Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-02-2018, 06:37 PM   #1

Surge protector

We want to get one for our camper. We only need a 30 amp. We are going seasonal. It seems that the prices are all over the board. I don't want to spend a ton of money but still want something that will do the job. Any pros or cons or favorites you can suggest?
2017 Jayco Jayflight 28bhbe Elite and thermal package
2014 Jayco White Hawk 28dsbh(traded in)
mesuezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 06:43 PM   #2

This:Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C
More than just a surge protector. Helps with many other things too including low voltage.

Shop around internet for best price.
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 06:45 PM   #3

I have a Surge Guard 30 amp surge protector (model 34830). In addition to providing surge protection it will shut off power if there is a severe over or under voltage condition. It also has a digital readout of voltage and current, will warn regarding a reverse polarity condition and provides a two minute delay if power is lost and then restored (important for A/C units to allow the pressure in the unit to balance and not overload the compressor). They also sell a hardwired version of this unit (model 35530). Both are around $220. I've had mine for six years and it's still functioning.

There are plenty of options out there. The more features the more expensive.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 04:16 AM   #4

Do not settle for just a "surge protector". You will want a device that not only protects against surges, but one that protects against all electrical problems.

I have an older model from Progressive Industries. It's a model PT30C. It was $247 many years ago, but I'm sure has gone up in price by now, but it's well worth the investment. It would cost a lot more than that should your RV get fried do to not having one.

My device always checks out the electrical system at a campground before it allows electricity to flow to the trailer. It has a read out that gives how many volts are present, ie 122, 120, 116. it also gives lets me know it's delivering 60 Hz, as well as any problems such as an open ground. And if there are any problems, it will not let electricity through to the trailer.

QUOTE=mesuezee;672518]We want to get one for our camper. We only need a 30 amp. We are going seasonal. It seems that the prices are all over the board. I don't want to spend a ton of money but still want something that will do the job. Any pros or cons or favorites you can suggest?[/QUOTE]

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 05:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee View Post
Do not settle for just a "surge protector". You will want a device that not only protects against surges, but one that protects against all electrical problems.

My device always checks out the electrical system at a campground before it allows electricity to flow to the trailer. It has a read out that gives how many volts are present, ie 122, 120, 116. it also gives lets me know it's delivering 60 Hz, as well as any problems such as an open ground. And if there are any problems, it will not let electricity through to the trailer.
Ditto. This is what we have. Yes, Mesu, be prepared for some sticker shock.
Attached Thumbnails
649DF082-B8B2-488B-8CD2-58EC33CFB932.jpeg  

John from Central Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 06:28 AM   #6

We have the Progressive Industries EMS HW-50C for our fifth wheel. It's hard wired in, so next to impossible to steal versus the type that is used outside. That's a big consideration when you realize the cost of replacement! While you can still lock down the ones used outside, it was just an extra step we really didn't want to contend with. The icing on the cake is that with the internal display, not only can I view the quality of power coming in, I can do so in my undies at midnight and not get wet if needing to reset it in a storm! lol

Regardless of which of the quality ones made out there you choose, be ready to spend a few hundred on it. I didn't use one on our first camper and nearly burned it up when wiring inside the power distribution panel melted and filled the camper with smoke! Not only was the supply wiring bad, but the supply circuit breaker failed to trip, thus keeping the faulty power flowing and it cost me a lot of money and grief to replace all that was damaged!

And regarding the Progressive Industries name, our experience has been that they stand firmly behind their product. I did have an issue with a faulty display which they overnighted to us, but the unit was very much still working, and if the unit itself would have been questionable, they have a bypass switch to eliminate the protective functions, thus returning power to your camper in the event of a failure of their device. It's a nice feature to have, but it always raises the question of whether or not to flip that switch as there might actually be a problem with the supply power. Worst case scenario is that you'd be no worse off flipping the bypass switch off versus having never installed protection in the first place.

We bought ours on Amazon. While Amazon said it was sold by Progressive Industries when I bough it, when I asked the technician about it, he informed me that they don't sell on Amazon... Who knows who I bought it from, but Progressive Industries still covered the display under warranty.

2016 Ram 3500 4X4 Dually, 6.7 Cummins, 3.73
2017 Jayco North Point 377RLBH, Cummins/Onan Gen
JetTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 07:41 AM   #7

Another nod to Progressive Industries EMS. I buy some things on the cheap but not an EMS.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 07:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscampsin View Post
This:Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C
More than just a surge protector. Helps with many other things too including low voltage.

Shop around internet for best price.
This is far and away the favorite brand of EMS here on JOF, whether it be the hard wired, or the portable version.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:04 AM   #9

Progressive has a lifetime warranty also. If you can I would suggest you get the hard wired unit, it has a display that will show the condition of the electrical system constantly. You should get the EMS electrical management system not just a surge guard. It is much more common to have other electrical issues rather than surges....ie low voltage, reverse polarity or open neutrals.

Good luck and happy carefree camping !

