Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-16-2019, 06:59 PM   #1

Suggestions on how to keep mice out of my Jayco 5th wheel

What are Jayco owners doing to keep the mice out in the winter months? We live in Ohio and plan on putting our new camper in storage after this upcoming weekend where it will be sitting inside an uninsulated building for 5 months.
My grandmother would tell me to use moth balls but I can’t hardly stand the smell! Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Snake4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 07:05 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake4Hire View Post
What are Jayco owners doing to keep the mice out in the winter months? We live in Ohio and plan on putting our new camper in storage after this upcoming weekend where it will be sitting inside an uninsulated building for 5 months.

My grandmother would tell me to use moth balls but I can’t hardly stand the smell! Any suggestions would be appreciated!

I use fresh cab. Can be purchased at rural king or other farm supply store. 4 pouches in a box. Pull out drawers and put behind, put in pantry, under bed and in basement. Mice hate the stuff.smells like pine needles
Skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 07:17 PM   #3

First line of defense is to seal up any hole that would allow them to enter. Even the smallest hole is an open door. Get underneath and seal up everywhere there is pipe/ wire etc. Even if you have an enclosed underbelly you will still find places to seal. Great stuff makes a rodent foam that Home Depot or Ace carries. If the hole is real big start plugging it with copper or stainless steel wool. Walmart carries both usually by the kitchen sponges. I don't recommend steel wool as it will rust over time. Then spray the foam. Look inside every cabinet where plumbing and wires come in and treat them too. Search some utube videos that might be helpful.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...mouse+proofing
wiscampsin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 04:52 AM   #4

Wife just read the myth (?) about Irish Spring Soap repelling rodents last night. Not tried it but have heard/read it several times.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 05:59 AM   #5

Put ours in a unheated shed. It is a new and fairly well sealed shed.
I put mouse traps around the trailer. If one gets in I get them before they get in the trailer.
No new tenants so far!
I put traps around the trailer when it is parked outside in the driveway as well. I have caught a few mice that way as well.
YMMV
RoadrunnerII

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 10:38 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimp View Post
Wife just read the myth (?) about Irish Spring Soap repelling rodents last night. Not tried it but have heard/read it several times.
I heard the same and not to try it.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:40 AM   #7

Using Irish Spring for 5 years along with peppermint oil dripped into a cotton ball. I use 4+ bars cut in half and put on floor in slide areas, bottom cabinets, and outside storage areas. Also plugged all openings with Great Stuff spray. Have not had any critters in TT or fiver.

Happy RVing,
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 12:35 PM   #8

This:

https://youtu.be/6SIlYiiCGLI

Fill bucket with car type antifreeze and no dead rodent smell.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 01:09 PM   #9
eow

We remove all contents from FW, wash floors and cabinet shelves, vacuum rugs. Use stainless steel wool and fine stainless steel screen to block all entry holes (can still allow water floods to drain if it happens). Then place about 12 packets of Fresh Cab inside and in the front cargo hold.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
eow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 02:24 PM   #10

First season with a camper, seal every hole a mouse can get in (they can squeeze through a hole smaller than a dime).

I am in the Peppermint Oil camp. Must be pure oil, not artificial, not any other kind of mint. We dab a handful of cotton balls and spread them around the camper, in cupboards and cabinets. Camper smells like Christmas when you open up in the spring, but it dissipates pretty quick once you collect up all the balls. Mice don't like the smell and won't move in. May not work to get them out. Has worked for me for about 12 years now; not so much as a mouse dropping ever found in the TT.

Now I know all of these have been debunked somewhat on the web; mice chewing the Irish Spring bars, making nests of the dryer sheets, and failing to move when spearmint leaves added to their nests, so YMMV. At least I feel that I have done something, the camper smells great, and I have had no rodents yet. BTW - I park in an open storage lot out in the country with my TT right at the tree line. We see lots of signs of wildlife outside the camper, just not inside.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 03:38 PM   #11

I have the optional Diamond Kote Mouse Shield undercoating on my TT, guess what it smells like when it's was newly applied...........Peppermint!!!!!!!

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-r...-for-RV-s.html
freetime58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 05:40 PM   #12

It ain't rocket science. Moth balls, irish spring, cab fresh and all the other snake oils don't work. All have been debunked. If a mouse wants in, he'll get in if he can and all the stink in the world won't keep him out.

The secret is to mouse proof. Seal the trailer up. If there are no holes, and thus no point of entry, there will be no mouse intrusion.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 09:03 PM   #13

That is what I did went underneath and spayed every hole I could see, Started at the back and went up to the front. SO FAR SO GOOD ALL put always for the winter now

The only fish I got this year.
Attached Thumbnails
20190522_200943.jpg   20190518_104630.jpg  
annie oakly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 05:11 AM   #14

I read where some one tried it and mice ate the soap
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 12:02 PM   #15

Dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake4Hire View Post
I use dryer sheets placing dryer sheets all over the place, on top of your mattress and all your cabinets any place where you might think will be a nice cozy place for a rodent. I've used it several years and never any trace. Good luck.
chevyman30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 12:39 PM   #16

Quote:
My mouse didn’t get the memo. He nibbled on the soap bar.
berkashire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 01:10 PM   #17

I agree on the stainless steel wool or similar foamed or caulked into place on the bottom and inside.

I found several holes around the water heater and the power converter areas. I did the same on the inside as outside with the metal and foam in every wire and pipe opening. Don't forget under the sink and under the tub if you can get there. Under the tub was a 4 inch hole for a 2 inch drain pipe!

Every fall as part of winterizing I do a quick inspection of the bottom in case of cracks, holes from rocks or sticks. Prevention is so much better than cleanup!
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 01:54 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscampsin View Post
First line of defense is to seal up any hole that would allow them to enter. Even the smallest hole is an open door. Get underneath and seal up everywhere there is pipe/ wire etc. Even if you have an enclosed underbelly you will still find places to seal. Great stuff makes a rodent foam that Home Depot or Ace carries. If the hole is real big start plugging it with copper or stainless steel wool. Walmart carries both usually by the kitchen sponges. I don't recommend steel wool as it will rust over time. Then spray the foam. Look inside every cabinet where plumbing and wires come in and treat them too. Search some utube videos that might be helpful.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...mouse+proofing
I like your suggestion. When I called Ace, they ordered me in this product made by DAP. It’s designed to keep out Mice Squirrels, Bats, and other small rodents.
The foam spray they carried made by Great Stuff looks like it’s good for mainly insects?
Either way, I appreciate all the great suggestions!!
Attached Thumbnails
1DAB7E65-9F3A-486D-A758-93474A4A0919.jpg  
Old 10-26-2019, 02:31 PM   #19

Mouse blocker sounds good by 20% of amazon reviews says it doesn't work. I still agree and suggest that blocking with non rusting metal (copper or stainless steel) scrubbies will work. I also use aluminum screen wire stuffed into bigger areas as I had some in the garage and foamed it into place.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 03:45 PM   #20

Quote:

I'd say it doesn't work but everyone can form their own opinions.........
Attached Thumbnails
irish spring.jpg  
freetime58 is offline   Reply With Quote