Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-09-2015, 10:44 AM   #21
Site Team

I do like my out door kitchen, The only problem I have is that if you need to raise the curb side to level it puts the odk really high.

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
WVDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 05:50 AM   #22

I wasn't sold on the odk before owning one, but deciding on the 32 it wasn't a choice.

Main reason is cooking right at the trailer and getting all that grease over the side. We usually would set the grill up either at the awning edge or under an ez-up.

With that said these are my thoughts after 15 nights in the new trailer.

May never use the cook top even though ~95%+ of the cooking is done outside. Already had a Coleman Roadtrip grill and Camp Chef Explorer 2 burner stove. I would prefer another drawer in it's place.

Cabinet storage is very nice as mentioned. Grill utinsels, foil, etc are easy to grab without going inside.

Fridge- home run here!!! All water, pop, and kids drinks are kept in it. Only the cooler has the adult beverages in it. Eliminated a cooler or 2 depending on the trip length.

Sink is nice to wash hands or small wash jobs when needed. Be nice if there was a pull out sprayer to get water for pot without going inside or to the backside of the 32 to the outdoor shower.

No microwave, but our friends have one. It is convenient being outside. Like someone else mentioned, we camp most of the time with a set of friends. 100% of the trips this season with them.

So, would we have an odk again on our next trailer if available, YES. If for no other reason than the fridge and cabinet storage. With the sink being a smaller percentage of the yes.

But it all depends on how big the family is, size of the trailer and floorplan, and just how much you pack in the trailer.

It does sound like you have decided, but if not 100% good luck! Lol Seems there never is a 100% correct decision on things like this...

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 12:51 PM   #23

Yeah, never a 100%. I do like the idea of the fridge. Most seem to not really use the stove portion. I think ideally, if I could design my own, I'd have a pullout counter with a couple drawers and the small fridge. By the outdoor shower I'd add a flip down/up/pull out sink in case I need that. Convert the rest of the ODK to lockable storage space. Are you reading this JAYCO?? LOL
rangerdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 01:37 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerdoc View Post
I do like the idea of the fridge. Most seem to not really use the stove portion. I think ideally, if I could design my own, I'd have a pullout counter with a couple drawers and the small fridge. By the outdoor shower I'd add a flip down/up/pull out sink in case I need that. Convert the rest of the ODK to lockable storage space. Are you reading this JAYCO?? LOL
As noted earlier, we've been outdoor kitchen advocates since getting our tent-trailer in 1984, and it is used on every outing (even in bear country). We either travel by ourselves or with one other couple who do not have an outdoor kitchen but love eating in our campsite because of ours ~ we call it the 'man cave' since it is used exclusively by my DH (I own the inside turf). Our TT has the following U-shape set-up located at the back passenger-side of the TT under the bunks: [1] 3-burner cooktop rollout drawer - perfect for making early morning coffee with our Coleman drip (reduces inside humidity and early morning noise for late sleepers) or cooking dinner sides and sauces; [2] microwave - and believe it or not, we'll kick-on the generator to use it for our melted brie or potato-in-a-sak; [3] mini-fridge - we use when we have hook-ups, or it becomes our bread/chip storage when dry-camping; [4] roll-out drawer that holds ALL our outdoor cooking utensils; [5] bumper-mounted BBQ (away from the TT sides and awning) - that is perfectly located opposite the rolled-out cooktop, and easy to clean when using SimpleGreen; [6] no sink - but we use the outside shower and our collapsible tubs when needing a water source to rinse vegetables or wash dishes (when dry-camping and so I can take showers, we limit what goes into the gray water tank). When in transit, we store the BBQ on the counter within a hefty trash bag, stash the lanterns in corners, and pad everything with our picnic-table bench cushions, table-top, and food canopies ~ it is firmly packed and nothing shifts.

Funny aside - nothing tastes better in the early morning than that first cup of coffee by the fire pit; I knitted a 'hanskie' (ask if you want the pattern) shaped perfectly to hold that cuppa joe.

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 06:43 PM   #25

I'm one of those rare people that doesn't drink coffee. Never cared for the ritual. My family is actually a tea family and I never caught on to that either. I just like a big glass of OJ!
rangerdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 09:24 AM   #26

I have been looking at campers for a good while which I just settled on a 2015 28DSBH. I looked at many different models and the outdoor kitchen took away a lot storage. At the minimum, I wanted an outdoor fridge and that is why I went with the 28DSBH. I get my fridge and storage.

I also didn't want to cook next to my camper. It takes just minutes to get your grill and folding table set up. Setting up camp is one of the best things about camping.
gradertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 08:45 PM   #27

@ tylersdad

Question for you, what model camp chef? I have the Pro 90 that I have been running since 2009 and have never had any problems.. But I rarely run the burners completely exposed.

I have an outdoor kitchen and love it! But mine does not have the useless cook top, mine has the microwave and the sink. I set my camp chef up at the end of my trailer near the outdoor kitchen and use the microwave as a staging area for hot foods if there is anything that is still finishing up. I constantly use the sink to wash my hands while I am cooking. As far as the refrigerator I took mine out so I could make use of the space for storage. Like others have mentioned if the refrigerator was a three way or at least A/C and gas I would use the heck out of it, so I think Jayco really missed the mark on that.
Old 12-11-2015, 09:06 PM   #28

I have this one.

http://www.campchef.com/expedition-3...ner-stove.html

I use it with the barbecue box and the pizza oven. I use the wind guard. Makes no difference. Less than 35% of max, it blows out with the slightest breeze.
Old 12-12-2015, 08:50 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylersdad View Post
I have this one.

Expedition 3X Three-Burner Stove | Camp Chef

I use it with the barbecue box and the pizza oven. I use the wind guard. Makes no difference. Less than 35% of max, it blows out with the slightest breeze.
I have the CC Big Gas, 3 burner and use it with the same attachments as well as my DO. What I do is wrap the back with tin foil and cover the small gap in the lower portion between the drip pan and frame. This allows me to limit the "blow out". Also I have found that working directly off the tank limits the blow out as well due to more gas flow vs the trailers quick connect. I still use the quick connect, but when I use it elsewhere like that I seem to be able to get the gas lower before it blows out.

Another thing, if you haven't tried, is to adjust your mixing valves behind the flow valves for each burner.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 09:29 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'senough View Post
I have the CC Big Gas, 3 burner and use it with the same attachments as well as my DO. What I do is wrap the back with tin foil and cover the small gap in the lower portion between the drip pan and frame. This allows me to limit the "blow out". Also I have found that working directly off the tank limits the blow out as well due to more gas flow vs the trailers quick connect. I still use the quick connect, but when I use it elsewhere like that I seem to be able to get the gas lower before it blows out.

Another thing, if you haven't tried, is to adjust your mixing valves behind the flow valves for each burner.

I did the same thing. Wrapped it in foil and put a large skillet over the 3rd burner. Same issues. I have the quick connect hose but have not yet used it. I've only ever used a 20lb propane tank.

I've also tried making adjustments to the mixing valves. They didn't really seem to do much.