Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-06-2023, 06:00 PM   #21
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty42 View Post
I bought an RV to get away from the connected world. To each their own but when I see a good number of our camp neighbors spending their time inside the RV instead of outside...what's the point?

For clarity I am not referring to those who work remotely. So at the end of the day, this is not a need or want for me.

Actually, one of the TVs is outside and viewable on the "patio". Sometimes it is 95 outside and you might want to be inside for a bit. Books are great but losing track of the rest of the world in this day and age also could leave you wondering what happened that we got into WW III when you come back. You might even like a little local news from home before bedtime, or a movie on a rainy, cold evening.

Fact is, the point is that others have different lifestyles and needs. Dissing their way of life, well, live and let live. Your life style may not be for them.

CAG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 08:08 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post
I think it comes down to how many nights a year you are using your RV. We are at about 80 per year. I don't think I need to spend every moment outside.
Well over a 100 a year for me. Between the boat, the SXS and my smoker at camp, I have plenty to do to keep me busy!
Frosty42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 08:18 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Fact is, the point is that others have different lifestyles and needs. .

For us, a large part of our travels are to get to the next cool spot down the road so we're using our trailer as a portable hotel room. Not really trying to get away from it all.

Cheers,

Dave
DAT-IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 09:03 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Actually, one of the TVs is outside and viewable on the "patio". Sometimes it is 95 outside and you might want to be inside for a bit. Books are great but losing track of the rest of the world in this day and age also could leave you wondering what happened that we got into WW III when you come back. You might even like a little local news from home before bedtime, or a movie on a rainy, cold evening.

Fact is, the point is that others have different lifestyles and needs. Dissing their way of life, well, live and let live. Your life style may not be for them.
Wasn't dissing anyone...simply pointing out that this has become the norm rather than the exception. If you need to stay connected and watch TV outside while camping, are you really camping? A hotel with free wifi is probably cheaper.For me, if it's cold outside, I throw more wood on the fire.

Look, I'm not knocking anybody for it. It's my opinion. Maybe getting back to the basics is what this world needs, especially kids. My grandkids know that once they get to camp, there are no phones, internet or video games. Instead of spending money on being connected, I spend that money on outdoor sports for the kids.
Old 03-07-2023, 12:20 PM   #25

Certainly everyone has different wants and desires and even different definitions for what "basics" mean. I started camping ~50 years ago with a backpack carrying a small tent, sleeping bag, and fishing pole and a few cans of sardines and I thought to myself, all these RV people should get back to basics. lol When I RV now days, I like to be have more creature comforts than I had ~50 yrs ago and I appreciate being able to have internet access in order to locate areas of interest near where I am at or plan to be, and to search the area(s) with google earth that I may want to drive to and sight see. I also use the internet to help me find my next RV campground (or boondocking) location as well as to make a reservation.

I suggest that at least for myself, there is a difference in what I like to have with me in order to RV (camp) at a local lake with friends and family vs what I want or need to have when I don't have a specific next destination in mind and in particular when I am in an area with no wifi or cell phone coverage and on the go from one location to the next (several days min usually between travels). Fortunately starlink is a choice one can make now, that didn't exists not very long ago. Certainly it is not needed or wanted by everyone. ~CA
Old 03-07-2023, 12:42 PM   #26

Totally understand...Don't get me wrong, the convenience of the RV is well worth it. However, a couple of years ago when everyone is sitting around the fire and all I see is the top of their heads because they are buried into whatever device they have, enough was enough. I canceled our wifi access and changed what life at camp looks like.
Old 03-07-2023, 02:53 PM   #27

I get those who want to cut the cord, but for me, one of my favorite camping memories last summer was sitting around the campfire, with a big TV on the picnic table as we all huddled around and had a "drive-in movie" experience, streaming the movie with an Apple TV. It was one of those "perfect" moments in time with everyone laughing, snacking, enjoying the fire and the movie.
EricM22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 02:59 PM   #28

We do that, but with the old school LED projector and a DVD player. Totally relate with this.

