Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-19-2018, 07:04 PM   #1

So I’ve been told....

Hello All,

So this is a thread that can be used to dispel rumors, work through problems, propose new ones and take individual knowledge and put it into conversational form. Parts, trailers, motorhomes, tow rigs you name it are welcome here!!!

With that, here is my “so I’ve been told”.

I have been told that if I do not go with a Jayco product for wheel and tire upgrades, future warranty possible claims might be negated.

Further, my VIN didn’t come with a 16” wheel so if I upgrade to them, that is optional on my 29.5BHDS, from 15’s Jayco might dismiss any warranty and suspension work even though it was an option to begin with.

So help me understand. I can get aftermarket wheels for cheap and good year tires for about 140 each bringing my total to $1200

Or

Get Jayco brand with a Part number and tires from a dealer for $1666 shipped

Thoughts?????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-19-2018, 07:20 PM   #2

I say call Jayco directly and get the answer directly from the horse's mouth! Personally, I think it's BS.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:45 PM   #3

There are typically some federal laws that come into play regarding warranties. If you do a modification to anything with a warranty, you cannot void the warranty. You can however do a modification that causes damage to the product and void a warranty claim that involves the modification.
For instance you install a rack on the back of your trailer and put a generator and a load of wood on the rack. This exceeds Jayco's weight limit of 100 lbs on the back of the trailer. The frame of your trailer bends due to the weight on the rack. Your frame warranty is now justifiably void.
If you put a rack on the back and only put 100 lbs on the rack and the frame bends, the warranty is not void, as the modification did not cause the frame failure. It would be on Jayco to prove the modification caused the failure.

If you were to replace the wheels and tires on your trailer with non-Jayco wheels and tires, if the axle bent because of the change, the warranty is void. If the axle bent because it was faulty, warranty would still cover it.

I often here manufactures and dealers claiming that modifications void warranties. This is simply not the case, but consumers just don't understand their rights and accept that answer.
Here again this is just my understanding of the laws.

2015 Starcraft Travel Star 299BHU Black Pearl Edition
2011 Jayco X23J (traded in)
2013 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew 6.2 Max Tow
7700 GVWR 3.73 E-locker
tslarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
I say call Jayco directly and get the answer directly from the horse's mouth! Personally, I think it's BS.
X2, I agree 100%.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 02-19-2018, 08:21 PM   #5

I hear ya and I agree 100% with what everyone has said. I’ll likely go with the Jayco product and pay the extra $499 for a wheel and tire combo that was designed for it. I see some deals out there but I am a little sketch about it. After all I’m not trying to bling up a $3000 utility trailer.

That being said Jayco today told me they wouldn’t recommend me putting the wheels on as it’s not associated with my VIN even though it was an option for the dealer / customer they never selected.

Maybe 6 one way 1/2 dozen another huh?

Old 02-19-2018, 08:42 PM   #6

I would wait until the warranty is up and then put the wheels and tires on.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 10:00 PM   #7

I would just keep the $1200 in my pocket, what is the benefit of upgrading to 16" wheels and tires.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 02:24 AM   #8

The benefit would be if the 15" standard wheels and tires are just barely adequate for the weight of the trailer. This is probably not usually the case, but sometimes, a manufacturer will cut the margin a little close.

I'm not saying Jayco does, but some manufacturers might.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
I would just keep the $1200 in my pocket, what is the benefit of upgrading to 16" wheels and tires.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:16 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee View Post
The benefit would be if the 15" standard wheels and tires are just barely adequate for the weight of the trailer. This is probably not usually the case, but sometimes, a manufacturer will cut the margin a little close.

I'm not saying Jayco does, but some manufacturers might.
They all cut it close and there are many more tire options in a 16" rim than a 15".
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tslarson View Post
There are typically some federal laws that come into play regarding warranties. If you do a modification to anything with a warranty, you cannot void the warranty. You can however do a modification that causes damage to the product and void a warranty claim that involves the modification.
For instance you install a rack on the back of your trailer and put a generator and a load of wood on the rack. This exceeds Jayco's weight limit of 100 lbs on the back of the trailer. The frame of your trailer bends due to the weight on the rack. Your frame warranty is now justifiably void.
If you put a rack on the back and only put 100 lbs on the rack and the frame bends, the warranty is not void, as the modification did not cause the frame failure. It would be on Jayco to prove the modification caused the failure.

If you were to replace the wheels and tires on your trailer with non-Jayco wheels and tires, if the axle bent because of the change, the warranty is void. If the axle bent because it was faulty, warranty would still cover it.

I often here manufactures and dealers claiming that modifications void warranties. This is simply not the case, but consumers just don't understand their rights and accept that answer.
Here again this is just my understanding of the laws.
While, technically, what you said is true, in real life, all a manufacturer has to do is falsely claim that a mod you made did cause the failure and you would have to prove the manufacturer is lying in court, which can be expensive and time consuming.
Old 02-20-2018, 02:37 PM   #11

Looking over the documentation that came with my trailer lead me to the conclusion that Jayco hardly warranteed anything. Each component, system, and appliance supplied by a manufacturer came with its own seperate warranty which states they should be contacted, not Jayco if a problem develops.
Redslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:18 PM   #12

Red

I looked this up today as well. As a result I went 180*

Ordered the Sendal and Goodyear endurance from discount tire. Should look really nice in the HT

$1270 vs $1666
Same thing and better weight rating. 3200# at 94PSI

Old 02-20-2018, 07:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redslider View Post
Looking over the documentation that came with my trailer lead me to the conclusion that Jayco hardly warranteed anything. Each component, system, and appliance supplied by a manufacturer came with its own seperate warranty which states they should be contacted, not Jayco if a problem develops.
Yes fill out an send all the individual warranty cards.

With that however Jayco's 2 year warranty is on EVERYTHING so contact them durin this time and it will be handled by them.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:39 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry G. View Post
Yes fill out an send all the individual warranty cards.

With that however Jayco's 2 year warranty is on EVERYTHING so contact them durin this time and it will be handled by them.

At three years now so no blanket coverage now.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:40 PM   #15

Call? No way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
Email. Keep a record of correspondence.
Phone call is only good for initial contact.

That's just my opinion.
Vaquero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:41 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaquero View Post
Email. Keep a record of correspondence.

Phone call is only good for initial contact.

That's just my opinion.

Solid advice.

Old 02-25-2018, 05:23 PM   #17

https://youtu.be/9i4xHWvl4aY

Here is the update as we go.