Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-12-2014, 02:51 PM   #41
Lost in the Woods
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Woodstock
Posts: 1,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch Pin View Post
I got mine a Amazon, no taxís and no shipping.

We used it all last week, the park where we camped has very low voltage out put, most people there couldnít run their ac at all. We was able to run the ac the fridge and the hot water heater and the voltage never went below 116 volts in side the rv with everything running.

If we didnít have the auto former last week we would have fried just about everything in the rv, most of the other campers didnít have more than 110 volts in side their rv with nothing running.

So to me it was totally worth what I paid for it.

the thing is you were bringing the campground voltage down even more running your autoformer...
__________________

nbhybrid is offline  
Old 09-12-2014, 03:14 PM   #42
Senior Member
 
Hitch Pin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Southern Ohio
Posts: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbhybrid View Post
the thing is you were bringing the campground voltage down even more running your autoformer...
Not So !

This is form Hughes web site.


How Does it Work?

At first we are tempted to say very 'well'. But this may not be the answer you are looking for!

Autoformers are used in industries to stabilize voltage and lower the operating cost of equipment. The Autoformer has 5 windings: 2 primary and 3 secondary. All models have surge and spike protection. When the unit is in Automatic and the park or input voltage is 116 volts or below, the output is 10% over the input. When the input is over 118 volts, the output is 2% over the input.

The Autoformer DOES NOT take power from the park.

It does not affect the park or input voltage, or make electricity.

What it is doing is changing the voltage - amperage relationship, lowering the amperage and raising the voltage. Since appliances run better on higher voltage, lower amperage, less overall power is used from the park, and better service is enjoyed from your RV

An Autoformer running at full output (50amps) will use 1 amp, but will cause appliances to cycle more often and run cooler. This will use less total power from the park.

Enjoy Your Autoformer Knowing You Are Doing Your Part For The Environment.
__________________

__________________
2015 Jay Flight 23 RB
2014 Silverado LT 1500 with a 5.3 V8 Ecotec3
Hitch Pin is offline  
Old 09-12-2014, 04:01 PM   #43
Site Team
 
Snake Plissken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: DeWitt, MI
Posts: 1,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch Pin View Post
Not So !

This is form Hughes web site.


How Does it Work?

At first we are tempted to say very 'well'. But this may not be the answer you are looking for!

Autoformers are used in industries to stabilize voltage and lower the operating cost of equipment. The Autoformer has 5 windings: 2 primary and 3 secondary. All models have surge and spike protection. When the unit is in Automatic and the park or input voltage is 116 volts or below, the output is 10% over the input. When the input is over 118 volts, the output is 2% over the input.

The Autoformer DOES NOT take power from the park.

It does not affect the park or input voltage, or make electricity.

What it is doing is changing the voltage - amperage relationship, lowering the amperage and raising the voltage. Since appliances run better on higher voltage, lower amperage, less overall power is used from the park, and better service is enjoyed from your RV

An Autoformer running at full output (50amps) will use 1 amp, but will cause appliances to cycle more often and run cooler. This will use less total power from the park.

Enjoy Your Autoformer Knowing You Are Doing Your Part For The Environment.
The autoformer looks like a much better option for the money.
__________________
MODERATOR

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline  
Old 09-12-2014, 04:58 PM   #44
Senior Member
 
krsmitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Brandon, FL
Posts: 329
I like mine. I do not pop circuit breakers as much as I used to.
__________________
Ken Smith
2016 Heritage Glen 272RLIS
2017 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7 CTD
krsmitty is offline  
Old 09-12-2014, 06:01 PM   #45
Moderator Emeritus
 
Rustic Eagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch Pin View Post
It called an auto former, in other words it's a voltage booster. It also has a built in Surge Protector.

https://hughesautoformers.com/
Never knew the product existed for RV use, interesting read.

Bob
__________________

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (integrated sway control)
Rustic Eagle is offline  
Old 09-12-2014, 07:42 PM   #46
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: NY Southern Tier
Posts: 105
So it appears it does everything an EMS does, except protect against high voltage. Does it shut down if voltage goes above 132v and also check for open ground and other faults?

The surge protection is significantly less than the Progressive EMS.
Autoformer - 733 joules, 4500 amps
PI EMS - 1790 joules, 44,000 amps
__________________
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.0L 4.10
2015 Jayco White Hawk 24RKS
RVer-Bill is offline  
Old 09-12-2014, 09:49 PM   #47
Senior Member
 
Hitch Pin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Southern Ohio
Posts: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVer-Bill View Post
So it appears it does everything an EMS does, except protect against high voltage. Does it shut down if voltage goes above 132v and also check for open ground and other faults?
Yes to all of the above. When I talked to the people at Hughes they said that it does all of that, this unit has a surge and spike Protector built in, if there is a open ground or other faults the amber light will not come on and will not allow any out put to your rv.

Watch the video https://hughesautoformers.com/
__________________
2015 Jay Flight 23 RB
2014 Silverado LT 1500 with a 5.3 V8 Ecotec3
Hitch Pin is offline  
Old 09-16-2014, 10:53 AM   #48
Senior Member
 
Raugustin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Camlachie
Posts: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by us71na View Post
I guess I'm just skeptical. If I am hooked up to a 120 volts source, that consists of a neutral and one side of the 220, How do I get 220 in my 120 volt system? I could understand it if the other side of the 220 came in contact with the neutral, but electrically I don't see how losing the neutral has any effect except losing power to the system. Can someone explain this?
I have to agree, the only way a 120V 30A supply to an RV could receive 220V is if the neutral was to short against the other live phase of a 220v supply. This would be almost impossible, an open neutral would cause an outage not an overvoltage.
__________________

Ron (Augie)
2015 Pinnacle 38FLSA
2013 Ram Laramie 3500 (Dually)
Curt Q20 hitch
Raugustin is offline  
Old 09-16-2014, 02:13 PM   #49
Senior Member
 
tnchuck100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Sparta, TN
Posts: 1,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbhybrid View Post
the thing is you were bringing the campground voltage down even more running your autoformer...
False.

There has been much good information on this thread. It is also inundated with misunderstood concepts.

1. EMS and autoformer perform different functions. They are not interchangeable.

2. EMS is for protection. Autoformer is for voltage boost.

3. Neither device has a negative impact on the park.

I use both devices when conditions dictate it.
__________________
Chuck - Sparta, TN
2012 Jay Flight 22FB, 2 x Honda EU2000i
2013 GMC Yukon XL Denali AWD

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline  
Old 09-16-2014, 02:16 PM   #50
Lost in the Woods
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Woodstock
Posts: 1,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnchuck100 View Post
False.
your opinion

http://www.damouth.org/RVStuff/Autoform.shtml

You will draw more amps as the autoformer ramps up the voltage therefor lowering the voltage to the people around you
__________________

nbhybrid is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.