Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-02-2014, 10:05 AM   #1

Stabilizer jacks won't stay down

I'm trying to set up our jay flight and when I put down the manual supports and try and put pressure on them they unwind themselves not giving the trailer any support. I don't see any adjustments on them other then tightening the bolts where it pivots. Any idea what is wrong with them. The trailer bounces around when they back off and people walk around.
dubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:28 AM   #2

Are they actually 'unscrewing' or is the jack settling into soft ground a little bit?
I always put wood blocks under the jack pads to increase the surface area on the ground and a provide firmer footing for the jack.

2016 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5 FBDS w/ 15,000 BTU AC, 50 amp service, upgraded counter top, thermal pane windows, elec. stab jacks, outside grill, backup camera and MORryde pin box.
2011 GMC 2500HD DURAMAX/ ALLISON
Tail_gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:45 AM   #3

I never herd of that problem before.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:49 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubbs View Post
I'm trying to set up our jay flight and when I put down the manual supports and try and put pressure on them they unwind themselves not giving the trailer any support. I don't see any adjustments on them other then tightening the bolts where it pivots. Any idea what is wrong with them. The trailer bounces around when they back off and people walk around.
Almost sounds like your not putting enough pressure on them
chrisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 11:38 AM   #5

As a total newbie with just 2 trips under my belt, I've noticed the stabilizers need adjusting a day or 2 after set-up. Just assumed it was from settling of the TT. I've not noticed any immediate "unwinding", but wasn't exactly watching for it either.
Pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 01:28 PM   #6

[QUOTE=Pappy;221396]As a total newbie with just 2 trips under my belt, I've noticed the stabilizers need adjusting a day or 2 after set-up.

This is true! I do make slight adjustments during my stay.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 01:46 PM   #7

Yes they are unwinding. I put them up and when I pull off the wrench I can watch them unscrew. The more you walk around the trailer a bit and go back out they are only finger tight. Seems like there is too much
Old 08-02-2014, 01:47 PM   #8

Yes they are unwinding. I put them up and when I pull off the wrench I can watch them unscrew. The more you walk around the trailer a bit and go back out they are only finger tight. Seems like there is too much play in the screw part.
Old 08-02-2014, 01:55 PM   #9

Time and a little rust on the threads will stop them from unwinding on their own.

John & Nancy
Jay Feather 25Z 2007
Ford F-150 XLT 5.4 Triton 2008
TeamFoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 04:15 PM   #10

I had that problem with a couple of jacks on my TT right after I lubed them. Time and rust cured the problem.

You might try more or less blocks under the jacks to see if higher or lower makes a difference. Or just throw some dust on the screws to add friction (that was a joke, sort of, but it would probably help)
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 04:19 PM   #11

If these are the scissor type there is probably some oil or grease in the friction plate right behind the crank nut. Wash it out with solvent and it should be OK.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 05:34 PM   #12

I just left mine down and pulled out of our driveway AAARRRGGGGG
Old 08-02-2014, 08:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
AAARRRGGGGG
Is that the sound they made as they dragged across the pavement?
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 07:26 AM   #14

haha pretty much. I just got a new receiver for my wdh and was in a rush to try it out for measurements with a storm coming in. ripped the inside bolts out. Could have been worse jacks are still usable.
Old 05-28-2016, 03:31 PM   #15

I have the same problem. The left back jack on the 2005 fifth wheel just comes unwound the second I take pressure off and stop cranking. I am hoping that time and rust will fix it, because the camper is at a slight tilt right now.
QZEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:19 PM   #16

I also have a stabilizer jack that retracts itself as soon as I take off the wrench. I have learned to just adjust it every so often. I have a 2012 jayflight 26rks.
tj3829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:38 PM   #17

I've got the same problem. It isn't soft ground, and recranking doesn't help because it unwinds immediately. Thanks for the idea about the friction plate. I will spray some contact cleaner on it to get any grease off of it and see if that helps.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 11:54 AM   #18

Hi All,

I am having the same issue with the stabilizer jacks on our 2015 Jayco 26BHS. It has been a problem for over a year now. I haven't had time to get it back into the dealer to have them take a look at it, so I bought four vice-grips and have to use those to clamp back-end of the screws to keep them from backing out every time we use the camper - it's getting old.

I called the dealer and am waiting for them to call me back to schedule a service appointment. With work and other obligations, it's going to be a pain to drive the 120 miles round-trip to demonstrate what is going on with the jacks. It would probably be cheaper/faster to replace all four with BAL jacks.

I called Jayco today and they said the jacks on my unit were provided by a company called Crystal Valley Sales. I called Crystal Valley directly to talk to them and they had never heard of an issue like this.

I'm wondering if anybody with the same issue got it resolved and what the problem was. I did find an exploded parts diagram for the BAL jacks and they have show an "o-ring brake" between the thrust bearing and the spacer bearing washer. This is where the "slippage" seems to occur when my jack screws back out once I put them down - I don't have anything like that o-ring at all on mine.

Thanks!

Kind regards,
Chris Charles

2015 Jayco 26BHS
2019 Chevy Express 3500 15-Passenger w/ 6.0L
charlesfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 08:50 AM   #19

The same thing is happening to me...on my new Jayco Jayflight 28rbds. If I put any pressure on the jack it just unwinds... I'm thinking about getting some wingnuts to spin onto the threads and butt them up to the back of the jack. But I should not have to do this.
Buddagriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 09:48 PM   #20

I just joined JayOwners and came across this post from several years ago. I know of a cure for this problem and it's listed on eBay as a "Nut Lock". A simple idea, long overdue for us TT owners. Mine is a 2016 Jay Flight 28BHBE.
Attached Thumbnails
Clip on Close Cut.jpg  
Sizzer Jack is offline   Reply With Quote