Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-14-2015, 06:42 PM   #1

Stowing a Wet Awning

We boondock camp on private property on weekends. The trailer is permanently set up. We had a metal frame attached to our old camper, and attached a tarp to it for the entire summer. We usually got 2 years service on a silver tarp.

Our new Jayco is equipped with a real awning. At times, when we leave on Sunday night, it may have rained and the awning is wet. Before, it didn't matter since it was up all the time. Now, I don't want the awning to stay exposed to the sun and dirt (and potential high winds) while we are gone, but I'm also leery about rolling it up wet, when we might not be back for a couple of weeks.

What to do?
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 07:01 PM   #2

Since your absences are only a couple of weeks, don't worry to much about it. When you come back to it and open it up; 1) if its dry and warm/hot, it will dry out quickly and any mold (if any started in a short couple week time) will dry and die off. 2) if it becomes wet and rainy, then consider it natures wash job since the awning is open. 3) finally, there are products out there which will not break the pocket book that are designed for cleaning awnings. (you mention you boondock camp, but since you leave the TT is set up all the time, you must have a water source.) Give it a couple cleanings throughout the season, and/or a good thorough cleaning before you close it up for the winter.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 05:43 AM   #3

Thanks for the info. Our water source is in a city park 12 miles away. We use jerry jugs to transport it.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 06:28 AM   #4

I would not leave it open. Eventually high winds will undoubtedly damage it. Plus I (and others) have found that even when you roll it up dry, when it is opened again a few weeks or a month later, it will be all wet anyway. No-one seems to be certain how this happens, but it does. Unfortunately ours always has some level of mildew smell to it, except right after I clean it, which is difficult to do if you don't have running water.
BrentB is offline   Reply With Quote