Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-27-2021, 07:14 PM   #1

Sometimes I just want to throw a chunk under it

Sometimes I just want to throw a chunk under it and forget about it. I'm not sure where that expression comes from but my daddy and grandfather used to say it. I told my dad I bet when he got aggravated at something like a tractor on the farm he would just throw a chunk of something under the tire and forget about it for a little while. He thought that might be it.

Anyway I'm about ready to throw a chunk under my two-year-old camper. We had water issues last fall and they were supposed to have been fixed. Water was leaking from the bottom when the kitchen sink was being used.

Two weekends ago, all seemed well until we got busy washing dishes and filled up the gray water tank. It started overflowing and I was hoping we just had an overflow hose and it was doing its job. I emptied water out of the gray water tank and continued using the kitchen sink without issues.

Some of you answered my other thread and said that it is a sealed system. Yes it is. I pulled the bottom off my camper today and pulled a bunch of cheesy smelling insulation out and threw it away. But I can't find the leak. I live in an apartment so I don't have water hose hookup to pressurize the system. So I guess this weekend when I camp I will also be under my trailer instead of in it. I just want to go on one trip where I don't have to worry about anything.

Larry
crockettlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 07:25 PM   #2

Unfortunately if we want something done right we have to do it ourselves. Good luck.
Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 07:25 PM   #3

There are no trips where you don't have to "worry" about anything! Owning an RV is an adventure and you never know what is going to happen. If I'm not fixing something, I'm upgrading something, if I'm not upgrading something I am taking something else apart to see how it works. It definitely helps to be handy and have some mechanical ability when you own one. With the bottom of your camper opened up you should be able to get a pretty good idea of what is going on with your leak.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 07:30 PM   #4

Yeah I have owned trailers for 25 years or so. And I'm not even sure that there weren't two problems and the dealer did take care of one but didn't see the other so I can't really fault them. Especially since it appears the current issue only happens with a full gray tank. I doubt they fill up the tanks completely to check everything so I'm not really upset about that.

And you're right. There is never a trip where there is not something to be watching and worried about. Even when everything is going well, I'm constantly worried about the stupidly thin rubber roofs we have.

Larry
crockettlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 08:53 PM   #5

We have owned our trailer four years this past March. We try to make at least one trip a month, most less than 150 miles from home. We keep a “Fix it“ log book to keep track of things that need attention. During our last two trips we came home with nothing added to the list! First time that has happened, and twice in a row.

Hope that becomes the Norm...if I didn’t just Jinx myself.

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote