Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-30-2021, 11:44 AM   #1

Status of RV when parked in driveway

We live In Florida and just (several weeks ago) bought a Jayco 28BHS. We used to have a Fiat 500e (son owns now) which charged in the garage. I extended the 40 amp outside the garage door and put an outlet outside. I plug the RV into it when he’s not here charging. So my question is for you all that have shore power at home what state do you leave you unit in? I have the tstat set @ 78 in auto so in Florida that means the unit runs a decent bit. Do you all think this will be an issue long term running the ac a bunch? Also I had been leaving the refrigerator on and the slide out out. Let me know if you think I will harm the RV long term.
Dthiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 01:33 PM   #2

I leave mine plugged in 100% of the time when parked. We live in Oregon, so heat isn't much of an issue. I do know the AC units on top are sealed and can run continuously without much harm. There is an added benefit to running your AC, it will dehumidify as well as keep things from melting in your heat. Might set it at 80 to save some $

The coach we have now is our first with slides. I've heard that slides don't like to be left extended for long periods of time. I've seen people who live full time in RV's use jacks to support their slides. They go out easy enough, I'd think keeping them in would be safer when not in use. As another bonus, it will be less cubic feet to cool, so it could be a wee bit cheaper on the AC budget.

On the fridge, we shut ours off when not in use. Replacing a fridge is expensive, and no reason to keep it cold if you're not using it.
Revy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 01:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revy View Post
I leave mine plugged in 100% of the time when parked. We live in Oregon, so heat isn't much of an issue. I do know the AC units on top are sealed and can run continuously without much harm. There is an added benefit to running your AC, it will dehumidify as well as keep things from melting in your heat. Might set it at 80 to save some $

The coach we have now is our first with slides. I've heard that slides don't like to be left extended for long periods of time. I've seen people who live full time in RV's use jacks to support their slides. They go out easy enough, I'd think keeping them in would be safer when not in use. As another bonus, it will be less cubic feet to cool, so it could be a wee bit cheaper on the AC budget.

On the fridge, we shut ours off when not in use. Replacing a fridge is expensive, and no reason to keep it cold if you're not using it.
Sounds like all good advice and info. Thanks
Dthiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 02:33 PM   #4

I live in Arizona where summer temps often exceed 100 degrees in summer, and can go below freezing in winter. I leave my trailer plugged in year round, with the fridge off, the AC set to 90 in the summer, the furnace set to 50 in the winter just to avoid the extreme temps. I check my batteries and propane once a month. I have been doing that for the past four years without any issues.

My slide is always in while parked.

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 02:45 PM   #5

I keep mine at a storage site about a mile from home. It's not plugged in, so the fridge and air conditioner are off. When I bring it home the night before we leave, I plug it in so the fridge will cool down. It's cold by morning. I don't have 30 amp at home, so no air conditioner. I don't have a slide, so I can't comment there. I live in the Midwest, so heat and humidity are not unknown here, but not as bad as in the South in the summer.

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 02:58 PM   #6
Site Team

Our rig is powered up all the time 30a,when under the shed 18' x 36' our yard.

We have a Dehumidifier inside that runs when we are home and is moved from the rig when we are traveling. We move slides in and out depending on weather and our needs. Fridge is off unless we are packing for a trip.

Winter we add a small floor heater as we have mild winters.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 05:55 PM   #7

Plugged in, but everything is off. No need to keep it cool up here in Canada and no sense heating it in the winter.

My slides are in most of the time, but depending on what I'm working on, I leave them out.

My unit sits in my shop (uninsulated) but it's out of the weather.
Old 06-11-2021, 02:47 PM   #8

And now that we are expecting as high as 115 over the next week and no plans to use, any recommendations for not letting the motorhome bake? I tried to find indoor short term storage, but no luck. I have 2 pails of water inside and the AC at 80, plugged into 20 amp. Anything else I should be doing to prevent baking???
Old 06-11-2021, 04:45 PM   #9

Sounds like you're ready. I cover the vent in the bathroom as well as have all the shades down. I also have maybe 2 gallons of water in all of the tanks to keep the valves from drying out. I have my AC set to 90, but may lower it a bit for next week. I also keep the refrigerator doors ajar. Make sure the water level in your batteries are topped off.

As a side note, we had reservations at Lake Havasu State Park for next week, but cancelled them when we saw it was going to be 117 with a possible 125 degrees. We were there when the record was set at 128 degrees on June 29, 1994. Won't do that again!!

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote