Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-20-2019, 02:09 PM   #21

I would get one you can buy a good one it's just a piece of mind to have one and maybe nothing will happen and maybe it will, you're never know.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 02:50 PM   #22

Read thru these. Especially my post # 10:

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ing-48571.html

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 04:58 PM   #23

I never had one until I bought our FW. Mine has already saved me from hooking up to CG box with faulty wiring. With all the electronics these days, it is a piece of mind not worrying about my camping trip being cut short due to a power surge or lightning strike.
ETCrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 08:17 PM   #24

We decided that spending less than $300 was better than spending thousands.
We have EMS and the water pressure regulator.

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALCOFLLANMTXsm.jpg
Octopus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 11:58 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
We decided that spending less than $300 was better than spending thousands.
We have EMS and the water pressure regulator.

Yep, what Octopus Prime said.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 07:58 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by usafdaddy View Post
I'm sure that this has been discussed somewhere in the Jayco Owners forum in the past. In 40 years of RVing in motor homes, travel trailers, and now our 5th wheel, I have never used a surge protector and have never had a problem that required its usage. I have spoken with numerous fellow RVers who say that they're a waste of money and a few who think I am foolish not to be using one, I would appreciate "your" opinion on this matter. Thank you.
Surge protection is only one benefit of having an electrical management system (something beyond just surge protection). It protects against surges but also protects again low/high voltage. The impact of operation at low or high voltage may not be apparent immediately but shorten the life of electronic components. If you have a premature A/C motor failure it may be the result of having had the unit running with a low or high voltage condition. For me the cost of having one (a few hundred dollars) to protect against all of these things, and the ability to monitor voltage, current, proper grounding and polarity, is worth the price.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 11:51 AM   #27

When we updated our coach last year, there were a lot more electronics than before (almost 15 years ago). Reading all the horror stories from sketchy campground electrical blowing out systems, we considered it short money to invest in a hard wired system.
If nothing else, it's piece of mind.
tdbrackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 12:01 PM   #28

I’ve seen electrical damage to homes for the last 20 years. TVs, appliances, & electronics destroyed. I live in the lightning capital of the United States. That’s why I use one.
eeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 12:06 PM   #29

I installed one of these after we settled in an RV Park and were living out of our RV, month to month, in Tempe, AZ.
https://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems-hw50c

Luckily we had it, because our power pedestal took a hit and this device saved what would have happened to our internals, had I not installed it.

Definitely worth the money! Like some people have said, some have not encountered problems, as lon as they have been camping, while others have! Meaning, YOU never know when something will happen. It is great insurance for the protection of your RV. They are easy to install as well :-)
Livermore, CA
Elefantdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 12:14 PM   #30

Along the same thought process

I agree on having a surge protector and I have one. The problem is it is for 50 amp service when I had a Class A, now that I’ve moved to a Greyhawk 32 ft with 30 amp service, can I still use it if I use the adapter to go fro 50 amp to 30 amp?
HBGREY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 01:02 PM   #31

Its the 1st thing I purchased after I payed the dealer to replace $2800.00 worth of electronics after a surge took them out. And I still have to purchase a new microwave. I would definitely invest in one.
BossmanJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 01:54 PM   #32

Most assuredly. Progressive industries, hard wire was my choice. Would not leave home w/o knowing that level of protection is in place.
cybearnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 02:19 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBGREY View Post
I agree on having a surge protector and I have one. The problem is it is for 50 amp service when I had a Class A, now that I’ve moved to a Greyhawk 32 ft with 30 amp service, can I still use it if I use the adapter to go fro 50 amp to 30 amp?
Contacting the surge protector manufacturer would be the best idea to be certain, IMO.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 02:56 PM   #34

I installed a Progressive hard wired unit in our trailer and it may have just paid for itself last summer when we returned to the trailer and found it showing a low voltage fault code and it had shut down the power coming into the trailer, we had left the ac on because of the heat and the low voltage would have been hard on things. I know its working as it should.
__
John H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 04:24 PM   #35

Surge Protector

Yes...many campgrounds haven’t updated grid...in California one stayed at frequently in case n point...reading was getting below 100 so bought a a booster type that brought it up to 115+... during summer and u don’t want to blow your air conditioner...pricey $350 at Camping World but cheaper than air conditioner or worst... + worth peace of mind...now at most campgrounds readiding stays n 125-129 !!! My 2 cents
4468461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 04:49 PM   #36

We have a tester/surge protector for our little trailer. We also keep an easily visible LED amp meter plugged in to a socket so we can monitor the power coming into the trailer. We have not had a power surge but we have had a few reverse wired and faulty posts in both independent and major camping club campgrounds. Protection will pay for itself sooner or later.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 03:24 AM   #37

Always use mine whether plugged in at the CG or home. I've known people who have suffered for not having a surge protector. Figure it's a small price to pay for peace of mind.

2010 Greyhawk 31SS
Loretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 04:35 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBGREY View Post
Yes you can. 30amp will just use one of the two legs on the surge protector.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 05:30 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
Yes you can. 30amp will just use one of the two legs on the surge protector.
Thanks to you, you answered my question. An thanks to the many replies that came across with advice. It’s appreciated. My shakedown trip is today an I’m sure to have additional questions after, like what does the inverter switch engerize, am I doing the water system correctly and so forth. An forward I go. Thanks all!
HBGREY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 06:59 AM   #40

I did not have an EMS when we owned our first RV, a 24 foot TT. But when we bought our Greyhawk 29MV, the portable PI EMS was the first accessory that was purchased. Personally I like the portable unit but as long as you have one, it's one less worry and cheap insurance. The EMS saved our butts in a very nice and fairly new campground in Georgia with no shade on several very hot days when the voltage dropped below safe levels. Yes, when we returned late that afternoon the interior was warm without the A/C being on constantly, but all electronics were safe. I also use an adjustable water pressure regulator with 2" gauge. I keep it around 45 pounds which gives good pressure without stressing the lines.

Love To Travel 2 is offline   Reply With Quote