Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-23-2020, 08:33 PM   #1

Super Duty trailer tpms

Has anyone installed the Ford trailer tpms (without cameras) on their trailer? The package wasn’t shipped with the truck, waiting for it to arrive, and wondering if I will have time to install before we make our escape from winter. I know there are valve stems/sensors to be installed and have read how to pair to the truck, but there is no info if there is an amplifier, a harness, where it goes, etc. Dealer can’t even find info even in parts. Ford has done great job of ignoring the situation until today when dealer principal got someone to say it will ship “very soon”. Any information will be appreciated!
Thanks
Bill
1973 IH 1210 CC
1975 IH Travelall
1979 IH Scout II
[SIGPIC]
bstannard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 09:29 PM   #2

If you have a previous TPMS I’d plan on using that and figure out the new system on return. If you don’t have a previous monitor but had a previous TT just go without since you’re used to it. Keep searching for data and take what they ship you, maybe you’ll have time to investigate while on the road.

Congrats on your new “tow beast”,

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 06:03 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
If you have a previous TPMS I’d plan on using that and figure out the new system on return. If you don’t have a previous monitor but had a previous TT just go without since you’re used to it. Keep searching for data and take what they ship you, maybe you’ll have time to investigate while on the road.

Congrats on your new “tow beast”,
RedHorse 1,
That is indeed my plan B. Once we get to Okeechobee I will have time to putz around with it for sure. I was hoping it would come in time so I could get the dealer to install the 7/12 pin connector in the bed so the tpms wire won’t be hanging over the tailgate. Have only towed trailer to the scale and back so very anxious to hit the road. Think we will really enjoy the 350. Sure more room inside than the Silverado.
Bill
1973 IH 1210 CC
1975 IH Travelall
1979 IH Scout II
[SIGPIC]
Old 01-24-2020, 06:32 AM   #4

I just bought a 2019 F450. The dealer sold me the additional rear view camera package and TPMS. ($600 Can). When I opened the box up the actual TPMS valve stems were not in the box. These must be installed in the rims ( and I do not know their PSI limitations - 80 or 110 , a fact you may have to consider depending on the tire you are going with). The package comes with a 45’ wire harness for the trailer and on the harness is the TPMS transmitter that you will locate somewhere in the front cargo area of your RV and connect it to power there. The package also provides a camera, and truck mounted pin socket which is swapped out for the one on your bumper. I used mine set up for the wired camera only - so I cannot tell you how well the TPMSs would have worked. The wired camera is not subject to all the picture transmission glitches of an over the air transmission. There is a couple of good UTube videos on these installation and I believe the ford site has instructional videos as well.
Jeffur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 07:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffur View Post
I just bought a 2019 F450. The dealer sold me the additional rear view camera package and TPMS. ($600 Can). When I opened the box up the actual TPMS valve stems were not in the box. These must be installed in the rims ( and I do not know their PSI limitations - 80 or 110 , a fact you may have to consider depending on the tire you are going with). The package comes with a 45’ wire harness for the trailer and on the harness is the TPMS transmitter that you will locate somewhere in the front cargo area of your RV and connect it to power there. The package also provides a camera, and truck mounted pin socket which is swapped out for the one on your bumper. I used mine set up for the wired camera only - so I cannot tell you how well the TPMSs would have worked. The wired camera is not subject to all the picture transmission glitches of an over the air transmission. There is a couple of good UTube videos on these installation and I believe the ford site has instructional videos as well.
Jefferson,
Thanks for your reply. Are you saying that the tpms transmitter is powered from the trailer battery? Does the info go to the tv via telemetry (like my current tpms). In that case the harness to the truck and plug change would not be necessary. That would be great but doubt if I’ll be that lucky.
Bill
1973 IH 1210 CC
1975 IH Travelall
1979 IH Scout II
[SIGPIC]
Old 01-24-2020, 08:18 AM   #6

