Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-11-2022, 02:31 PM   #1

SlimRack slide system

I stumbled on a YouTube video with Josh the RV nerd. It was about what he called the three most common slide systems and their operation. It was very informative, but of course, left me with questions. He mentioned the schwintek slides, cable slides and I think it is called the rack and pinion type? We have that one on the passenger side, with the dining table and 2 couches. He said that particular system, rack and pinion, can be opened or closed partially, if need, with no ill effects to the slide operation. I had never heard that before. And he left out one of our slides, the SlimRack, which houses the stove/fridge on our Pinnacle. I seem to see more of them lately, especially on newer campers. I am curious as to which camp it follows under, cable, Schwintek or its own classification, and if it follows the same extend/retract logic as the Schwintek.
Old 09-11-2022, 04:36 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag View Post
. He said that particular system, rack and pinion, can be opened or closed partially, if need, with no ill effects to the slide operation. I had never heard that before. And he left out one of our slides, the SlimRack, which houses the stove/fridge on our Pinnacle. I seem to see more of them lately, especially on newer campers. I am curious as to which camp it follows under, cable, Schwintek or its own classification, and if it follows the same extend/retract logic as the Schwintek.

The Rack and pinion through frame type uses a single motor underneath that drives both pinions mounted on a single shaft, so no sync problems.
My Slim Rack kitchen slide starts and stops on it's own when trying to extend or retract which I think is the app's fault as my phone and BMPRO tablet touch screens both do it. Seems to work better if I lick my finger first, I'm not kidding! Never gets out of sync....yet!
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 06:05 PM   #3

As I view it the Slimrack slide system is a variation of the Schwintek system on mild steriods. It's design does make it better suited for the heavier slides over the Schwintek. Others may not agree. My preference on the big slide would be a hydraulic driven rack and pinion system. However, that apparently is not in the mix for Jayco. In the situation we are in I think the Slimrack is better than the Schwintek. That's just my opinion.
Demco 18K Autoslide Hitch and Timbrens
2019 Ford F350 SB 6.7L Diesel (Gone)
Radar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 03:05 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARoamer View Post
The Rack and pinion through frame type uses a single motor underneath that drives both pinions mounted on a single shaft, so no sync problems.
My Slim Rack kitchen slide starts and stops on it's own when trying to extend or retract which I think is the app's fault as my phone and BMPRO tablet touch screens both do it. Seems to work better if I lick my finger first, I'm not kidding! Never gets out of sync....yet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar57 View Post
As I view it the Slimrack slide system is a variation of the Schwintek system on mild steriods. It's design does make it better suited for the heavier slides over the Schwintek. Others may not agree. My preference on the big slide would be a hydraulic driven rack and pinion system. However, that apparently is not in the mix for Jayco. In the situation we are in I think the Slimrack is better than the Schwintek. That's just my opinion.
Interesting what you learn. I agree, the Slimrack seems similar to the Schwintek. I will presume, as Radar57 said, it is on asteroids.
Old 09-12-2022, 05:52 AM   #5

My Slim Rack was starting to stop every 6 inches or so. Changed the 20 amp auto reset breaker to a 30 amp and have had no problems since. The 20 amp for that big of a slide (kitchen) was not big enough.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 06:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
My Slim Rack was starting to stop every 6 inches or so. Changed the 20 amp auto reset breaker to a 30 amp and have had no problems since. The 20 amp for that big of a slide (kitchen) was not big enough.
Don't know if it was you, but in another thread, this was mentioned and a link to a company where to order the 30Amp auto reset? I ordered a couple for me and a friend with a similar camper. As it turns out, ours came with the 30A breaker. I guess Jayco saw the light.
Old 09-12-2022, 07:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARoamer View Post
Same issue keeping my finger on the phone button so I rarely use it. We use the analog buttons at the bottom of the BMPro screen with better luck. I do use my phone quite a bit for the Equalizer jacks but have the same problem keeping my finger on the button. I hope it is isn't an issue for the jacks.

So far our slides have operated well. It is good to know about the dining slide being able to be partially opened. When we first got our Pinnacle the kitchen slide would not completely close on one corner and it would pop and crack like crazy when opening or closing. My dealer determined the Slimrack system had been installed wrong and completely rebuilt it. It is really smooth and mostly quiet now.

Is the bedroom also a Slimrack?
F350guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 03:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag View Post
Don't know if it was you, but in another thread, this was mentioned and a link to a company where to order the 30Amp auto reset? I ordered a couple for me and a friend with a similar camper. As it turns out, ours came with the 30A breaker. I guess Jayco saw the light.
Yes, I did do a post regarding the weakness of the 20 amp breaker. And yes Jayco saw the light
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote