Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-26-2018, 03:04 PM   #1

state title/registration argument

my state(nc) refuses to title my 2018 greyhawk as a 2018 because the chassis was built in 2017(and designated as such in the vin#).

has anyone had this problem in their state and if so what was the resolution?

thanks in advance.
charley patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 03:23 PM   #2

Some states do it that way. Not sure if you have any alternative. Your dealer should have known that going in.
Old 05-26-2018, 03:51 PM   #3

Sorry to tell you this but you are SOL! It will be titled as whatever year chassis you have. And I'm speaking from experience as we have already gone that round with NCDMV. There is no resolution except accept it for what it is. The dealer may have known this but failed to disclose what the title would list as the year model which is based upon the VIN.
1955farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 04:07 PM   #4

I would just be sure to keep your bill of sale listing the year JAYCO produced the house.
Old 05-26-2018, 04:54 PM   #5

You're not going to sway the state from their decision - I work with them often and what they say goes.
As mentioned save your paperwork from the dealer showing it listed and sold as a 2018 and maybe it will help in resale - then again, maybe not.

ROOF REPLACEMENT

PARTIAL FLOOR REPLACEMENT
Scott91370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 08:41 PM   #6

The VIN for the win. The VIN incorporates the year of make, not the year of assembly. A state's motor vehicle department will always base a vehicle (or trailer) year on the 10th digit of the VIN. The VIN has the year "built" into it in the 10th digit.

This is from popyachts.com...

"The RV VIN is very similar to a typical towable trailer VIN. The last six digits represent the serial number of that particular RV and the tenth character of the VIN indicates the model year. The first three characters identify the manufacturer; (1UJ) In this example the manufacturer of the towable trailer is Jayco."

Recent VIN year digits are...

2016 - G
2017 - H
2018 - J
2019 - K

It's just Jayco using up its left over parts from the previous year. Sort of like of when I got 2008 tires on my 2010 pop-up. However, when it involves a VIN, the VIN wins and dictates the year of the trailer (unlike my 2008 tires in the scenario above).

Jerry
(retired state trooper)

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 08:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36fire412 View Post

It's just Jayco using up its left over parts from the previous year.
Jerry
(retired state trooper)
It's quite common for a MH chassis to be from a previous model year since they are sold as an incomplete chassis as they are ordered in mass. They are not left over parts.

Many states title them based on the year of production for the house, not by chassis year. Ohio for one.

FORD actually includes a special form for the RV dealer to fill out for warranty since theoretically JAYCO was the original owner and the warranty would have started the day they took.delivery.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 09:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
It's quite common for a MH chassis to be from a previous model year since they are sold as an incomplete chassis as they are ordered in mass. They are not left over parts.

Many states title them based on the year of production for the house, not by chassis year. Ohio for one.

FORD actually includes a special form for the RV dealer to fill out for warranty since theoretically JAYCO was the original owner and the warranty would have started the day they took.delivery.
Thanks for the clarification Grumpy. It makes more sense. This would allow better flexibility with manufacturers of parts with a VIN to assign their use for the intended year rather than year of production.

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 11:54 PM   #9

I had a redneck brother-in-law who built a 72 Chevy Camaro on a 76 GMC Jimmy 4wd chassis! Yep, his registration/title was just that, a 76 Jimmy, even though it looked like a jacked up 4wd Chevy Camaro. Registration/title follow the chassis.

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 05:40 PM   #10

Exactly. Our first RV was a MH. The chassis was TWO years prior to MH final assembly. It was registered as two years older than the date it was assembled.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 07:33 PM   #11

If you Bing search "Split year rvs", and click on the .pdf "Service tips - RVs, Motorhomes,
Recreational...". The RVIA describes in a press release the how, why, and the legal requirements for a split model year rv. They also provide assistance for obstinate MV personel.

Might be a good idea to add this document as a sticky.