I hope you have better luck than I did with this! My 2019 F250 was ordered with the puck system, trailer tow package etc etc, but not the rear camera option - which meant no wiring harness for the camera, but more importantly, no wiring harness for the TTPMS and worse yet, I discovered the onboard dash info system also came through with no programming to accept the TTPMS. I had no way to upgrade without going through a horrendous amount of work and parts/component swap-outs. I was not happy with my dealer for not knowing the TTPMS option was not available without the rear camera option.
I also ended up finding out that the Ford tire sensors may not fit into the Jayco style 16" rims.
Long story short, I bought the TST-507 rv monitoring system and could not be happier with it. I used the cap sensors instead of rim mounted. I did not need to use the signal booster, my signal reaches the dash board mounted monitor with no problem at all.
I'll be interested to hear how your system goes together when you get all the components.
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS Modern Farmhouse (16" wheels, spring shackles set on lower hole of frame, SumoSprings TSS-107-40, standard kingpin, B&W Companion slider, TST-507 TPMS, Progressive Industries hardwired 50A EMS HW-50C)
2019 F250 SRW SuperCab 4X4 SB 6.2 (10,000# GVW) 3.73 Axle 18" wheels
Nature Ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 03:06 PM   #7

Dealer got sensors through parts so I could get new tires mounted and back on camper so sensors fit 16” rims ok. Was watching utube video on camera/tpms install and tpms module appears to only have two wires going to it. Perhaps it is just power (which I can get off camper as Jeffur talked about above? Might not need the 12 pin plug in the truck if signal to truck is telemetry. Haven’t found that out yet. Maybe someone else on forum has this answer?
Thanks
Bill
1973 IH 1210 CC
1975 IH Travelall
1979 IH Scout II
[SIGPIC]
Old 01-24-2020, 03:25 PM   #8

Though I could be wrong, I believe the Ford trailer tpms is not wireless. It has to be connected from the module that goes in the trailer via the wiring harness to the connector provided at the 7-pin receptacle. On my 2019 F250 the factory option for the camera and ttpms provides the wiring harness from the rear connector to the dashboard, it behaves like the truck tpms and does not have a constant readout, and has an audible alarm to warn of anomalies. Apparently the truck tire tpms is the only part that is wireless. I suspect that system does not have the ability to receive more than the four wheels on the truck, which explains the need for the harness to deliver the signal from the trailer to the on-board dash diagnostics. Everything I learned about my truck (built without the camera/ttpms option) indicated I could not just add the wiring harness and have functioning ttpms alongside my truck tpms.
I had some heated discussion with my dealer about this, and there was no resolution.
Moot point for me now, as I really like having the separate monitor for my trailer tire sensors. I like to keep an eye on the temperature and pressure as I travel. I also spent about 1/3 the cost of the Ford factory ttpms option. I'd like to think Ford has resolved this issue for the 2020 model year.
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS Modern Farmhouse (16" wheels, spring shackles set on lower hole of frame, SumoSprings TSS-107-40, standard kingpin, B&W Companion slider, TST-507 TPMS, Progressive Industries hardwired 50A EMS HW-50C)
2019 F250 SRW SuperCab 4X4 SB 6.2 (10,000# GVW) 3.73 Axle 18" wheels
Nature Ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 04:24 PM   #9

Well, think you are spot on as I just found a install video that had a good view of the tpms connection at the module-4 wire so it is a hard wired signal to the truck. Interesting, tpms was listed at $55 at the time when I ordered the truck. After all the emails between dealer and Ford (and Ford stonewalling) supposedly the package is on the way and the price is now $550! Oops!
1973 IH 1210 CC
1975 IH Travelall
1979 IH Scout II
[SIGPIC]
Old 01-24-2020, 06:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature Ist View Post
Long story short, I bought the TST-507 rv monitoring system and could not be happier with it. I used the cap sensors instead of rim mounted. I did not need to use the signal booster, my signal reaches the dash board mounted monitor with no problem at all.
Nature, I'm interested in the TST system. Do you have metal valve stems for the cap sensors or just mount them to the rubber stems? Bill, sorry to get off topic here.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 07:38 PM   #11

Ok, think this is on hold until a box comes from Ford.
1973 IH 1210 CC
1975 IH Travelall
1979 IH Scout II
[SIGPIC]