I do occasionally work remotely from camp and when I do, I use my Hotspot connection through my phone. Other than that, no other paid subscription to anything for connectivity.
Old 04-28-2023, 09:54 PM   #29

Just got this email today:

Starlink Logo

Portability will no longer be an add-on option for new customers. As an active Portability customer, you will be able to continue to use the feature.

Please note: Portability will now be charged at the beginning of your billing cycle, included as part of your subscription. Previously, Portability was charged at the end of your billing cycle. As a result of this transition, your next monthly bill will be higher to include both your previous monthly charge for Portability and your upcoming Portability charge.

If you decide that you no longer need Portability, you can remove it by clicking "Manage" under the "Your Starlinks" section of your account, then clicking "Change Service Plans." Once you change your service plan, you will not be able to add Portability back.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 02:36 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
Just got this email today:

Starlink Logo

Portability will no longer be an add-on option for new customers. As an active Portability customer, you will be able to continue to use the feature.
I was reading on another site that Starlink is overwhelmed with the RVers using portability causing disruptions with fixed based customers. Also, Starlinks plan to roll out new satellites won’t be as aggressive as originally planned. I won’t be using Starlink too much longer, I only have it for the convince of using it for our road trips. I have fiber with GIG/E available at the home base for 1/3rd cost of Starlink. My thought, they will loose a ton of customers and be forced to bring back portability.
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 09:22 AM   #31

Starlink v. Amazon

I am preparing to embark as a full timer and have been reading up on Starlink. Not sure exactly what the portability is other than it sounds like something I would have wanted. Some articles that I have read mentioned that Amazon is preparing to release there version of a similar system within the next six months. Articles also suggest that it would be at a better price point than Starlink with similar capabilities.
Old 04-29-2023, 09:47 AM   #32

Portability simply allows you to move your setup as needed (portable), otherwise they require you keep your setup at one location to better control bandwidth for the system. Starlink for RV's is similar to having the portability option however the speeds are deprioritized even when\if you keep the setup at one location.

My thoughts, if you are always RV'ing where you have cell phone coverage then a cell provider's hotspot service may be all one needs. Otherwise, and if one really needs internet, then I am not aware of any other good choice other than Starlink. While Amazon plans to move forward with their service, I suspect that it will be years away from being available to the general public. It took Starlink 2 or 3 years after they started launching satellites (if I remember correctly) before their service was made available to the general public and Starlink has their own launch rockets. I don't see how Amazon will be able to launch their satellites as cost efficiently, perhaps they will contract the launches under SpaceX (Elon Musk). In any case, I suspect Amazon's satellite internet service will be years away if ever. ~CA
Old 04-29-2023, 10:28 AM   #33

Thank you for the info. See attached article I just found about Amazon.

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sc...es-2023-03-14/
Old 04-29-2023, 02:25 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
I don't see how Amazon will be able to launch their satellites as cost efficiently, perhaps they will contract the launches under SpaceX (Elon Musk). In any case, I suspect Amazon's satellite internet service will be years away if ever. ~CA
Me too. Regardless of "positioning" articles coming out. Amazon has to publish progress for a few reasons.

I'm not rooting against them; on the contrary I'm all for giving Elon the competition. If / when Jeff gets those satellites up, I'll look at that option too. But for now, Starlink has a multi-year jump. And like you said, I'm betting no one can toss 'em up there for less money.
Old 04-29-2023, 02:45 PM   #35

If VERIZON and T MOBILE get their nationwide systems all working, their Home Internet should be portable since it is a phone number modem. I have a Chrome Book that operates anywhere I have a Verizon Signal.
Old 04-29-2023, 04:20 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
Me too. Regardless of "positioning" articles coming out. Amazon has to publish progress for a few reasons.

