Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-12-2011, 02:31 PM   #1

Stabilizer Jacks, What type do you use

Does everyone just use the manufacture installed stabilizer jacks or do you guys upgrade to something better? Scissor Jacks instead of the single leg screw downs? I am a little leery about the single leg ones? Anyone had problems? They seem flimsy.
OffTheGround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:08 PM   #2

It depends what the jacks are mounted on. The single leg jacks can be more stable than the scissors jacks but require quite a bit of verticle room to operate. About the only place they can be used is for landing gear on a 5'er.

Jayco has an option for the Eagles fo an electric swingdown jack similar to the BALs that, theoretically, should be more stable than scissors jacks but, based on walking through similar trailers that had one or the other, I couldn't really tell one was better than the other. I don't like the electric ones because both legs go dowen at the same rate. If on unlevel ground, it would be necessary to shim under the leg on the low side. At least a scissors jack would keep going down until it reached the ground.

Motor homes usually have vertically operating hydraulic jacks. Those also require a certain amount of vertical room and usually have little ground clearance under them (which isn't a problem since they are located close to the wheels).

The aftermarket jacks such as the BALs appear to me to be more stable and each leg is independent of the other. They can also be electrified.

There are also stabilizing systems that can be added to jacks to reduce sway.

I personally plan on getting the scissors jacks when I buy my TT. The stock electrics would be more convenient if it wasn't necessary to shim the low side. I can use a battery operated drill to raise an lower the jacks. I appear to be less sensitive to bounce and sway than most people so the scissors jacks should be just fine but if they do get a bit too shakey, I'll just add a stabilizing system such as the Steadyfast.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:30 PM   #3

I got the electric Stabilizer jacks with my Eagle 330rlts. I got tired of getting the drill out to let my jacks down.
On my first outing I discovered that the electric jacks will stabilize but will not level like I use to with my manual jacks.
The electric jacks come down, if unlevel, one jack touches the ground and waits for the other side to catch up and when both sides are in contact with the ground they both come down, but only enough to stabilize then they quit lifting. In the past I would level up my camper by hand with my crank down jacks but with the electric ones you have to have your camper level before letting the jacks down.
Something I will have to get use to but it is nice to just hit a button to let the jacks down.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:59 PM   #4
Site Team

It has always been my understanding that stabilizer jacks are not to be used to level the trailer. They are only to be "snug" on the ground. Leveling should be achieved front to back with the tongue jack and side to side with items such as boards or Linx leveler blocks under the tires. The stabilizers are for just that- stabilizing the trailer. Not sure which is best, I have only had the scissor jacks but also add a pair of jack stands under the frame just forward of the front tire. That helps a bunch.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:47 PM   #5

I just bought a 3rd set of jacks and put them on the frame in front of the wheels. on the front page of the instructions it says, THIS LEVELING SISSORS JACK Is DESIGNED TO: level and stabilize the front and rear of all rec vehicles etc etc etc. Now safety warning it also says do not attempt to use this sissors jack to lift excessive weight or tires iff the ground. I have used the front and back jacks to level out the trailer before and never had a problem, trailer was not out of level a whole bunch but still out. Ernie
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
I don't like the electric ones because both legs go dowen at the same rate. If on unlevel ground, it would be necessary to shim under the leg on the low side. At least a scissors jack would keep going down until it reached the ground.

The electric jacks do go down at the same rate but when one touches down the other keeps going down until it touches. Then they both lift the same. Shims are not necessary on one side or the other.

I have had all the different types over the years and none are really any better than another in my opinion. Just having to push a couple of buttons sure beat cranks, ratches or getting out a power drill.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:41 PM   #7

I don't know about other tt's but our G2 29BHS... we were told that the stabilizers are designed to stabilize only; never try to level our tt with them.
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
It has always been my understanding that stabilizer jacks are not to be used to level the trailer. They are only to be "snug" on the ground. Leveling should be achieved front to back with the tongue jack and side to side with items such as boards or Linx leveler blocks under the tires. The stabilizers are for just that- stabilizing the trailer. Not sure which is best, I have only had the scissor jacks but also add a pair of jack stands under the frame just forward of the front tire. That helps a bunch.
What you say about leveling is true, however, many people do level a little with the scissor jacks all the time without apparant damage. The question is moot for me as I have the electric stabilizers.

Tom
altar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:12 PM   #9

I also was told the same thing about not using the jacks to level, but in the past I could level with manual. Now I'm not talking about 6 inches but if my camper was a bubble off I used my jacks without ever having a problem. With the electric jacks I have now, leveling is no longer a option. I just have to pay a lttle closer attention to my levels now win I first setup and level with pads under my tires. Just something I will get use to.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:45 PM   #10

The jacks that I bought are the same jacks that are on the trailer. If I have to level over 1/2 a bubble then I will use boards under the tires but according to the instruction sheet that I got with the trailer it is ok to level the trailer with the scissor jack [to a point]. Ernie
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote