Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-09-2020, 07:59 PM   #1

Question solar prep

I bought a 2020 jayco red hawk 24 B and it has a solar prep on the roof, so all I need to do is install two panels right and hook up both connects to it?
arobinson6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 08:04 PM   #2
Lost in the Woods

Nope, you're right about mounting panels on the roof and connecting them to the connectors up there, but then you'll need to add a charge controller in the compartment next to the propane tank (where the roof cables terminate), and run cables to the battery tray and batteries.

Did you add a second battery yet?
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 08:35 AM   #3

solar

The compartment next to propane has a 110 plug and cable tv, its where I hook up the outdoor TV. 'll look to see if I have other cables in there.
I have a space for another battery next to the house battery, I have a 6 volt I used on a trickle solar.
Old 03-10-2020, 08:35 AM   #4

What is a charge controller and where do I get it
Old 03-10-2020, 09:25 AM   #5
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by arobinson6 View Post
The compartment next to propane has a 110 plug and cable tv, its where I hook up the outdoor TV. 'll look to see if I have other cables in there.
Look up in the back and top of that compartment with a flashlight. My rig has a black cover plate that says "solar connection" that has to be removed to plug in. It's tough to see if you don't look closely.

Quote:
I have a space for another battery next to the house battery, I have a 6 volt I used on a trickle solar.
Keep in mind, the house battery is 12 volt, if you add another one next to it in that step area, it has to also be a 12 volt. Don't add a 6 volt with a 12 volt. You can replace it with another 6 volt, but two different aged batteries shouldn't be added together.
Old 03-10-2020, 09:27 AM   #6
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by arobinson6 View Post
What is a charge controller and where do I get it
A charge controller takes the varying voltages coming from the panels and stabilizes down to 12 volt for the batteries. The panels themselves can put out a wide range of voltage, depending on the sun input. You don't want to feed 17 volts directly into the batteries.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=solar+cha...f=nb_sb_noss_1
Old 03-10-2020, 09:37 AM   #7

solar

I'll look today and see if I see the plate marked solar in that compartment. Ok didn't know that about two 12 volt batteries, this battery I also use in my truck for the wench, so won't go to waste. Just a standard 12 volt or a deep cycle or gel? What do you recommend ?
Old 03-10-2020, 09:44 AM   #8
Lost in the Woods

Definitely a deep cycle not a cranking battery. Take a look at your existing battery, and try to match it in specs. You should also do a load test to see how that existing battery responds. Mine was half dead when I bought my rig, due to the dealer letting it run down, and not keeping it charged.
Old 03-10-2020, 10:04 AM   #9

solar

My house battery is one with water, dont think its a deep cycle, obviously not gel but works well, will put my genie marine maintainer charger on it.
I'll get an interstate or some deep cycle at academy sports. But then do I run the solar cord to that battery?
Old 03-10-2020, 11:08 AM   #10
Lost in the Woods

Your house battery should be a deep cycle. Check the label and see if it says "DC24". That will tell you. DC stands for Deep Cycle.

Also, you'll need two connector cables, to connect both batteries in parallel, positive to positive, and negative to negative. This way both batteries will charge from the solar and both will provide power to the coach.
Old 03-11-2020, 08:23 AM   #11

solar

Oh wow, thanks, right now I have my genie maintainer on my house battery, I'll move that and add another battery, Thanks
I'll look to see if its deep cycle, you would think if its the main battery for a brand new cars C
Old 03-11-2020, 02:18 PM   #12

My 2019 317RLOK is Solar Ready, looks like wires are already connected to battery, but I need to open wall where GoPower decal is to find the wires from roof. From what I have been reading, the red wires will be cut and capped and the white wire (-) will be looped, have to figure out which end of that one goes which way. Then wire controlled and install panels and good to go.
kcordell57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 02:46 PM   #13

On my 2019 jayfeather, it came wired for solar, with connection on the roof and a plug on the tongue. I have yet to install anything although I have the controller and 2 panels for the roof waiting to go. My understanding (please someone correct me if I am wrong) is that these 2 are for different panels arrangements. The plug on the tongue is for panels set up on the ground, and the rooftop wires run behind the wall (in my trailers case in the dinette area) and a hole is cut in the wall to intercept those wires which are cut and reattached to the charge controller at that point. The tongue plug probably needs its own charge controller as well for the on ground panels.

Wall spot for controller mount (rooftop panels only)
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200324_123117.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	57296

Tongue plug for on ground panels

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200324_123211.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	57297
eagle55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 11:47 AM   #14

@eagle55 did you get an answer to this question? This is also my question.
BobbysWhitehawk29BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 12:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbysWhitehawk29BH View Post
@eagle55 did you get an answer to this question? This is also my question.
I haven't as of yet. It is a strong hunch however that these 2 points are for different solar arrangements of panels. The roof top mount factory wiring drops down the wall to tap into where the decal shows the controller. The ground panels (I believe they call them suitcase paels) Simply plug into the tongue plug. Whether there's some sort of crude charge controller built into that or if that is considered a part of the suitcase panels is still unknown to me.
Old 05-05-2020, 01:55 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle55 View Post
I haven't as of yet. It is a strong hunch however that these 2 points are for different solar arrangements of panels. The roof top mount factory wiring drops down the wall to tap into where the decal shows the controller. The ground panels (I believe they call them suitcase paels) Simply plug into the tongue plug. Whether there's some sort of crude charge controller built into that or if that is considered a part of the suitcase panels is still unknown to me.
For the portable panels that you would plug into the port on the side usually the charge controller is mounted on the backside of one of the panels. You will notice that you can get the "suitcases" both with and without a charge controller. My experience is there is usually not a built-in charge controller associated with the port on the side so of if plan to go the suitcase route you'll want to make sure that a charge controller is part of the setup - either included or get one of your favorite brand/type to add into the suitcase.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 01:57 PM   #17

Realize I have no idea how to reply to these threads...I think the solar set up on the hitch is not even wired into the battery connection. something like this has a charge controller built in.

Unfortunately I already have the panel without the charge controller.
Old 05-05-2020, 02:03 PM   #18

Thanks...but is that port on the side already wired back to the battery? Or does something need to be wired? In my manual bag I found a connector that would go into the port with wires sticking out. I was thinking that would hook to the battery when you wanted to use solar.
Old 05-05-2020, 02:25 PM   #19

Yes, the side-port should be wired to the battery already as the expectation is the portable unit will include the charge controller.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 04:32 PM   #20

Thanks for the good info on the side solar port. My side port, when my volt meter is making contact there shows battery voltage, so definitely hooked into the system on my trailer.

On another note, I have my trailer out of storage and in the driveway and am getting closer to installing the (2) 100 watt panels on the roof. I was wondering if anyone has any tips they would like to share as to mounting, sealant to use etc. I would like to be able to find the roof rafters (if that is what they are called on a travel trailer) to have a solid attachment point but the rubber membrane hides any clue as to where they might be. Thanks!