Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 02:18 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raugustin View Post
I have to agree, the only way a 120V 30A supply to an RV could receive 220V is if the neutral was to short against the other live phase of a 220v supply. This would be almost impossible, an open neutral would cause an outage not an overvoltage.
While the circuit you're plugged in to is 120 volt, the campground most likely has a 240 volt feed just like your house. When you lose the neutral the load becaomes unbalanced. One of the 120 volt legs may have low voltage, while the other leg can have over voltage.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:26 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raugustin View Post
I have to agree, the only way a 120V 30A supply to an RV could receive 220V is if the neutral was to short against the other live phase of a 220v supply. This would be almost impossible, an open neutral would cause an outage not an overvoltage.
This may be a little difficult to understand unless you are a qualified electrician.

Consider you have 220 V distribution throughout the park. Half of the 30 amp recepticals are one leg of the neutral/hot and the other half will be on the other leg. If you have a poor neutral connection at the transformer one leg will get an increase in voltage. The other leg will have a decrease in voltage by the same amount. The amount of change is dependent on the load presented on each leg.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:29 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbhybrid View Post
your opinion

http://www.damouth.org/RVStuff/Autoform.shtml

You will draw more amps as the autoformer ramps up the voltage therefor lowering the voltage to the people around you
If you split hairs,yes. Theoretically yes. In the real world the effect is negligible. For all intents and purposes insignificant.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:34 PM   #54
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnchuck100 View Post
If you split hairs,yes. Theoretically yes. In the real world the effect is negligible. For all intents and purposes insignificant.

perhaps, but you don't know how insignificant it would be. In a low voltage situation where ems systems are shutting down any extra draw on the system by an autoformer is significant.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:41 PM   #55

nbhybrid, you have been posting information without a sufficient understanding of real world electrical characteristics. I am speaking of real world application. Not mathematical theory.

It WILL NOT take a measurable amount of power from others. Fractions of a volt.....MAYBE.

Old 09-16-2014, 03:27 PM   #56
Lost in the Woods

I apologize to the group. I was unaware I was arguing
Old 09-16-2014, 04:55 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnchuck100 View Post
thanks tnchuck and Howie,

yes you are both correct....an open neutral will result in a series circuit with the resulting voltage drops being based on the connected loads from the open neutral to each the line. This being said, the only way you can deliver 240V to either side is by shorting the ungrounded side of the open neutral to the other 120v line. An open neutral will damage equipment and is the number one cause of electrocutions.

Regards,

Ron

Ron (Augie)
2015 Pinnacle 38FLSA
2013 Ram Laramie 3500 (Dually)
Curt Q20 hitch
Old 09-16-2014, 05:48 PM   #58

Our EMS PI 50amp portable has protected us well over the years.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Old 09-16-2014, 07:05 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch Pin View Post
Yes to all of the above. When I talked to the people at Hughes they said that it does all of that, this unit has a surge and spike Protector built in, if there is a open ground or other faults the amber light will not come on and will not allow any out put to your rv.

Watch the video https://hughesautoformers.com/
This was in response to my question if the autoformer does everything an EMS does. I just downloaded the autoformer user guide and it appears that the autoformer does not. The manual says that if the voltage drops below 90v the autoformer goes into bypass mode. It does not shut down. Even though it does have some surge protection, it will not shut down at high voltage. An EMS will shut down above 132v and has a higher level of surge protection. Perhaps Hughes has added these featurers, but I haven't seen it. I guess that's why some people use an EMS after the autoformer.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:01 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbhybrid View Post
your opinion

http://www.damouth.org/RVStuff/Autoform.shtml

You will draw more amps as the autoformer ramps up the voltage therefor lowering the voltage to the people around you
I checked out the site above, I must say that I don't agree with all that it says.

An Autoformer running at full output (50amps) will use 1 amp, but will cause appliances to cycle more often and run cooler. This will use less total power from the park.

So if you have a 30 amp Autoformer running at full output it would be less than a 1 amp draw on the parks power.

Closed Thread