Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-06-2023, 05:57 PM   #1

Stair mats

I have a new-to-me 2020 Precept 31UL and was leery of adding rug-type covers to the folding steps (to protect the vinyl floors from fine, sharp gravel that was being tracked in at my storage lot) ....... it didn't look to me like there was enough clearance for them (and Kwikee/Lippert doesn't like 'em installed at all.) BUT, I gambled and lucked out ...... a rare happening for me. I just thought I would document this in case others were wary also. The material is similar to what I had on my old (single step) coach ..... and it doesn't hold the water real long after a rain.

I didn't find a lot of choices wide enough for the 24" steps on my coach, but etrailer had these at 23".... so nice fit. Kinda pricey , but installation was quick and easy.....a pic is attached. I have no vested interest in this company or any of its products, BTW.

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Step-Cov...xoC_sIQAvD_BwE

BTW-2 I also cut some pieces of carpet remnant (cheap) to fit inside with the slides in. I was having to pick small gravel pieces out of the vinyl floor surface after vacuuming ....... hopefully, no mas.

Good times and safe travels.
Attached Thumbnails
Step Covers.jpg  
Toad: 2016 Kia Soul w/6-spd DIY
"Be the person you needed when you were younger"
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 07:01 PM   #2
Site Team

Nice looking mod! I recently replaced my 5th wheel steps and miss the carpet. I have made my own in the past with marine carpet.
Is the “gravel catcher “ claim on your material worth the price?
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 08:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Nice looking mod! I recently replaced my 5th wheel steps and miss the carpet. I have made my own in the past with marine carpet.
Is the “gravel catcher “ claim on your material worth the price?
I think so, but not all would agree. In my case, the vinyl flooring is/was in perfect condition (2 year old coach with 2500 miles on it) and after I would vacuum it, I would have to pick some of the fine gravel pieces out of the vinyl surface with my fingernail...... and I only got home with the coach in early December. The storage lot surface is made of the mill tailings from existing asphalt roads which have been milled down before resurfacing so the gravel bits are black asphalt coated. Worried me. The guy probably gets the material for free or nearly so and then he levels it out and rolls it with his own heavy equipment. I'd wager the material is very inexpensive.....maybe free.

My old coach had these covers + my carpet "runners" inside and fared well for many years.

I have been at this huge lot for over 8 years and there are not a lot of places in the Denver area with as good security as there ........... about 1000 units stored and not one cat converter theft yet.......amazing. But I do hate the surface. :^)

Best.
Toad: 2016 Kia Soul w/6-spd DIY
"Be the person you needed when you were younger"
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote