Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

View Poll Results: Smooth or Aluminum siding poll. Multiple choice.
I have a smooth sided RV 175 39.33%
I have an aluminum sided RV 146 32.81%
I have had both and prefer smooth 82 18.43%
I have had both and prefer aluminum 54 12.13%
I have a smooth sided RV and have experienced delamination 48 10.79%
I have an aluminum sided RV and dents and dings have been a problem 14 3.15%
I have a smooth sided RV and have experienced fading 25 5.62%
I have an aluminum sided RV and have experienced fading 2 0.45%
I will never buy another smooth sided RV 18 4.04%
I will never buy another another aluminum sided RV 11 2.47%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 445. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-02-2014, 01:16 PM   #41
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adk Camper View Post
Copied this from another thread that had a poll. Aluminum or Smooth Side?

View Poll Results: Which line of Jayco Travel Trailer do you own?
Eagle 146 10.38%
Eagle Super Lite 77 5.48%
Skylark 17 1.21%
Jayflight AND Jayflight G2 499 35.49%
All Jayflight Swift AND SLX models 190 13.51%
Jayfeather travel trailer 154 10.95%
Jayfeather hybrid travel trailer (including Jayfeather SLX) 117 8.32%
Whitehawk 160 11.38%
All Starcraft models! 24 1.71%
Toy Hauler TT 22 1.56%

OK I will break it down a bit. The only lines in that poll with aluminum siding would be the Jayflights, Jayflight Swift, Jayflight SLX, some of the older Eagles (likely not many in this poll), and an unknown quantity of the Starcraft.

As mentioned the Jayflights are now available with smooth sides, but that just came out in 2014 model year IIRC.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 02:48 AM   #42

I have had both.. I had zero problems with the aluminum siding on my previous toy hauler of 8 years... I looked at both at the same dealer with the same floor plan I went with the Fiberglass as I wanted all the bells and whistles which didn't come on the aluminum sided jayflight.. I also really thought the Eagle was a much better looking trailer on the outside.. I would advise to not to worry about small things and get what you really want.. Life is short have a good time...

Dash, Marie & Tazzie ( short for the devil from Tazmania) English bull terrier.
2014 Eagle 316RKDS
2008 Dodge 2500 Cummins 4x4
When I pass on I want it to be like my grandpa in my sleep... Not like the screaming folks in the car with him..
The Dster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:40 PM   #43

I was leaning toward fiberglass on our next unit, until I worked in a campground for a few years. Seems about 20 - 25% of the smooth side rigs have delamination problems. After talking with my service tech he said, especially here in Az pretty much most smooth sides will develope some delamination problems over the life of the unit. That being said I bought aluminum, easier to fix, and it costs less.
wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:55 PM   #44

Guess I'm cheap. The smooth sides were ~$1,600 option. Not worth it to me. Went with aluminum.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 08:22 PM   #45

I have a 2008 Jayco 17c Ex-port hybrid. It is a smooth sided single axle trailer with what may be a huge problem, a floor that is soft and very difficult to fix. A trusted Jayco sales man who is now selling cars commented that aluminum and stick built campers were could be repaired in ways laminate (fiberglass) campers cannot and recommends I junk mine and get an aluminum.
Frank Rader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 08:35 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Rader View Post
I have a 2008 Jayco 17c Ex-port hybrid. It is a smooth sided single axle trailer with what may be a huge problem, a floor that is soft and very difficult to fix. A trusted Jayco sales man who is now selling cars commented that aluminum and stick built campers were could be repaired in ways laminate (fiberglass) campers cannot and recommends I junk mine and get an aluminum.
No disrespect but I think he's still talking like a car salesman and would you be willing to sell yours at a junk price?
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 10:18 PM   #47

Thanks for comment. His suggestion is it be sold for a hunter's cabin or other static place where it does not move and the floor be covered for solid footing. I did not explain that earlier. We've use it that way when we took it to a sailing camp where all but four campers never moved, but ours and three others did.

My wife and I spoke and we feel we've gotten lots of value from our camper if it dies right now. We traveled with our daughter and sometimes her friends every year from 2010 on and if we have to shoot it and walk away, it has done everything we wanted.