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 11:04 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
Another nod to Progressive Industries EMS. I buy some things on the cheap but not an EMS.
X2.
The good thing about a EMS it is always working for you even if you are not there.
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 04:40 PM   #11

I guess warranty repair could be dealer required, and it is for original owner as well if I read mine correctly. Peace of mind, worth the cost in my opinion.
Old 08-03-2018, 05:26 PM   #12

Progressives units are all plug and play.. if it goes bad, they overnight a new board and you plug it in...that simple. Plus...there is a bypass button so you can keep operating.

Old 08-04-2018, 07:59 AM   #13

Amazon has a couple of versions of the Progressive for under $100. Not all of the bells and whistles, but appears to have the protection. I guess I need to consider one of these. I especially like that it has a steel ring attached to the plug that you could run a locking cable through. As with most thing RV, you can't protect against dishonest people, but you can keep "mostly" honest people honest.
jd99336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 08:48 AM   #14

Keep on eye on what model Amazon has for under $100. Do they offer full EMS protection?

As a side note here's what I made to protect/hide our PI unit when we had a seasonal site. Our power post wasn't visible from the road. Drilled some 1/4" ventilation holes at the top and bottom and screened them off to keep insects out. I didn't want a wasp nest inside. I did use the metal ring to run a bike lock cable thru it, thru the sides of the box I made and wrapped tight around the campground power post. We didn't leave the camper plugged during the winter and brought the PI unit home.

Click image for larger version

Name:	36.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	205.6 KB
ID:	42843 Click image for larger version

Name:	37.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	205.5 KB
ID:	42844

I'll tell you one thing after being seasonal for 10 years, people watch out for each other and their stuff. Our camp neighbors became great friends of ours and we had keys to each others campers just in case on any emergency.
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 09:14 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscampsin View Post
I did use the metal ring to run a bike lock cable thru it, thru the sides of the box I made and wrapped tight around the campground power post. We didn't leave the camper plugged during the winter and brought the PI unit home.

Attachment 42843 Attachment 42844

I'll tell you one thing after being seasonal for 10 years, people watch out for each other and their stuff. Our camp neighbors became great friends of ours and we had keys to each others campers just in case on any emergency.
Reference your box. I just put a padlock on the pedestal breaker box. No way it can be removed without risking the thieves worthless life.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 09:10 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
Progressives units are all plug and play.. if it goes bad, they overnight a new board and you plug it in...that simple. Plus...there is a bypass button so you can keep operating.
True as I hear it, but you are then operating without protection which is why you bought the EMS in the first place. When my PT50 requires service it does have to go back to the factory vs plug and play parts, but during this period I put my backup unit in service. Yes, I have two. One for every day use and a spare. But then I full time so I have no down time for a loss of protection. Well worth the cost for me. I have also been full timing for 8 years and my PT50's have never grown legs yet.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 09:52 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd99336 View Post
Amazon has a couple of versions of the Progressive for under $100. Not all of the bells and whistles, but appears to have the protection. I guess I need to consider one of these. I especially like that it has a steel ring attached to the plug that you could run a locking cable through. As with most thing RV, you can't protect against dishonest people, but you can keep "mostly" honest people honest.
Those are only surge protectors. Some may indicate mis-wired receptacles but do nothing to protect you from them or over/under voltage. Only a true EMS system will do that. Surges are not the typical issue, low voltage is much more often the issue.

Old 08-05-2018, 09:58 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
True as I hear it, but you are then operating without protection which is why you bought the EMS in the first place. When my PT50 requires service it does have to go back to the factory vs plug and play parts, but during this period I put my backup unit in service. Yes, I have two. One for every day use and a spare. But then I full time so I have no down time for a loss of protection. Well worth the cost for me. I have also been full timing for 8 years and my PT50's have never grown legs yet.
The day or two it takes to get a new board is not an issue. I like the hard wired system because of the remote monitoring I get. I can check with just a glance and see what the condition of the power is. As a work kamper I can see what is happening with not only my power but in general the campground on a moment to moment basis and take appropriate action. In my 6 years doing this I've never had to replace my portable or my hard wired unit. I do have a small device which can be plugged into an outlet and gives me some of the readings my hard wired unit does, albeit not as accurate as the progressive EMS.

There is nothing wrong with the portable units, both will offer protection, the hardwired has the remote read which I find handy.

Happy Camping !

Old 08-05-2018, 08:12 PM   #19

We have a Surge Gourd that is a surge gourd as well as an EMS. Low voltage is more of a problem than surges so we wanted double protection. Bought it from our dealer for $260. They are around that on Amazon.
Chet & Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 10:22 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesuezee View Post
We want to get one for our camper. We only need a 30 amp. We are going seasonal. It seems that the prices are all over the board. I don't want to spend a ton of money but still want something that will do the job. Any pros or cons or favorites you can suggest?
I have a gently used 30 amp Progressive EMS HW30C for $125 plus shipping. We moved to a 50 amp fiver so no need for the 30 amp anymore. See Jayco Classified (up top) for more info. Have the manual and the remote display.

Happy RVing,
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote