Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-17-2015, 06:57 PM   #21

As long as this subject has come up, pardon my thread hijack, when a trucker or another RVer passes you and once they have more than enough room to move back into your lane, do you turn your head lights on and off (or off then on) to let them know they have room move back over?

When we first started towing a trailer in 1983, I noticed that semi-truckers always did this, whether I passed them or another trucker. Back then, once the passing party got the headlight signal and moved back over, they would signal "thank you" by flicking their tail lights on & off.

I still do this as a courtesy but probably only get a response form less than half of the others.

Anybody else do this? (Or am I just a dinosaur)

Murff

Andersen Hitch
Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 07:12 PM   #22

Yep 700,000+ in a big rig it's the courteous thing to do, but then I am a dinosaur

2007 Layton 245LF (sold)

Learn from others mistakes, you'll never live long enough to make them all yourself. Eleanor Roosevelt
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 07:22 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post
As long as this subject has come up, pardon my thread hijack, when a trucker or another RVer passes you and once they have more than enough room to move back into your lane, do you turn your head lights on and off (or off then on) to let them know they have room move back over?

When we first started towing a trailer in 1983, I noticed that semi-truckers always did this, whether I passed them or another trucker. Back then, once the passing party got the headlight signal and moved back over, they would signal "thank you" by flicking their tail lights on & off.

I still do this as a courtesy but probably only get a response form less than half of the others.

Anybody else do this? (Or am I just a dinosaur)

Murff

I always flick my lights. It's courteous as well as a safety habit.
Equal-I-Zerô WDH
Me, Momma and Charles (RIP buddy)
And introducing Sofie!! ;)
TWP723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 07:24 PM   #24

The maximum speed limit for vehicles towing trailers is 55 MPH in California. There are signs every few miles that say this.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:34 PM   #25

Since we are veering off-course I'll lead us further astray!

IMHO the makeup of big rig drivers has changed, and the professionalism (and courtesy) has changed and not for the good in some cases. My brother is a traffic cop here in our city and he states that with many of the independent semi drivers he interacts with, English is definitely their second language. Not that this is bad in itself, but you have to wonder if the traditions (and courtesies) have been passed down to these drivers. Oftentimes when he inspects their trucks it is obvious they did not; and many have to come off the highway behind a wrecker. He tells me there is no comparison between the big company drivers (that for the most part are legal) and the independents. Conduct your own survey and see what you come up with.

I still flash all of them, and many do return the favor. But the occasions I don't get a response is going up as the years go by.
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:03 PM   #26

On our drive from Seattle to Ohio in June with the new White Hawk, I could not believe the way truckers drive in the mid-west. Going from Illinois to Indiana on the Tollway, the semis were in three center lanes and so close together, no one could get between them to change lanes! All of this at 65+ miles per hour.

I drove professionally for about 45 years in the Seattle area, so I am no newby when it comes to driving on the freeways. However, I bailed just inside IN. and headed for U.S. 6 and then U.S. 30. Very nice highway! So nice, we took it back all the way but wished we had found a better route through South Chicago!

Felt like this:

https://youtu.be/hwBoa-NbNL8

CAUTION: Crude language at 0:50 seconds

Murff
Andersen Hitch
Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:35 PM   #27

Think all states the minimum speed is 45 on the interstate so as for the one finger salutes ignore them and remember your on free time and not in the rat race like them!!
chuckerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 09:54 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
As long as you are staying in the right lane and there is a passing lane, no has any right to be upset with you. Sadly, our world has become full of impatient north ends of south bound horses that only care for themselves.

One thing to consider is many RVers do hog the roads (I'm not saying you were). I wish I had a dollar for every time I got stuck behind some inconsiderate jerk in a motorhome driving well below the speed limit on a winding two lane road with few to no passing zones that refused to use the pullouts provided for slow drivers. Selfish idiots like that foment hostility for all RVers.
Just don't ask me to drive on the shoulder and we're all good. I absolutely will not drive on the shoulder unless I have NO other option, and probably not even then. If I'm going slow on a 2-lane and the only other place to be is the shoulder, you can pass when it's safe or you can wait. Now, I will immediately move to the right to an available passing lane when it becomes available. But it drives me nuts when people cannot complete their pass within the designated area, then I have to slow down to let them in, and that really chaps me. If you can't finish your pass, then you can just settle back in behind me and wait.

I guess I'm a young dinosaur, I always give a flash to passing rigs, I get a "hat tip" maybe 1/2 the time.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 07:28 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Just don't ask me to drive on the shoulder and we're all good. I absolutely will not drive on the shoulder unless I have NO other option, and probably not even then. If I'm going slow on a 2-lane and the only other place to be is the shoulder, you can pass when it's safe or you can wait. Now, I will immediately move to the right to an available passing lane when it becomes available. But it drives me nuts when people cannot complete their pass within the designated area, then I have to slow down to let them in, and that really chaps me. If you can't finish your pass, then you can just settle back in behind me and wait.

I guess I'm a young dinosaur, I always give a flash to passing rigs, I get a "hat tip" maybe 1/2 the time.
I was not expecting you, or any one else to drive on the shoulder. Many States, including AZ, provide places called turnouts on the side of many two lane roads that offer few places for passing. These are paved areas at the side of the road that drivers of slow vehicles can pull into and wait a bit to allow the faster drivers piling up behind them to pass. AZ posts signs instructing slower drivers to use the turnout to allow faster drivers to pass but, sadly, there are many RVers who apparently feel the signs do not apply to them (or they just selfishly don't care). 89A up in the Arizona Strip (the area north off the Colorado River Canyons) is a beautiful stretch of road but I avoid it like the plague because every time I've been on it, I get stuck behind at least one motorhome driver who refuses to use the turnouts. It's a pity that a small percentage of RVers have to ruin it for everyone.

On the subject of big rig courtesy, that is rapidly becoming history. I rarely see the big rigs flashing lights for even other big rigs. I haven't had one flash me in years (get your minds out the gutter).
Old 08-18-2015, 08:44 AM   #30

I was happy to see the 55 mph speed limit (if towing) in CA. I didn't realize I was also restricted to the two right lanes until I just now checked online but never ventured that far over anyway when I was there. Regarding two lane roads, I wish there were more signs to tell you there is a pull out ahead. When you need one (so others can pass) seems like there is always someone right on your butt pushing. Would serve them right if you slam on the brakes to catch it but darn, don't want to hurt the 5th!

MzLiz is offline   Reply With Quote