Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-09-2014, 09:20 AM   #11

I like the idea if of calling Jayco so they can flag it as stolen. Don’t know if they have a way to due such, but a great idea.

Keep an eye out on craigslist, but do a global search, as the perp may have driven it a fair distance to sell it. Here is what I entered in Google “jayco jayfeather 23b site www.craigslist.org”. One popped up in OH immediately. You may need to try a few different word combinations. Also any distinguishing marks, yours from another. If you are out and about looking for it as see one you think is yours, there is a hidden vin number under the unit. On my 2012, it is located curbside near the rear bumper, attached to the wood flooring. You have to be under the unit almost working on the black tank to see it. However it is fairly large, It is white would guess about 1” tall and 6-8” long. I bet most people do not know that that number is there. I found it when sealing up (mouse proofing) electrical ground penetrations.

I have heard of a few being stolen over the years but not many. More often I hear of cargo trailers disappearing. My HTT sits on the city street all summer when not in use. To help discourage it’s theft I have a really good quality tong lock, and two X-Chock type devices that can be paddle locked.

Best of luck.

Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:34 AM   #12
Site Team

Welcome to the forum and also sorry for your loss. Looks like our members have provided some useful info as usual.

Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:41 AM   #13

Welcome to the forum. SUcks that your trailer was stolen but reality is someone is probably using it as a camp in the woods somewhere already. There is always a market for stolen items.....it's the sad reality. As mentioned above I hope your insurance covers your loss.
232,500 kms in 2013
200,000 kms in 2014
160,000 kms in 2015
greenenvy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:26 AM   #14

Thank you all for your responses. It was insured, though once deductible is applied I'm hoping the pay off will at least cover the existing note. I don't know quite yet how they determine the value. If they take the full MSRP then we're golden, if they take the average high end then we're probably about even, if they take the lower end value we'll be paying on a camper we don't have for a while.

It was almost fully packed. When we came back from our last NASCAR trip in October I pulled our grill and generator out so they wouldn't leak any fluids, but other than that left all our other gear inside. I guess the contents are covered under our homeowners policy from my understanding but that is a 2nd claim and a 2nd deductible that has to be met before they pay out on that portion. Some of the contents like one person said wasn't so the much a monetary value but more sentimental and also all those little things you slowly collect over the years that make your camper yours and makes it feel like home.

If it shows up on any craigslist or RV Trader or anything I can immediately identify it from 1 picture of the interior because it had had some work done and things put in it that no other stock 23B had in it but that only helps if it pops up for sale somewhere. Just a little tip from the police, the average tongue locks you would get at say a Lowes or Home Depot are only good for deterring a opportunist thief. The officer told me that if they have even a clue what they are doing they can remove one in less than 30 seconds. He suggested going with some type of wheel lock or boot type locking system that attaches to the wheel and or axles. He said even those are not 100% as nothing is really but he said that thieves will pass one of those by for one with a tongue lock or no lock at all. Anyway thanks again for the info I appreciate it.
dketter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:36 PM   #15

I was wondering about the tongue type locks, but I think you are right if they want it bad enough nothing will keep them at bay.
slabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:12 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by slabat View Post
I was wondering about the tongue type locks, but I think you are right if they want it bad enough nothing will keep them at bay.
I agree.

I took an old 2 5/16" hitch ball, torched off the threads, and placed the ball my locked coupler. I use this type of coupler lock:

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (integrated sway control)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:42 PM   #17

I pull the emergency breakaway switch key and cable....with any luck, the trailer and get-away vehicle will catch fire from the burning brakes and skidding trailer tires. If it's going to be a loss, I'd rather it be a total loss

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:47 PM   #18

I am very sorry to hear about your loss.

In my oppinion, you won't it back. All the stolen trailers I have heard of seem to be truned into a Meth lab, hunting camp, or some type of bunk house in the oil fields. I doubt this trailer ever sees a campgound again.

As for insurance, unless you have a specific valuation method identified in your policy you are entitled to "replacement value". That valuation is entirely up to the adjuster and adjusters are typically compasionate and don't try to screw the insured unless said insured is rude and unreasonable.

Secondly, some policies provide for contents on top of TT value, others don't. If your's doesn't you Homeowners or renters policy will cover lost contents. I suggest you start creating a list of contents that were in the trailer.

I am sorry for your loss -- and I wish you the best of luck.
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 02:08 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBraddy View Post
Sorry for your losses - I hear the druggies like the batteries, the propane tanks, and the small trailers for mobile meth labs...

I doubt if another camper stole your camper... I have found over the years that most campers really look out for each other...

Roy ken
I think you are right Roy.

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:42 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
I agree.

I took an old 2 5/16" hitch ball, torched off the threads, and placed the ball my locked coupler. I use this type of coupler lock:

Rustic Eagle, your locking method is one of those that takes less than a minute to bypass. A 4 foot bolt cutter, a cordless sawzall, a cordless angle grinder will do it quickly. Even a cordless drill with the right bit will have it in no time. A small portable oxy acetylene torch is quick too, with no sound.

Here is a picture similar to tongue lock to what I have. What makes it hard for me to unlock (key hole is on the underside) also makes it hard for the perp to drill it out.

Name:  Tongue Lock.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  14.2 KB

Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote