Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-11-2012, 12:52 PM   #1

Surge protecters

Do I need to buy a surge protecter when I pick up my new trailer? i didnt have one for my 88 jayco. Thanks
Old 03-11-2012, 02:37 PM   #2

Do a search on "surge protector" and you'll find several threads on this topic. Here's one to get you started:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...urge+protector

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:41 PM   #3

Your new trailer probably has alot more electronic boards than your '88 that can get damaged quite easily by too much or too little electricity. Considering the inconvenience and expense to replace your fridge, television, microwave, converter/inverter, water heater, furnace, AC, stereo/DVD, etc, I think the investment is a well worth it. Instead of just a surge protector I would recommend an Electrical Management System. Link:
http://tweetys.com/progressive-indus...rotectors.aspx
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:57 PM   #4

Short answer... Yes. I have a 50 amp Surge Guard. With all of the electronics on board my 5er, I think that it is cheap insurance. Well worth the money.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:35 PM   #5
Site Team

I have a Progressive Dynamics 50a portable surge protector. It is like an insurance policy. No good until you need it, then priceless.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I have a Progressive Dynamics 50a portable surge protector. It is like an insurance policy. No good until you need it, then priceless.
I would also recommend Progressive Dynamics but be sure to get an EMS. They protect you from far more than just surges and spikes and are well worth the additional cost. Progressive EMSes cost less than Surge Guard and customer service is better.

If you have room (I'm guessing you will since it appears the rig we are talking about is a fiver), a hardwired EMS is best since you don't have to deal with digging it out and hooking it up when setting up, and remembering to take it with you when you tear down. It is also a lot less likely to be stolen. Another advantage is you can get a remote display you can mount inside the rig so you can keep an eye on what is going on without going outside (especially nice when it's raing, etc.). A hardwired Progressive EMS is modular and can be repaired in the field by the user by replacing circuit boards sent by the manufacturer instead of having to send it in for repair or replacement. The manufacturer will walk you through the diagnostics over the phone, send the necessary board if that is all that is needed, then help you with the installation.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:42 PM   #7

I was just thinking about surge protection. I saw a 5er with a protable one the other day. He had it locked to the power box with a cable. It didn't look like it would be any trouble to just store it with the cord.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:34 PM   #8

Cheap trick.I put an overhand knot in all power cords.back when all house wiring was individual wires ran to fuses,old time electricians would put a knot in the wire right before the fuse so all they had todo was open the panel to fix any bad wires after a lightning stricke.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear View Post
Cheap trick.I put an overhand knot in all power cords.back when all house wiring was individual wires ran to fuses,old time electricians would put a knot in the wire right before the fuse so all they had todo was open the panel to fix any bad wires after a lightning stricke.
I have heard of that, and seen some examples. They say it "confuses the lightning".
Old 03-12-2012, 06:14 PM   #10

I just installed my Progressive Idustries EMS HW30C in my TT and it went pretty well.(I'm no electrician, just handy) Easy really other than working in tight spaces. Lady Fitz above pretty much summed it up about getting an EMS and the finer points of going with Progressive Industries models. All I had to buy was 4'($2/ft) of 30a 600v power cable(easier to work with than Romex) removed shore line power cord from back of TT breaker panel(take pics/video of existing wiring connections/locations if needed before removal). Rerouted to EMS mounting location(since no space in existing area), hardwired to EMS, stripped both ends of 4ft. cable, hooked one end to EMS, other end back to breaker, made connections and done. Ran remote and wire(it's wired w/data cable, included) inside/under cabinets, out from behind existing outlet faceplate and attached to cabinet w/double sided tape etc. Never had to drill a hole in cabinets etc other than 4 screws to mount. The EMS can be mounted horizontal, vertical, on floor, upside down whatever according to P.I. I feel really good about purchase even though it's $260 it's peace of mind and protection. Out of sight, out of mind, not exposed to weather and won't grow legs and walk off.
Reese Strait Line Trunnion Dual Cam WD
Tekonsha P3
cheetahflip is offline   Reply With Quote