Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-11-2015, 11:14 AM   #1

Storing Your Trailer Away From Home

Just wondering what to look for in a storage facility. How essential is it to have a place that has a dump station and wash rack?

As far as security I am liking places that have gate codes and security cameras.

I live in SoCal, so prices I'm finding are around $150/mo locally and less the further away from home I go. How often do you visit your trailer when not camping? Do you recommend going monthly to run the systems? Do you need to move trailer a few inches regularly for the tires?

Any tips and suggestions welcome.
Country_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 11:29 AM   #2

Fenced and gated is always a plus. Unattended access is a must.

I check on my every 3-4 weeks when in storage, but our lot manager will also call or email if there are any conerns or recent heavy storms.

I don't move my trailer, but I did lay down plywood runways for the wheels/ tires.

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 12:34 PM   #3

We live in southern Ca too, it's hard to find a good storage yard. We went through 3. I hated having to use a storage yard. The first place someone stole our tire covers. The second place someone took my assigned spot (because it was a corner spot), and refused to move it. The third place someone stole my outside shower head and the stinky slinky! I wouldn't even leave anything of value inside (tweekers will even steal the crappy tv's and dvd combo systems that come with these rigs). I'd check on it at least once a month. There wont be anything to run since (hopefully) you'll be taking your batteries out. Don't store any food or water in the RV, you'd be asking for trouble.

I'd look for a place that had dogs, and a live-in-gaurd. No way would I go somewhere without a fence or that wasn't paved. Dirt will dry out your tires in a year. Make sure there is a electronic gate so you can come and go as you please.

We moved to Cherry Valley so that we'd have some space for our RV. Good luck and take everything not bolted down tight off before you leave it there.

Regards,
JP
2007 20BH Jayco JayFlight
2009 F150 5.4L SCrew Cab XLT
JPBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 12:36 PM   #4

A dump stations is great to have - if you're leaving the GC and the dump station is lined up, we'll just wait till we get back to the lot - never had to wait more than 5 min there. I check on mine every couple of months over the winter, or after a big storm if there's been any hail. I don't move it over the winter and use it regularly enough in the summer not to worry as well. We pay $60 a month or so, but lots of open land around here to competition is fairly high.
Old 04-11-2015, 12:36 PM   #5

Depending on the size of your rv, manuvering room. Locked, gated and 24/7 access. Be aware of the places that DON'T ask for information. What I mean is, if they don't ask for the tag# or copy of your license or just other pertinent information. A friend of mine kept his at a "outdoor storage" lot. Had alot of rv's in it and looked respectable. Until it was vanadalized. The owner of the lot assumed NO responsibility. Said it wasn't his problem. Lesson learned. Pay more money. Get what you pay for.
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 01:43 PM   #6

Stinky slinky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPBeck View Post
We live in southern Ca too, it's hard to find a good storage yard. We went through 3. I hated having to use a storage yard. The first place someone stole our tire covers. The second place someone took my assigned spot (because it was a corner spot), and refused to move it. The third place someone stole my outside shower head and the stinky slinky! I wouldn't even leave anything of value inside (tweekers will even steal the crappy tv's and dvd combo systems that come with these rigs). I'd check on it at least once a month. There wont be anything to run since (hopefully) you'll be taking your batteries out. Don't store any food or water in the RV, you'd be asking for trouble.

I'd look for a place that had dogs, and a live-in-gaurd. No way would I go somewhere without a fence or that wasn't paved. Dirt will dry out your tires in a year. Make sure there is a electronic gate so you can come and go as you please.

We moved to Cherry Valley so that we'd have some space for our RV. Good luck and take everything not bolted down tight off before you leave it there.
"Stinky Slinky". . I'm going to use that now!!

In the Texas area prices are usually $75-$100 for covered storage spaces. $40 uncovered and left out to the elements.
Our storage facility has security cameras, VIN number and LP number are documented as well as driver's license, 24 hour gate access and security lighting at night.

As far as how often I check on my TT?!? Since it's only 4 miles away, it's hard for me NOT to check on it daily as I drive by for work. And the fact that we got it in March, 2015. Good luck!!
Equil-I-Zer WDH

Bsikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 02:20 PM   #7

Stinky Slinky -- My kids made that up.

Regards,
JP
2007 20BH Jayco JayFlight
2009 F150 5.4L SCrew Cab XLT
JPBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 05:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPBeck View Post
Stinky Slinky -- My kids made that up.
It's a good one. I think my kids (and husband) will get a kick out of it!
Country_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 08:17 PM   #9

I'll have to remember that stinky slinky thing, lol
fielro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 05:14 AM   #10

We've moved our TT to two different locations in Central Florida; the first one was too far from our home (our home owners org does not allow overnight TT's at the house), and the second one had gated entrance, but the gate was always wide open when we would drive by or come to inspect. When I asked about that at the front desk, the lady stated that the gate was broken, and too costly to repair! We promptly removed the camper and went a few miles down the road to the next.

Prices in Central Florida range from $90.00 to $100.00 for gated/camera security. Covered are few, and will cost more.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
orange county, storing trailer