Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-06-2022, 05:31 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Seekonk
Posts: 170
Sticky Dump Valve Cure

Took the 26XD out last weekend for our "shake down" camping run. Everything seemed to be working as intended except that I found the gray and dump valves were very sticky, to the point of being nearly stuck closed. After dumping I added a couple of ounces of marine "'Head Lube" that I had on hand into the tanks when empty with a half gallon of water as a chaser. I also wiped the dump valve shaft with some of the lube. Worked the dump valve a little and what a difference. Smooth as silk.
__________________
Docsouce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 07:39 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
AKRUEBBE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Natalbany Creek Campground, Amite City, LA
Posts: 3,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docsouce View Post
Took the 26XD out last weekend for our "shake down" camping run. Everything seemed to be working as intended except that I found the gray and dump valves were very sticky, to the point of being nearly stuck closed. After dumping I added a couple of ounces of marine "'Head Lube" that I had on hand into the tanks when empty with a half gallon of water as a chaser. I also wiped the dump valve shaft with some of the lube. Worked the dump valve a little and what a difference. Smooth as silk.
Sounds like what I need. Can you give me the name of the product that you are labeling "Head Lube"
__________________
AL & JANET KRUEBBE
2019 PINNACLE 37RLWS
2018 NORTH POINT 315RLTS (TRADED)
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 10:01 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 936
Thanks for the post. I have the same problem. I just ordered this- what the heck, for $7 I'll give it a try before I start taking stuff apart.

I saw that Camco and others have similar products.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
__________________
Ford F250 6.2 Gas, 4X4, Short Bed, Companion Hitch
2019 Jayco 28.5 RSTS, MorRyde orbital pinbox.
Cincinnati Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 10:27 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Seekonk
Posts: 170
West Marine brand has "Head Lube" printed on it but are calling it "Toilet Lube" for some reason. I see Thetford and as mentioned Camco on Amazon is much less expensive than the West Marine product. I had this sitting on a shelf in my shop from when I had a boat a few years ago.
__________________
Docsouce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 10:52 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docsouce View Post
West Marine brand has "Head Lube" printed on it but are calling it "Toilet Lube" for some reason.
I think it's best if you do not google "Head Lube" like I just did. You might have to sanitize your browser.
__________________
Ford F250 6.2 Gas, 4X4, Short Bed, Companion Hitch
2019 Jayco 28.5 RSTS, MorRyde orbital pinbox.
Cincinnati Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 12:13 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
JimD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Inland Empire, California
Posts: 1,672
See the thread below for a simple mod to the valves. I did this a couple of years ago and have had smooth operation ever since.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...lve-80719.html
__________________
Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W
solar & many other mods
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 12:35 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: SW Missouri
Posts: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnati Kid View Post
I think it's best if you do not google "Head Lube" like I just did. You might have to sanitize your browser.
Kind of like my remodel and wanted to use metal studs, that goes awry too.
Jolvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 01:12 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Seekonk
Posts: 170
I guess we now know why West Marine has it listed as "Toilet Lube" instead of "head lube" LOL!!!!
Docsouce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 07:46 AM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: Scotland
Posts: 2
Grey water not dumping

Having a problem with grey water dumping. Valve by outlet is open. I have a 2018 Jayco flight purchased second hand. Grey water backing up in my bathtub. Help pls. I'm new to this and a female on my own.
Laurel Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 08:43 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: columbus
Posts: 164
does your unit have 2 gray tanks?? if so are you sure you opened correct valve. kitchen and bath have different tanks
rjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 10:27 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 2,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurel Smith View Post
Having a problem with grey water dumping. Valve by outlet is open. I have a 2018 Jayco flight purchased second hand. Grey water backing up in my bathtub. Help pls. I'm new to this and a female on my own.
Welcome. What model do you have? This may sound silly, but is the cap off the hose and the sewer connection clear? Is grey water flowing through the hose?
__________________
2017 JayFlight 21QB
2021 Ford F150 SCrew 3.5 Eco, 157, 3.55, Tow Pkg
TaftCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 03:44 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
ARoamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: St Johns MI
Posts: 1,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurel Smith View Post
Having a problem with grey water dumping. Valve by outlet is open. I have a 2018 Jayco flight purchased second hand. Grey water backing up in my bathtub. Help pls. I'm new to this and a female on my own.

Is gauge indicating full?
Correct valve open?
Your shower drain may be plugged?
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 12:17 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
JesseS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 652
A little mineral oil in the tank works fine, or any other light organic or food grade oil (not petroleum based) with a little water (it will float on top of the oil). I use this for storage as it keeps the gate valve lubed and free from sticking.
__________________
2016 Alante 26AY
Roadmaster Braking, BlueOX Tow Bar.
Kelderman Air Ride, Safe-T-Steer, Supersteer Trak Bar rear w/ Sumo Springs.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 12:19 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
ARoamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: St Johns MI
Posts: 1,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseS View Post
A little mineral oil in the tank works fine, or any other light organic or food grade oil (not petroleum based) with a little water (it will float on top of the oil). I use this for storage as it keeps the gate valve lubed and free from sticking.

Mineral oils are refined petroleum-based hydrocarbons
__________________
2020 Pinnacle 32rlts
640 watts solar, 300AH lithium
2020 High Country Duramax 3500
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 12:30 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
JesseS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 652
Well heck, I didn't know that, good thing I used food grade vegetable oil last time.
__________________
2016 Alante 26AY
Roadmaster Braking, BlueOX Tow Bar.
Kelderman Air Ride, Safe-T-Steer, Supersteer Trak Bar rear w/ Sumo Springs.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 12:31 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
RogerR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Mapleton
Posts: 3,813
Their is a youtube on how to lube the valves by drilling a small hole above the pull handle and spraying rubber seal lube into the valve.
I bought two stainless screws and drilled holes like the video showed. I now pull the screws out, put in a couple seconds of spray and open and closed the valve a few times to spread it out.

Works like a charm, no damage to valves. I also use the lube around the window rubber seals. I pour toilet lube into a dry(water off and drained) toilet, maybe an ounce, then open and close it a few times to spread it around and that lubes and protects my toilet flush seal.
__________________
2017 SLX 195RB
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit L 5.7L V8
Andersen WDH hitch, Renogy 100 AH Lithium &
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 12:34 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
JesseS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
Their is a youtube on how to lube the valves by drilling a small hole above the pull handle and spraying rubber seal lube into the valve.
I bought two stainless screws and drilled holes like the video showed. I now pull the screws out, put in a couple seconds of spray and open and closed the valve a few times to spread it out.

Works like a charm, no damage to valves. I also use the lube around the window rubber seals. I pour toilet lube into a dry(water off and drained) toilet, maybe an ounce, then open and close it a few times to spread it around and that lubes and protects my toilet flush seal.
Friend of mine drilled the valve body and installed a zerk fitting, one shot a year with a small cartridge grease gun with silicone grease seems to also work fine.
__________________
2016 Alante 26AY
Roadmaster Braking, BlueOX Tow Bar.
Kelderman Air Ride, Safe-T-Steer, Supersteer Trak Bar rear w/ Sumo Springs.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 07:47 PM   #18
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: Scotland
Posts: 2
Cost me 230$ to have a drain guy come and ended up talking with a guy that told me about the grey 1 tank having a seperate valve. Yes was hidden under my kitchen tipout. Did I feel dumb.
Thanks for your nfo though. Much appreciated. Owners manuals suck
Laurel Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Jayco, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.