Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 01:51 PM   #41
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch Pin View Post
I got mine a Amazon, no tax’s and no shipping.

We used it all last week, the park where we camped has very low voltage out put, most people there couldn’t run their ac at all. We was able to run the ac the fridge and the hot water heater and the voltage never went below 116 volts in side the rv with everything running.

If we didn’t have the auto former last week we would have fried just about everything in the rv, most of the other campers didn’t have more than 110 volts in side their rv with nothing running.

So to me it was totally worth what I paid for it.

the thing is you were bringing the campground voltage down even more running your autoformer...
Old 09-12-2014, 02:14 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbhybrid View Post
the thing is you were bringing the campground voltage down even more running your autoformer...
Not So !

This is form Hughes web site.

How Does it Work?

At first we are tempted to say very 'well'. But this may not be the answer you are looking for!

Autoformers are used in industries to stabilize voltage and lower the operating cost of equipment. The Autoformer has 5 windings: 2 primary and 3 secondary. All models have surge and spike protection. When the unit is in Automatic and the park or input voltage is 116 volts or below, the output is 10% over the input. When the input is over 118 volts, the output is 2% over the input.

The Autoformer DOES NOT take power from the park.

It does not affect the park or input voltage, or make electricity.

What it is doing is changing the voltage - amperage relationship, lowering the amperage and raising the voltage. Since appliances run better on higher voltage, lower amperage, less overall power is used from the park, and better service is enjoyed from your RV

An Autoformer running at full output (50amps) will use 1 amp, but will cause appliances to cycle more often and run cooler. This will use less total power from the park.

Enjoy Your Autoformer Knowing You Are Doing Your Part For The Environment.
Old 09-12-2014, 03:01 PM   #43
Site Team

Quote:
Not So !

This is form Hughes web site.

How Does it Work?

At first we are tempted to say very 'well'. But this may not be the answer you are looking for!

Autoformers are used in industries to stabilize voltage and lower the operating cost of equipment. The Autoformer has 5 windings: 2 primary and 3 secondary. All models have surge and spike protection. When the unit is in Automatic and the park or input voltage is 116 volts or below, the output is 10% over the input. When the input is over 118 volts, the output is 2% over the input.

The Autoformer DOES NOT take power from the park.

It does not affect the park or input voltage, or make electricity.

What it is doing is changing the voltage - amperage relationship, lowering the amperage and raising the voltage. Since appliances run better on higher voltage, lower amperage, less overall power is used from the park, and better service is enjoyed from your RV

An Autoformer running at full output (50amps) will use 1 amp, but will cause appliances to cycle more often and run cooler. This will use less total power from the park.

Enjoy Your Autoformer Knowing You Are Doing Your Part For The Environment.
The autoformer looks like a much better option for the money.

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Old 09-12-2014, 03:58 PM   #44

I like mine. I do not pop circuit breakers as much as I used to.
Old 09-12-2014, 05:01 PM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
It called an auto former, in other words it's a voltage booster. It also has a built in Surge Protector.

https://hughesautoformers.com/
Never knew the product existed for RV use, interesting read.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Old 09-12-2014, 06:42 PM   #46

So it appears it does everything an EMS does, except protect against high voltage. Does it shut down if voltage goes above 132v and also check for open ground and other faults?

The surge protection is significantly less than the Progressive EMS.
Autoformer - 733 joules, 4500 amps
PI EMS - 1790 joules, 44,000 amps
Old 09-12-2014, 08:49 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVer-Bill View Post
So it appears it does everything an EMS does, except protect against high voltage. Does it shut down if voltage goes above 132v and also check for open ground and other faults?
Yes to all of the above. When I talked to the people at Hughes they said that it does all of that, this unit has a surge and spike Protector built in, if there is a open ground or other faults the amber light will not come on and will not allow any out put to your rv.

Watch the video https://hughesautoformers.com/
Old 09-16-2014, 09:53 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by us71na View Post
I guess I'm just skeptical. If I am hooked up to a 120 volts source, that consists of a neutral and one side of the 220, How do I get 220 in my 120 volt system? I could understand it if the other side of the 220 came in contact with the neutral, but electrically I don't see how losing the neutral has any effect except losing power to the system. Can someone explain this?
I have to agree, the only way a 120V 30A supply to an RV could receive 220V is if the neutral was to short against the other live phase of a 220v supply. This would be almost impossible, an open neutral would cause an outage not an overvoltage.

