Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-14-2022, 06:53 AM   #1

Summer Storage in Florida

We are thinking of storing our RV (Eagle 321rsts) in Florida over the summer. From mid April to possibly mid November.
We are going to:[*]Put Screens over the Refrigerator vents, furnace vent, and hot water vent[*]Put multiple pails of damp rid throughout the trailer[*]Empty tanks[*]Blow out water system[*]Cover Wheels[*]Put in a dehumidifier
We are looking to put in storage with a covered canopy with 30 amp service. Our intentions are to set AC at 83 degrees. Then have the dehumidfier empty into sink in kitchen. So my question revolves around the gray water waste tanks. My thought would be to pull the valves open on both tanks. That way I would have 87 gals of grey water waste tank capacity versus 37 gallons. I have a Valterra valve on the main drain line so I can hook up a sewer hose without spilling water all over when I go to drain the tanks. So my question is: has anyone done this? What experiences have you had?
Appreciate any responses.
dlewand53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 05:13 PM   #2

Haven't done it but suggestion, why don't you run the drain hose under the big slide and let it drain on the ground. That way you don't have gallons of water setting in the tanks all summer. Just a thought.
Demco 18K Autoslide Hitch and Timbrens
2019 Ford F350 SB 6.7L Diesel (Gone)
Radar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 05:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar57 View Post
Haven't done it but suggestion, why don't you run the drain hose under the big slide and let it drain on the ground. That way you don't have gallons of water setting in the tanks all summer. Just a thought.
Bugs/critters...
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 07:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlewand53 View Post
We are thinking of storing our RV (Eagle 321rsts) in Florida over the summer. From mid April to possibly mid November.
We are going to:[*]Put Screens over the Refrigerator vents, furnace vent, and hot water vent[*]Put multiple pails of damp rid throughout the trailer[*]Empty tanks[*]Blow out water system[*]Cover Wheels[*]Put in a dehumidifier
We are looking to put in storage with a covered canopy with 30 amp service. Our intentions are to set AC at 83 degrees. Then have the dehumidfier empty into sink in kitchen. So my question revolves around the gray water waste tanks. My thought would be to pull the valves open on both tanks. That way I would have 87 gals of grey water waste tank capacity versus 37 gallons. I have a Valterra valve on the main drain line so I can hook up a sewer hose without spilling water all over when I go to drain the tanks. So my question is: has anyone done this? What experiences have you had?
Appreciate any responses.
If you are going to have the AC running, why do you need a dehumidifier?
RipinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 07:24 PM   #5

A few other things that I do with a SOB 5th wheel in SWFLis to put a half dozen Sunpaks and several trays of kitty litter with a handful of charcoal briquettes in them. Leave all cabinets and drawers open and cover the inside of the windows with Reflecttex.
This has worked well for me and was recommended by the people where I leave mine for the summer. I don't have electricity when it is in storage but so far no mold or mildew problem.
Jim Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 07:37 PM   #6
Site Team

I have a dehumidifier running in my rig and in the summer at home, under a carport it collects almost a gallon on a humid day. I would be a little skeptical of letting it collect in my grey tanks even tied together.

When I run my ac in there the dehumidifier does not even run that often anyhow. I have a relative humidity meter and it tracks with the dehumidifiers meter of about 50% humidity. We hardly ever run them at the same time.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 12:55 PM   #7

If someone is going to look in monthly or you watch your bill on FPL website then the AC should be enough to keep it dry. If FPL shows no power use than the AC is down. or if it goes crazy 24 hours a day it is stuck in the on position. If you do use a dehumidifier run it down the shower and leave the dump valve open a crack and cover with screen wire to keep out pests. I would not bother with dryer tubs as they will fill in days, waste of money. We have a mobile home in Florida in Venice and leave AC at 85 degrees and our check says we have 50% humidity according to meter all summer long.

Definitely use Reflectix in windows a vents to keep out sun for fading and heat reduction.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 04:32 PM   #8
RPR

Storing it in hurricane country?
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote