Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-27-2022, 08:41 AM   #1

Split A/C

I saw a you tube video regarding camping in HOT weather for extended time periods while operating on a generator. The individual recommended a "split AC" system for your RV. My guess, it is an electrical system that allows each AC unit to be on a circuit of its own. Anyone know?
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 09:11 AM   #2

It's hard to tell in this context if "split AC" refers to an alternating current or an air conditioning system. I would have guessed that he was recommending to use one of the mini-split ductless air conditioning systems that tend to be more energy efficient (run on less amperage) than typical RV air conditioners. But your guess could also be right...
Old 06-27-2022, 09:12 AM   #3
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty Cox View Post
I saw a you tube video regarding camping in HOT weather for extended time periods while operating on a generator. The individual recommended a "split AC" system for your RV. My guess, it is an electrical system that allows each AC unit to be on a circuit of its own. Anyone know?
Hard to say without more context. At one time residential AC's were commonly self contained units where the condenser, air handler, heat strip etc were all in one unit with 2 ducts, one supplying cold air or warm air and the other returning air to the unit. A "split" system was/is one where the condenser and compressor are outdoors and the evaporator, furnace, airhandler, etc are indoors. They could be talking about a mini-split, which is just a ductless split system usually on a wall. Or as you say running AC's on separate circuits i.e., running a split dogbone off a 50 amp with two 30 amp legs or running two AC's on a 30 amp system with a load balancing feature which prevents system overloading.
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 02:01 PM   #4

My guess would be that 'Split AC' refers to two separate units. While boon-docking and operating a generator to run your AC, most common generators are 30Amp units. While most RV AC units average 15K BTU that pull about 13-14 .5 Amps, running two would pretty much exceed a 30Amp generator. When we boon-dock and are running the AC, we have either the bedroom unit running or the living space, depending which space we are occupying. The AC keeps everything comfortable, but both will defiantly make you feel like you are in heaven on a hot miserable day.
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 05:57 AM   #5

I'm pretty sure that the OP is referring to the use of a mini-split unit. I'd never heard about it before, but recently there was a post here regarding mini-splits.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...sys-85705.html
https://aircondlounge.com/rv-mini-sp...tioning-guide/
https://www.hvachowto.com/what-is-th...rv-or-trailer/
2019 Jayco Jayflight 28RLS (New York)
The latest government survey finds that 3 out of 4 people account for 75% of the total population.
JB13502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 06:20 AM   #6
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB13502 View Post
I'm pretty sure that the OP is referring to the use of a mini-split unit. I'd never heard about it before, but recently there was a post here regarding mini-splits.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...sys-85705.html
https://aircondlounge.com/rv-mini-sp...tioning-guide/
https://www.hvachowto.com/what-is-th...rv-or-trailer/
Thanks for the links, I'm considering a mini-split for the rear of my unit. I'd like to mount it (air handler) on the rear bedroom wall. My main concern however is the beating the condensor is going to take mounted at the rear bumper area.
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 06:29 PM   #7

I'm down in Tennessee this week, one of our neighbors has a mini split installed in the generator bay of his 5th wheel. He cut out some of the flooring to get more ventilation and has a single head inside above his entry door.

He says it pulls about 4 amps initially, then usually less than 2 as it cools. He said that one 12k mini split unit cooled his camper better, faster and quieter than his 2 rooftop 15k units.

It's really motivated me to consider a mini split in my next camper, which will likely be a 5th wheel. I'd probably put a generator slider so that it can pull out for better ventilation.

I just wonder if I could order a camper without any rooftop air conditioners. I'd prefer not to have those holes in my roof and have 12" less height to worry about.

A 2000 watt generator could easily power the mini split, a residential fridge and some lights...
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 08:08 AM   #8

[QUOTE=spoon059;1066323]I'm down in Tennessee this week, one of our neighbors has a mini split installed in the generator bay of his 5th wheel. He cut out some of the flooring to get more ventilation and has a single head inside above his entry door.