If we have to sell it for $2,000 (probably 1/2 of value in good shape) or $1,000, we cannot complain, but we want to keep it because it has features we cannot, today, buy at in that size.

So, yes, we are willing to sell it for static, junk, use.
Old 03-15-2015, 11:27 PM   #48

I wonder if you can bolt on aluminum stiffeners on the underside or just go with welded steel. I would be sick if that happened to my Hybrid.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 11:47 PM   #49

Thanks. When we raise the camper, currently on wheels, to jack stand height and get under it we'll see what we can see. If we are doing an overlay, floating floor, I'm thinking of pulling out the luan & foam laminate, bolting/welding aluminum angle "iron" and putting in a floor on top. That assumes that no water tanks are in the way. . . .

Since the luan/foam is not sufficient I'd like to eliminate it where I can, but we'll have to see. I think the key is stopping leaks, if any, and carrying weight where we step. I've not interesting in carrying weigh under the sink or bath tub or fridge.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:05 AM   #50

Here is the largest supplier of "Fiberglass panels" to the RV industry. Lots of information, interesting the difference in thickness in different panels. Wonder if any panel has more d-lamination issues than others? Appears the Class A are made from thicker panels. I have no clue if this is the panels Jayco uses or not. Crane Composites FRP Panels

Old 03-16-2015, 12:23 AM   #51

Thanks for the source!
What is interesting is the moisture statement that voids warranty.
I'd think RV panels should withstand moisture because laminated anything on foam is a styrofoam cooler shaking down the road at 60 mph, plus curbs, humps and holes. An RV (trailer) manufacture facility using a product that does not handle moisture?

I've been routine on wash/wax and putting sunscreen on roof and like the look of the camper. Next camper, if any, I'll trade durability for shine.

I suspect Jayco has used different panels. It seems these thing became common about 2006 and fail about 4 years later so about not is when a bunch would fail.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:30 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Rader View Post
I think he's telling you the truth.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:58 AM   #53

Won't even consider a aluminum sided trailer around here - seen far too much hail damage. At least one dealership has a "hail sales" almost every year as one or 2 are bound to get hit and decimate their inventory.

When we were shopping after asking us what we wanted and hearing we won't consider an aluminum sized unit because of eventual hail damage, a sales man told us "Thats what insurance is for". Pretty much did a 180 and walked out. What else will he tell us to try and make a sale? Deductibles and trying to get them fixed isn't worth the hassle.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:34 PM   #54

Thanks! I'll remember that. We get small hail about once a year where I live, but can get it anywhere we camp, too. At home we have substantial tall trees and can get dents in cars from limbs falling.

A question about roofing. My camper requires roof washing and sun screen (what I call roof treatment) routinely. It is not a big job, but part of my shopping list for a "next" camper is care free (other than washing) roof. Do aluminum campers come with roofing that does not need sun screen?
Old 03-19-2015, 08:45 AM   #55

I prefer smooth sided. Delam problems with Jayco seems to have ceased or just becoming far and in between. Have never owned a "sided" camper so I really can't speak bad about them. I've heard (didn't search for proof) that stick and tin sided campers tend to be heavier and dent. It's mostly just preference I believe.
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 12:20 PM   #56

In another thread about soft spot flooring issues you'll see that if I'd trade my failing floor problems for heavy denting problems very quickly. I'd still be useful because I think metal siding means real flooring.
Old 03-19-2015, 03:41 PM   #57

I choose aluminum, I have seen many more units with De-lamination issues, then denting issues. JMHO

Old 03-19-2015, 06:04 PM   #58

I agree with wags99, and that is the reason I traded in smooth for aluminum.
NY RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 07:28 PM   #59

My last camper was smooth sided and we had problems from day one. Bought an aluminum camper next with no problems the last 4 years. I like the look of the smooth campers but I would be hesitant to buy another after fading, leaks, floor damage and eventually the siding peeled away while driving down the road.

It was a Terry camper and not a Jayco.

DieselX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 08:28 PM   #60

I dropped into an new to me dealer to look at new camper alternatives. A salesman told me sandwich construction is no long used and smooth sided campers have joist floors. I was looking at 2015 Starcraft Launch & Travel Star. Jayco own Starcraft.