I'm not rooting against them; on the contrary I'm all for giving Elon the competition. If / when Jeff gets those satellites up, I'll look at that option too. But for now, Starlink has a multi-year jump. And like you said, I'm betting no one can toss 'em up there for less money.
Neither am I but Amazon (& others) are so far behind, and there are not enough 'Spare' rockets available in the interim. Elon is not slowing down, he is now sending up his Starlink V2 Mini Satellites. they are bigger than the last version so he can only get approx. 21 on a Falcon 9 rocket. The older Satellites could fit 58 to 61 onboard. This V2 Mini is just a smaller version of his newer V2 which will be more powerful, larger & be able to communicate between each other by Lazer. This will cut down latency as there will not be any reason to bounce off of Earth stations. Elon is waiting on his StarShip to be functional and then will send up the full-size Version 2

Also do not forget the Starlink/T-mobile plan to deliver space-to-ground service to mobile phones in areas not covered by T-Mobile's cellular network. This will be gamechanger as if you are out of Cell signal range you will connect to a low Earth satellite thru Starlink. They are planning testing later this year, first with Text Messaging.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...o-smartphones/

015 Ford F250 Lariat SD
2015 Jayco WhiteHawk 27DSRL (Sold)
2017 KZ Durango D281RLT.
RSerendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 08:44 PM   #37

Starlink is truly confused... Now i get this in my email today... Looks like they are bringing Portability back
Good news! Your Starlink subscription will remain unlimited and will no longer be deprioritized after 1 TB of data use.

We’ve updated our Terms and Conditions to reflect this change. See the Starlink Fair Use policy to learn how we manage our network for the benefit of all customers.

We’ve also introduced the ability to easily change your service plan on your account portal or the Starlink app. There are four types of service plans available:

Standard for typical household use (your current service plan)
Priority for businesses and other high demand users (visit Business for more info)
Mobile for portable land use, such as RVs and camping (visit Roam for more info)
Mobile Priority for maritime, in-motion, and high demand mobile use (visit Maritime or Mobility for more info)

Learn more about the Starlink service plans here.
Old 05-02-2023, 09:13 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkelli View Post
Starlink is truly confused... Now i get this in my email today... Looks like they are bringing Portability back
Good news! Your Starlink subscription will remain unlimited and will no longer be deprioritized after 1 TB of data use.

We’ve updated our Terms and Conditions to reflect this change. See the Starlink Fair Use policy to learn how we manage our network for the benefit of all customers.

We’ve also introduced the ability to easily change your service plan on your account portal or the Starlink app. There are four types of service plans available:

Standard for typical household use (your current service plan)
Priority for businesses and other high demand users (visit Business for more info)
Mobile for portable land use, such as RVs and camping (visit Roam for more info)
Mobile Priority for maritime, in-motion, and high demand mobile use (visit Maritime or Mobility for more info)

Learn more about the Starlink service plans here.
I guess Elon is an idiot-savant. Or a savant-idiot.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 09:22 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkelli View Post
I have fiber with GIG/E available at the home base for 1/3rd cost of Starlink. My thought, they will loose a ton of customers and be forced to bring back portability.
Please share with the rest of us who is providing Gig-e fiber for 1/3 of our $130/month Starlink. I am interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
My thoughts, if you are always RV'ing where you have cell phone coverage then a cell provider's hotspot service may be all one needs. Otherwise, and if one really needs internet, then I am not aware of any other good choice other than Starlink.
LIKE Grumpy states below... IF Verizon or ATT or T-mo can get a signal more than a mile from the outskirts of town (we all know that they don't) - then there would be no reason for Starlink to exist. But the reality is that there are lots of big mountains between 'us and the big cell companies that make Starlink a viable option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
If VERIZON and T MOBILE get their nationwide systems all working, their Home Internet should be portable since it is a phone number modem. I have a Chrome Book that operates anywhere I have a Verizon Signal.
""IF"" they get a signal is the keyword. There are no places that their Home Internet works, that their mobile phones do not work... which is a large portion of the Western United States.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 09:52 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerBill View Post
I guess Elon is an idiot-savant. Or a savant-idiot.
Or a brilliant idiot.. either way, he does have a reputation of doing whacky things