He says it pulls about 4 amps initially, then usually less than 2 as it cools. He said that one 12k mini split unit cooled his camper better, faster and quieter than his 2 rooftop 15k units.

It's really motivated me to consider a mini split in my next camper, which will likely be a 5th wheel. I'd probably put a generator slider so that it can pull out for better ventilation.

I just wonder if I could order a camper without any rooftop air conditioners. I'd prefer not to have those holes in my roof and have 12" less height to worry about.

A 2000 watt generator could easily power the mini split, a residential fridge and some lights...

You will still have the holes in the roof. They will be fitted with one of those cheap flip up covers, and maybe have a crappy fan. The insulated vent covers work pretty well. We keep one permanently in the main living area of our fifth wheel. It’s 10feet from the floor, and the factory didn’t seem it necessary to put a fan in it. I haven’t tried to install one, because I don’t really want to try and pull a power source for it.
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 04:59 PM   #9

Why do you think it couldn't be ordered without the hole cut out? Seems easy enough to have them leave the plywood decking and roofing material, rather than cutting it out. I'm not sure if that is something that could be requested as a normal course of business though. I'd much prefer to have no hole and have an open circuit in my circuit box.

It is an interesting option to take out the AC and cover up the hole with a regular roof vent though. I'd rather have a 3" high bump on the roof than a 12" high bump, given the option.
Old 08-10-2022, 11:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
I'd probably put a generator slider so that it can pull out for better ventilation.
I think I read a post on FB on a boondockers/solar group and there's no way to have flexible tubing for this slide idea to work. But, I don't know much about mini-splits (other than everyone is telling me that I'm insane for not switching to one with my battery/inverter/solar upgrade project).
Old 08-11-2022, 11:36 AM   #11

For some reason I couldn't get my pictures to load, sorry. It was just an image of the mini-split mounted in his front compartment and the head mounted above his front door.

ependydad, good point about the tubing. I've been the MrCool versions that come with pre-charged lines and you aren't supposed to cut the lines if you have extra line. Seems to me that you could keep that coiled up behind the unit which would allow you to slide out the mini-split and just stretch the space between the coils. Does that make sense?

Also, I have seen small flexible refrigerant lines used in one videos on YouTube. I'll try to find the video again and post it here, but essentially when this guy tied in the hard lines, he had a failure due to vibration. He found these braided stainless steel flex lines and tied them in and hasn't had any problems since then.
Old 08-11-2022, 11:48 AM   #12
Site Team

There is so much info that it is worth it to just google: mini split ac in a rv and see what pops up. I saw articles and pictures on rear mount, front mount, using solar to power the unit etc.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 12:06 PM   #13

Split A/C

Someone mentioned deleting the factory rooftop AC. I can only comment on my ordering and having the factory delete some items. When I ordered our 2017 28BHBE, I requested the bubble in the shower ceiling and the batwing tv antenna be deleted. The factory approved my request and those items were deleted. I originally asked that the rear door (this model has two entries) be deleted and that was approved but then I changed my mind and kept the second door.

No idea if they still allow this but it doesn’t hurt to ask.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 01:38 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCo View Post
Someone mentioned deleting the factory rooftop AC. I can only comment on my ordering and having the factory delete some items. When I ordered our 2017 28BHBE, I requested the bubble in the shower ceiling and the batwing tv antenna be deleted. The factory approved my request and those items were deleted. I originally asked that the rear door (this model has two entries) be deleted and that was approved but then I changed my mind and kept the second door.

I'm impressed they did so much. On my 2022 Precept, I asked for a combo washer/dryer and they approved it but it still came with a stackable.
Old 08-11-2022, 06:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCo View Post

That's another thing, the tv antenna. We don't watch over the air television, and rarely use the TV when traveling. I would like to avoid as many roof penetrations as possible, so TV and radio antennas are unnecessary for me too.

We're going to start heading to the RV shows this fall and research our next camper. If there are any manufacuring reps available, I might start asking those questions. We are still about 4 years out from a purchase, but I like to do a LOT of research...