Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-25-2022, 10:20 AM   #1

Still a crazy RV market

So we sold our 2016 Jayfeather X20E yesterday. I put it up for sale both here and the FB Marketplace last Monday morning, 4/18. I wasn't sure what to expect.

A little background, Camping World made me an offer 4 weeks ago that I thought was OK, but they wanted me to leave it at a maintenance facility for 3 or 4 days, 45 minutes away to inspect it. Then they would finalize the offer. Who knows what would have happened to it there. I did not call them back. 2 weeks later they raised the offer by $2k. The sales person kept trying to call but did not leave a message. Thank you CW for helping me understand what it's really worth! And how hot the market STILL is.

I had 11 people ask about it. One offered half of what I was asking in an IM. I never responded. Then then she raised it by $1k. People are really funny.

5 asked to see it, so I started taking them in order. The first one couldn't make the appointment, they are 2 hours away, but to his credit he did let me know.

The second one was 4 hours away in another state. Not only did they show up, they gave us the asking price. We're very happy that a really nice young family got it. So we sold it in 7 days to the first family that actually looked at it. They had been in the market since Sept 2021 but all they looked at was expensive junk with roof or floor issues.

Bittersweet to see it go though. Lots of great memories with that trailer. It was sad to see someone else towing it away. We'll miss some aspects of camping, but not the prep work and setup/teardown.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 10:42 AM   #2

I think are 2015 Eagle has increases in value, may sell for smaller camper!
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 11:00 AM   #3

Your 2016 Jayfeather X20E might be gone but like you said the great memories will always be there.
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 11:38 AM   #4

Our first "camper" (used to do camping in a tent, then moved to a VW Westfalia, then to a TT...a Jayco Featherlite 16. Liked it, but keeping the pop out sides was a pain to keep clean (white), and the sides started to pull away from the molding, creating gaps and water leaks. The stairs pulled away from the floor as well.

Good memories yes, but when we got our used class C, we fell in love with it.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 12:59 PM   #5

Neighbor just sold a 2019 Class C, not JAYCO ($78,000) in one day to someone in MN and we're in FL. Fellow called, did the deal over the phone, flew down with a cashier's check and drove N.
Old 04-25-2022, 03:09 PM   #6
Site Team

Doc, congratulation on selling your trailer. It may be gone, but they didn't get your experience and sage advice, and we're still going to be here!

(Pretty profound, huh?)

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 03:21 PM   #7

Just had a fella from Texas buy a truck from us. Drove here. 1500 miles...for a truck.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 06:31 PM   #8

I think the truck market in st louis is much crazier than the rv market. 16k over sticker, call it a market rate adjustment.
Old and soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 03:24 AM   #9

Selling salt free trucks in the south to buyers from the north has always been in demand. The salted roads and winters make northern trucks rust out in a few short years. The northerners will buy up clean, rust free trucks in the south all the time.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 12:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
Doc, congratulation on selling your trailer. It may be gone, but they didn't get your experience and sage advice, and we're still going to be here!

(Pretty profound, huh?)
I sort of did actually. We spent 3 hours with them going over as much as I could think of, and answering questions. He even asked for any tips I could offer. They're coming from tenting. He really impressed me. He asked in IMs about the roof and floor and a couple of other things. When he was here he told me he's been reading as much as he could. Even went and bought a Fastway E2 after calling Etrailer and asking what he should have. So I know he's thinking about his family's safety (3 girls). All that made me feel really good about who was getting the trailer.
Old 04-26-2022, 01:43 PM   #11

I've enjoyed reading your posts over the years Doc. Glad you had a pleasant exit from the hobby; maybe we'll see you back.

I tried to get out a few years ago, but found I got bored and ended up back in the money pit !

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 12:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
I've enjoyed reading your posts over the years Doc. Glad you had a pleasant exit from the hobby; maybe we'll see you back.

I tried to get out a few years ago, but found I got bored and ended up back in the money pit !
Thank you! I've never found it a money pit so much as more of a burden to get it ready every year, then setup when arriving, teardown, etc. For us it was less of a hobby and more of a part of our lives. A friend said to me when I told him we decided not to camp anymore, "that's part of your family!". Yeah, he was right. Not sure we have the stamina to get back into it, but who knows how we'll feel when I retire.
Old 04-30-2022, 12:54 PM   #13

Camping world offered us 78,000 via email ?? for our 2019 Jayco 29MV we said thank you but no. Glad to hear its worth more
Sunshine67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 02:38 PM   #14
Site Team

DocBrown: Thanks for your input and please stick around as this is one way you can feel like you are not to far away from camping.

I hope you told the new owner that we are just a click away!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 02:43 PM   #15

Thinking of downsizing

We’re ( me really) are thinking of downsizing our bunk house. Kids are grown, wife and I would like something with a more entertainment style. Recliners, fireplace, etc.
The only thing wrong with ours is the pleather is flaking off of the cushions. We have seat covers on them for the time being. We only use it three/four times a year. ( zero use in Covid years ). Stays in a covered storage. Just replaced the wheel bearings and upgraded to 10 ply tires.
Curious what the going rate on a 2015 Jayco White Hawk 33BHBS would go for nowadays.
Bsikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 02:43 PM   #16

Glad you got a good deal and pleased with where it went. I'm getting old enough I might should get out but no plans to do so. I'm different that most on here. About 80% of out motorhome use is towing out racecar around the country to race. Other racers are our campground friends. Most of the people we race with have motorhomes for tow vehicles and we spend 5 days together at each race. Sometime we will add a side trip to visit family or site seeing. Most people my age would not be racing cars, but when you are addicted hard to give it up. Wife and I also run 5k and 1/2 Marathons another crazy deal for someone 75+.
gymracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 06:00 PM   #17

Question Rv sales

On what sites are everyone using to sell their RV? We are in the process of trading our 2018 Jayco 30XP. We got a decent price, but we were told by others to never trade it. They told us to sell out right. We still have a few months until the new RV will be ready.

"People will forget what you did or what you said, but they will never forget how you made them feel" ! Maya Angelou
Bonnshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 06:22 AM   #18

We used FB marketplace. But be prepared for the onslaught
Debby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 06:28 AM   #19

We had a 2000 class c in great condition. Decided it was time sell as we didn’t see ourselves RV traveling anytime soon. Looked up the book value & priced it at that for bargaining wiggle room. Listed on FB marketplace. 50 inquiries, 20 low ballers, 10 showings, out of state offers sight unseen. Instate couple showed up with cash and $500 over asking. Done! Great memories and happy to give it a new life.
Debby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 09:17 AM   #20

The market for everything is crazy right now. We sold out 5th wheel to family while we wait (over 6 months) for our new Class A to get here. They sold their TT in two days, full asking. Last week I sold my 17 F350 back to the the original dealer for more than I paid for it 5 years ago.
Justafordguy is offline   Reply With Quote