AM   #3

I see I led you astray...

Bob,

Thanks for getting back to me. I did a FANTASTIC job of describing the situation (not)! Let me try again. The old toilet had a direct-to-PEX connection on the water inlet. Jayco installed it that way back in '99. I used a flexible connection hose (water line? Sorry, I'm not a plumber) to deal with the new toilet's increased height. First I connected the hose to the toilet, then I dry-fit (fitted?) the toilet on the bolts and determined where the hose would make contact with the PEX tubing. Then, I added about 1.5 inch as a "fudge factor", cut the PEX, and installed a sharkbite shutoff valve. This is working just peachy-keen-fine. The problem is where the "hose" connects to the toilet's water inlet.
Old 08-31-2021, 03:21 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Any chance of posting a photo of area in question?

Bob

Just in case...., how to add photos to a post....., refer to Post #8 here:

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...s-17962-2.html

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 05:15 PM   #5

Teflon tape is a pss poor sealant. Pipe dope works.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 05:26 PM   #6

Your recommendation has been independently confirmed. I'm going to do this.
THANKS!
Old 08-31-2021, 05:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Any chance of posting a photo of area in question?

Bob

Just in case...., how to add photos to a post....., refer to Post #8 here:

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...s-17962-2.html
R.E.,

I've been given a promising solution by an independent source who is trustworthy. If (God forbid!) it doesn't work, I'll add pictures and be back. I was a software developer in my previous life. If I can't figure out how, I'll...
...call my kid...
Old 08-31-2021, 06:07 PM   #8

Most people assume that all teflon tape is the same and is a replacement for pipe dope, thread sealant, or just in general...plumbers tape. In some cases, that's true, but like everything else in life....there are rules. Notice that there aren't directions on the tape?

Teflon tape comes in colors...that means they are used, based on the color, for different applications. White, the most universally found, is excellent on screw and bolt threads. The only use on water lines....those that are 3/8" or smaller (with luck!). White is cheapest, for a reason, it's the least dense 'formula'. It's the thinnest tape. That's why it leaks.

The pink teflon tape is designed for water line applications. It even feels different in the fingers. It's very dense, almost leathery. Yellow tape, thicker yet, is used exclusively with both lines that carry liquid petroleum products and gaseous products..by design it is chemical resistant to deterioration,..however, many building codes will not approve its use with natural gas. Gas line pipe dope only...which is different than water line pipe dope is normally used. If you find the blue or sometimes it's green tape...that's for oxygen lines. All tapes when used correctly require a min. of three wraps on the male threads in the appropriate direction up to as many as 15 wraps.

In use, these colors are not interchangeable. There's one more gotcha.....water line pipe dope is not intended for water lines that feed water that will be ingested. For that, pink tape only. But it's perfect for toilets, lavs, tubs, showers, etc!

In any event, hope you end up with a dry connection. Perhaps you won't have to call your son.

Old 08-31-2021, 07:28 PM   #9

Daughter, actually... yeesh!
Old 08-31-2021, 07:36 PM   #10

Oh Zing! Is she also a teenager that can wrench circles around you? That's real pain.

Old 09-07-2021, 05:09 PM   #11

Fortunately, no. I can't wrench for crap, but neither can she.

In other news, we just got back from 5 days at the RV. I'm going to solve my leak by cutting out all my previous work and replumbing the toilet with PEX. I feel like I'm selling out but I've spent all the time on this project I'm going to. Besides, I still have to apply one more coat of rubber roof compound, caulk the windows, and, and... maybe have some fun before they shut the bloody campground.