Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-17-2015, 03:55 PM   #1

Stuff

It just seems like I'm unloading just as much as I pack for an outing (soda, water bottles, ect.). I guess I need to use my dads advise. Pack what you need and buy what you don't when you get there.
Although this last campout, it seems I forgot to pack a few clothing items and had to make a trip to the nearby Wally World. I needed new cargo shorts anyway.
lodiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 04:23 PM   #2

If I don't have something with me I tend to do without it. Last month I forgot my swimming trunks (hadn't needed them in awhile).
Old 05-17-2015, 04:25 PM   #3

Every place you go is different on what you will need. We have our basic items that stays with the trailer and the rest is play by ear I guess haha... Always nice to know where the closest WALMART and LOWES stores are located.

Thats kinda the fun of camping for us making sure we have what we need...

I saw one guy doing a list of all he had on board. Had a spread sheet and was actually counting nuts and bolts he had stowed away haha... He unloaded his whole cache of STUFF and checked it off his spreadsheet list.

Give him something interesting to do I reckon.

Roy Ken

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 07:23 PM   #4

A few years ago I packed everything for the annual camping / fishing trip, but left the fishing poles leaning against the wall at the back of the car. The bait and tackle boxes were not forgotten.

Fortunately we passed a Gander Mountain on the way and bought 4 new poles and reels.

To this day my wife swears that I just wanted new stuff. I'm not sure she was wrong.....LOL.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 08:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsmjim View Post
To this day my wife swears that I just wanted new stuff. I'm not sure she was wrong.....LOL.
I will deny it 'till the day I die, but sometimes this is all part of the plan. I've only been busted once, but was able to talk my way out of trouble!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 09:04 AM   #6

I guess I'm somewhere closer to the guy with the spreadsheet....

I LOVE to plan for our camping trips! Food for everybody is my responsibility. So, several trips t the supermarket and Wally World. Mapping out how many breakfasts, lunches, dinners, treats, guests, covered dishes for visiting...

Other than clothing, food and water, the trailer stays equipped and ready-to-go from late April until mid October.

The process of 'moving house' from the old to new trailers has shown just how much stuff there is. Who thinks about flatware or corkscrews when heading out?

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 09:31 AM   #7

I'm a list person. Although this weekend I forgot the ketchup and mustard. Husband and son were upset on how they were to eat a hamburg without it. After eating them without I got "Wow that was great you could actually taste the flavour of the meat".
Raspberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 12:03 PM   #8

I like to make lists as well, its the only way to make sure things aren't forgotten. I have done this for years.
slabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 12:25 PM   #9

Some folks here leave some clothes in the camper. I can see maybe I should keep a pair of swim trunks and an old sweatshirt, that sort of thing in the camper. When you bargain hunt the thrift stores after dropping donations like we do you can easily afford a camper wardrobe and even outfit friends who forgot stuff!
Old 05-18-2015, 12:36 PM   #10

Forgot my DW once and had to buy another.

Sucks...I was just getting used to her.

anyway...

I usually forget STUFF INSIDE my TT. I have a pair of tennis shoes, flip flops and a belt sitting in my TT as we speak.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 12:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
I usually forget STUFF INSIDE my TT. I have a pair of tennis shoes, flip flops and a belt sitting in my TT as we speak.
Oh gawd! Thanks for reminding me of how many times sunglasses, hat, wallet, jacket, cell phone, etc. were left in the trailer parked next to the house. Realized when I am already 1/2 way to the office.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 12:43 PM   #12

It seems that every time we take our bikes camping somebody gets a flat tire. So I started buying extra tubes and sticking them in the camper.. Well... I also keep forgetting that I bought extra tubes.. I think I have like 6 or 7 spare tubes now..

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 11:44 AM   #13

We've been tent camping for over 40 years, we'd like to think we have our system down pat, but we've forgotten items that would have been useful. We are just about to enjoy our first outing with our new popup, I find myself still scrambling to gather items to support the PU should something unforeseen occur.
2015 Jay Series 1007 UD (sold)

"Life is so very short, eat the dessert first".
eng45ine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 07:50 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex1961 View Post
It seems that every time we take our bikes camping somebody gets a flat tire. So I started buying extra tubes and sticking them in the camper.. Well... I also keep forgetting that I bought extra tubes.. I think I have like 6 or 7 spare tubes now..
This is a good one, and when we start toting bikes along, I'm going to remember to pack extra tubes! My brother just experienced this a couple weekends ago. One of the kids blew a tire, and he had no spare tubes. Granted, he was borrowing my dad's Class C at the time, but someone from his group was towing a PUP, so they could've taken the truck a few miles down the road to the nearest Wal-Mart if they had been truly motivated to fix it. I bet he carries extra tubes from now on...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 05-20-2015, 09:45 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBraddy View Post
I saw one guy doing a list of all he had on board. Had a spread sheet and was actually counting nuts and bolts he had stowed away haha... He unloaded his whole cache of STUFF and checked it off his spreadsheet list.
Wow, and I thought my mother-in-law had OCD!

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:22 AM   #16

Most everything stays in the trailer year round except clothing, food, and beverages.

I do checklists, but not as anal as the guy counting nuts and bolts!

My spreadsheet is divided into several sections. One is the annual verifications of what stays in the trailer, which includes consumables like TP, toilet chemicals, rubber gloves, fire starters, etc. One is the stuff we put in at the beginning of the season, things like spices, batteries for various things, DVDs, etc. And one is for the stuff that gets packed the days before the trip, food items, trip specific things like hiking guides, etc.

And the reason I do this is because I want my comforts and don't want to be without something. This is why we have a trailer.

RVing can be as much work as you make it. We take bikes on some trips and that adds some work for me because I have to remove and stow our hard tonneau cover in the trailer. But for us that's worth it. Most trips though we don't take the bikes and loading is easy.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 02:24 PM   #17

The bike tubes can easily be patched with a kit FYI. Only after 4-5 patches do I eventually replace it. Also if you get flats consider a "tuffy strip" that goes inside the tire under the tube and they are very effective.
Old 05-20-2015, 02:27 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkdaddy View Post
The bike tubes can easily be patched with a kit FYI. Only after 4-5 patches do I eventually replace it. Also if you get flats consider a "tuffy strip" that goes inside the tire under the tube and they are very effective.
I have a tire patch kit attached to my bike. My brothers' problem was over inflation I believe. I'm pretty sure my niece split the tire tube like a banana peel, no patch for that!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 05-20-2015, 06:55 PM   #19

I love being simple minded. I could get by most trips with a pair of shorts, a pair of pants, a t shirt and a sweatshirt... but at least one pair of underwear and undershirt for each day.

My wife is the list maker and packer... I am the loader. Things were easier before kids (2 year old, 5 month old).
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 09:40 PM   #20

Well, we just take some stuff. Then buy anything forgotten.
Most of the time it works.

Unless you ask DW about the time I forgot underwear on a 5000 mile trip.

She loves to tell that one around the campfire.
SecretCoveDave is offline   Reply With Quote