Ron (Augie)
2015 Pinnacle 38FLSA
2013 Ram Laramie 3500 (Dually)
Curt Q20 hitch
Old 09-16-2014, 01:13 PM   #49

Quote:
False.

There has been much good information on this thread. It is also inundated with misunderstood concepts.

1. EMS and autoformer perform different functions. They are not interchangeable.

2. EMS is for protection. Autoformer is for voltage boost.

3. Neither device has a negative impact on the park.

I use both devices when conditions dictate it.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:16 PM   #50
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnchuck100 View Post
False.
your opinion

http://www.damouth.org/RVStuff/Autoform.shtml

You will draw more amps as the autoformer ramps up the voltage therefor lowering the voltage to the people around you
Old 09-16-2014, 01:18 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raugustin View Post
I have to agree, the only way a 120V 30A supply to an RV could receive 220V is if the neutral was to short against the other live phase of a 220v supply. This would be almost impossible, an open neutral would cause an outage not an overvoltage.
While the circuit you're plugged in to is 120 volt, the campground most likely has a 240 volt feed just like your house. When you lose the neutral the load becaomes unbalanced. One of the 120 volt legs may have low voltage, while the other leg can have over voltage.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:26 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raugustin View Post
This may be a little difficult to understand unless you are a qualified electrician.

Consider you have 220 V distribution throughout the park. Half of the 30 amp recepticals are one leg of the neutral/hot and the other half will be on the other leg. If you have a poor neutral connection at the transformer one leg will get an increase in voltage. The other leg will have a decrease in voltage by the same amount. The amount of change is dependent on the load presented on each leg.

Old 09-16-2014, 01:29 PM   #53

Quote:
your opinion

You will draw more amps as the autoformer ramps up the voltage therefor lowering the voltage to the people around you
If you split hairs,yes. Theoretically yes. In the real world the effect is negligible. For all intents and purposes insignificant.

Old 09-16-2014, 01:34 PM   #54
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
If you split hairs,yes. Theoretically yes. In the real world the effect is negligible. For all intents and purposes insignificant.

perhaps, but you don't know how insignificant it would be. In a low voltage situation where ems systems are shutting down any extra draw on the system by an autoformer is significant.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:41 PM   #55

nbhybrid, you have been posting information without a sufficient understanding of real world electrical characteristics. I am speaking of real world application. Not mathematical theory.

It WILL NOT take a measurable amount of power from others. Fractions of a volt.....MAYBE.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:27 PM   #56
Lost in the Woods

I apologize to the group. I was unaware I was arguing
Old 09-16-2014, 03:55 PM   #57

Quote:
thanks tnchuck and Howie,

yes you are both correct....an open neutral will result in a series circuit with the resulting voltage drops being based on the connected loads from the open neutral to each the line. This being said, the only way you can deliver 240V to either side is by shorting the ungrounded side of the open neutral to the other 120v line. An open neutral will damage equipment and is the number one cause of electrocutions.

Regards,

Ron

Ron (Augie)
2015 Pinnacle 38FLSA
2013 Ram Laramie 3500 (Dually)
Curt Q20 hitch
Old 09-16-2014, 04:48 PM   #58

Our EMS PI 50amp portable has protected us well over the years.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Old 09-16-2014, 06:05 PM   #59

Quote:
Yes to all of the above. When I talked to the people at Hughes they said that it does all of that, this unit has a surge and spike Protector built in, if there is a open ground or other faults the amber light will not come on and will not allow any out put to your rv.

Watch the video https://hughesautoformers.com/
This was in response to my question if the autoformer does everything an EMS does. I just downloaded the autoformer user guide and it appears that the autoformer does not. The manual says that if the voltage drops below 90v the autoformer goes into bypass mode. It does not shut down. Even though it does have some surge protection, it will not shut down at high voltage. An EMS will shut down above 132v and has a higher level of surge protection. Perhaps Hughes has added these featurers, but I haven't seen it. I guess that's why some people use an EMS after the autoformer.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:01 PM   #60

Quote:
your opinion

I checked out the site above, I must say that I don't agree with all that it says.

So if you have a 30 amp Autoformer running at full output it would be less than a 1 amp draw on the parks power.
Closed Thread