Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-22-2022, 06:14 AM   #1

Stuck Entrance Door

We just bought a new Jayco Jay flight 212QBW at the end of are buying one more last look before we left the dealer the door was locked asked the salesman did you lock the door said no. Several days later on the walk through the door seemed to stick they told the wife just pull hard and slam it. Now home the wife said I can’t get the door open I pulled I thought the lock was jammed it wasn’t I had to carefully pry it open. I removed the strike plate and it still sticks filed down some rough edges still no luck. Should the strike plate be set into the frame? The dealer is two hrs away and I have a funny feeling they would take it around back and they would hit the jam with a sledge hammer while we waited up front in the show room. No problem simple adjustment.
Any idea’s on how to fix the problem added a photo new to the forum may not attach.
Attached Thumbnails
58459E4A-E4EB-4FEE-97A9-5E0787B27E63.jpg  
Gary207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 07:26 PM   #2

The door frame may be bowed in the middle towards the hinge leaving insufficient clearance. That would require repositioning all or part of the frame, removing caulk, etc. That can be a bit of work. Another possibility is the strike plate might need to be moved out slightly. Look at where the door frame and door meet as it is closing--is there enough clearance, or is it binding at that point?
Old 05-22-2022, 07:57 PM   #3
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary207 View Post
We just bought a new Jayco Jay flight 212QBW at the end of are buying one more last look before we left the dealer the door was locked asked the salesman did you lock the door said no. Several days later on the walk through the door seemed to stick they told the wife just pull hard and slam it. Now home the wife said I can’t get the door open I pulled I thought the lock was jammed it wasn’t I had to carefully pry it open. I removed the strike plate and it still sticks filed down some rough edges still no luck. Should the strike plate be set into the frame? The dealer is two hrs away and I have a funny feeling they would take it around back and they would hit the jam with a sledge hammer while we waited up front in the show room. No problem simple adjustment.
Any idea’s on how to fix the problem added a photo new to the forum may not attach.
Ordinarily the door is sticking on the striker plate, but since you removed the striker plate and the door is still sticking it indicates there may be a problem on the hinge side and/or the door is out of square. If it's out of square it will be making contact either at the top or bottom opposite the hinge side.Those doors are jig built and should have been installed on a level floor. Sometimes if the unit is severely down or up by the front, the door may act up. Make sure the hinge side is secure first, if push comes to shove you or the dealer may be forced to remove and reset the door but make absolutely sure the floor is longitudinally level and the door frame is perfectly square.
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 03:33 AM   #4

Quote:
... Several days later on the walk through the door seemed to stick they told the wife just pull hard and slam it. ....
I NEVER would have accepted that answer and took ownership of the RV.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 04:14 AM   #5

No sure what kind of steps you have but if they are the type that fold into the camper the door may be binding on them. Lowering the leveling legs a bit solved the problem for us.
Forester2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 04:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forester2 View Post
No sure what kind of steps you have but if they are the type that fold into the camper the door may be binding on them. Lowering the leveling legs a bit solved the problem for us.
X2, I also have to adjust the leveling jacks.
Old 05-23-2022, 06:25 AM   #7

the front door locked by its self this is the third time this has happened 2018 alante 27a
msaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 07:29 AM   #8

Try Re-Positioning the Unit

Quote:
I broke the door latch on my class C bc the door was stuck. It tends to stick if the rig is not level one way or another. If the frame is not sitting properly on the leveling system it could cause the door to stick. My door opens fine most of the time. Just a suggestion...
NjNewbie30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 09:26 AM   #9

Welcome aboard!

One more thing to check, this happened to us. If the internal handle latch is locked (not the deadbolt) from the inside, and then the door is closed, you cannot unlock the door from the outside, and it appears to be sticking. The key turns and looks like it should unlock, but it does not!

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 12:17 PM   #10

The problems

First thanks to all for the help. The unit is in the street in front of my house slight out of level leveled it up no difference. The C picture hinge side even gap the B picture handle side top has a gap at C no gap.
Attached Thumbnails
363C2BDF-29BA-4159-AC10-D29FF831659F.jpg   F13C437F-8DC2-4645-A090-2A901B0B0C5A.jpg   906E5EF1-1B70-432A-AC1E-FB97E6271E5E.jpg  
Old 05-23-2022, 12:29 PM   #11

Door jam parts

A is the factory strike with an offset with the factory screw. B is one I made to get rid of the offset waste of time. Factory screen door latch the door stuck on this after I made a thinner strike. I made a thinner screen door latch. You can see on the cardboard the height of the factory screw and the ones I used I even had to file the head down on one.
Attached Thumbnails
86294B43-3559-4772-AA8A-CB3DCF90A194.jpg   0A7B651F-8782-4EBF-AFF5-3D8E629B30AC.jpg  
Old 05-23-2022, 12:49 PM   #12

Final outcome to get it to work.

Not a great job but it works it just drags a little at the blue tape.
The day we were looking at the trailer as soon we got through looking at one and looking at another when we came out they put a sold sign on the previous one we looked at that happened three times the salesmen said are you going to buy one today. I got the impression if not he was done with us. I the final walk through my wife pointed out problems the answer was that is the way it is same as the salesmen. Other problems at the pickup time I save them for another post. Again thanks for all the input and help. I did catch hxll for the scratches from my wifeI will hit them with a black marking pen.
Attached Thumbnails
1F27C941-DBA5-48FD-9258-037A8AF3981E.jpg   79EC214B-605E-437D-88D8-6EB297504E58.jpg  
Old 05-23-2022, 07:24 PM   #13

The strike plate is to far out towards the front of the trailer that is one of the things that is binding the door.
Old 05-23-2022, 07:25 PM   #14

Sounds like it would be a good idea to hide a key.
Old 05-23-2022, 07:29 PM   #15

If your on the road to me you should be able to pull over and open the door no mater what position the trailer is in. I don’t see how the door frame would change positions.
Old 06-01-2022, 07:55 PM   #16

Quote:
If your on the road to me you should be able to pull over and open the door no mater what position the trailer is in. I don’t see how the door frame would change positions.
We had a TT where the door would bind if it was just sitting there supported by the tires and tongue jack or when hitched to the truck. The door would open properly only after deploying the rear stabilizer jacks. The trailer frame flexed a bit and you could see the door moving inside the frame as the jacks picked up some of the trailer weight. IMO, the trailer frame was under sized for the amount of weight it was carrying. It wasn't broken or cracked, just "flexible". So.....thats how the door frame can change positions.
cmikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 04:34 AM   #17

Send a message via AIM to jaycojay Send a message via MSN to jaycojay
With my last Jayflight, sitting in the driveway, the afternoon sun would shine on door side, and i would not be able to open the door, it was fine any other time. Don't laugh here, but one day i needed to get something out of the trailer, door was stuck, so i took the hose and sprayed cold water on it, than i was able to open it. I'm in Ontario, i could just imagine the sun in the lower states... no way in!
Old 06-02-2022, 07:35 PM   #18

I agree with cmikal on the frame. I was going to add about the heat cool morning it opens good after noon sun it sticks just like Jayco Jay said. I think I have figured out the problem I wii make a diagram and post it later.
Old 06-03-2022, 12:49 PM   #19

Stuck door

The door frame at the latch is not square may be the wall opening is not square. Looks there is a plastic cap on the door frame with screws under to fasten the frame to the wall just a guess.
Attached Thumbnails
75F9B519-09B4-4384-9F01-60FD9C437FC3.jpg  
Old 06-09-2022, 09:16 AM   #20

I have the same model as you. This happened to us on our first trip; I think everything settled and shifted a bit. It did it boondocking and while it was sitting level on the concrete floor of our RV garage.

I could see scratch marks on the door edge where it was getting hung up on the frame.

One hang up spot was the round head on the bottom of the striker plate. I removed that and put in flat head screws that sit more flush. That solved the first problem.

The second problem was at the bottom edge of the door there is a hex head bolt sticking it and that head was sticking on the frame. That's a specialized bolt that I couldn't easily replace. I could see where the head was scraping along the frame. So I took a flat head punch and a hammer and lightly tapped on the frame creating a slight slot or channel along the scrape mark. That head no longer touches the frame.

Door opens and closes easily now.
66lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote