Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-20-2019, 05:56 AM   #1

Surge protector - yes or no

I'm sure that this has been discussed somewhere in the Jayco Owners forum in the past. In 40 years of RVing in motor homes, travel trailers, and now our 5th wheel, I have never used a surge protector and have never had a problem that required its usage. I have spoken with numerous fellow RVers who say that they're a waste of money and a few who think I am foolish not to be using one, I would appreciate "your" opinion on this matter. Thank you.
usafdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 06:03 AM   #2

We felt the same way until the introduction of all the new electronics in RV's. That and along with the fact many CG are being overloaded with multiple a/c units and associated voltage drops I bought my first one about 15 yrs ago. They have reacted based on low voltage numerous times.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:12 AM   #3

I was swayed to purchase one, after a power surge in our seasonal campground selectively damaged TV's, microwaves, power convertors, and other misc RV electronics. WE were very lucky, as campers on either side of us had damages. In the scheme of things, "cheap" insurance.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:13 AM   #4

Yep, just like Grumpy said above. I also use an Autoformer, but many view that as overkill.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 06:36 AM   #5

Absolutely

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 07:23 AM   #6

Considering what it would cost to replace your on board electronics (microwave, tv, AC, water heater board, furnace, etc) they are cheap insurance. I would recommend more than just a surge protector but an EMS unit. I've used a portable unit but now a hardwire unit from here:
https://www.progressiveindustries.net/
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 07:30 AM   #7

https://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems-hw50c
More than just a surge protector.

It is working for you 24/7.

https://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems-pt50x
If you prefer a portable one.
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 07:33 AM   #8

Our progressive surge protector has saved us twice. Both times in Arizona - Brown outs and surges when the power came back on. We weren't home at the time to unplug, and had no idea that there had even been a problem until we got home.
Cindi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 08:18 AM   #9
Site Team

My progressive industries unit took the shot when lightning struck a tree close to our trailer. The surge protector needed replaced but the trailer was fine.

They are well worth the money.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 08:36 AM   #10

Our PI was zapped last summer during an electrical storm. Progressive sent me a new one. I was glad I had it.
KillerIsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 08:52 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by usafdaddy View Post
I'm sure that this has been discussed somewhere in the Jayco Owners forum in the past. In 40 years of RVing in motor homes, travel trailers, and now our 5th wheel, I have never used a surge protector and have never had a problem that required its usage. I have spoken with numerous fellow RVers who say that they're a waste of money and a few who think I am foolish not to be using one, I would appreciate "your" opinion on this matter. Thank you.

Not a surge protector, but YES to an EMS (Electrical Management System). Having worked at campgrounds for the last 7 years, I've seen too many issues with voltage drops, open neutrals etc. I have a hard wired progressive unit and when I plug in it tells me exactly what quality the power is. Also it is protecting me for over, under voltage, open neutrals, reverse polarity and power surges 24/7 when im plugged in. That and a water pressure regulator are mandatory in my opinion.

Happy Camping

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:18 AM   #12

I don't have either a surge protector nor an EMS. I do however check every pedestal before I plug in with an outlet tester and 30 amp adapter and a volt meter. I have yet to find a problem at any campground we have stayed at. We generally avoid the big campgrounds with hundreds of RV's.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:26 AM   #13

Wouldn't leave home without!!
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:35 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
Not a surge protector, but YES to an EMS (Electrical Management System). Having worked at campgrounds for the last 7 years, I've seen too many issues with voltage drops, open neutrals etc. I have a hard wired progressive unit and when I plug in it tells me exactly what quality the power is. Also it is protecting me for over, under voltage, open neutrals, reverse polarity and power surges 24/7 when im plugged in. That and a water pressure regulator are mandatory in my opinion.

Happy Camping
I completely agree, my PI EMS got zapped and nothing was damaged in my fiver. Progressive industries sent me a new unit free of charge, no questions asked. I purchased a spare to carry with me.
dmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:41 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by usafdaddy View Post

I was the same way but like many others have said there is a lot more electronics and when we bought our new Seneca I decided it was time. It also seems that a lot of our favorite camping spots are now getting 30-40 years old and are not seeing much maintenance these days so just some added protection. I also have designed some remote monitor mounting plates for the Progressive Industries unit for mounting in compartments or a flush mounting inside.
Attached Thumbnails
i-GCx6cfg-X2.jpg   i-3pxmnHt-X2.jpg   i-NZ9x6jh-X2.jpg  

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:45 AM   #16

We had an inexpensive surge protector we used occasionally with our old class B MH. We kept it when we sold our MH and started using it with our new trailer. It was the type that would trip due to a surge, but had to be reset manually. It never tripped.

The first long trip with our new trailer in a nice looking RV park, our old surge protector tripped for no apparent reason shutting off our power. I checked our circuit breakers, then the shore power circuit breaker, and then reset our surge protector. All seemed OK. We heard the next day that some folks near our site had some of their TVs, microwaves, etc. fried. Right then we decided a high quality, automatically resetting, surge protector was a MUST. We now have a EMS PT30C that we ALWAYS use.

Last summer in an OK looking campground, our PT30C tripped a couple of times due to low voltage, something that our old surge protector would not have done. On another occasion in a sketchy CG, after we were on our site and leveled, our PT30C could not successfully complete it's checks to pass power through. We told the office and moved to a nearby site and the power was OK there. We heard later that other campers had tried that site we had a problem with and they, too, moved to a different site.

Our procedure now is to connect the PT30C just after pulling into a site to check the power. Then we are sure of the power when we are ready to connect.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:54 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by us71na View Post
I don't have either a surge protector nor an EMS. I do however check every pedestal before I plug in with an outlet tester and 30 amp adapter and a volt meter. I have yet to find a problem at any campground we have stayed at. We generally avoid the big campgrounds with hundreds of RV's.

That only gives you a "moment in time" protection. Typically the issues arise later in the afternoon. At one campground I worked in, on hot days, about 4 ish, when everyone was returning from the days outings and turned down the AC the voltage would drop to very low 100's..sometimes even lower. At that level your EMS would of shut off to protect your RV. AC will continue to try and work, pulling more amperage to compensate for the lower voltage and can overheat or worse. You would never know what is happening unless you plugged your tester in at that moment. But your EMS is protecting you around the clock...cutting power off if below 108 or over 132...and than monitoring the power and when it goes back up to more typical voltage (120 is normal) it will turn the power back on. Well worth a couple hundred $$ investment to protect your many thousands of $$ RV components.

Same with water regulators...most time you may not have an issue... but...sometimes you will. Last two years the campground we worked at water pressure was 140 psi..from the city. This is in mountainous area and they need the pressure to pump the water up the mountain to homes. Pressure regulator is mandatory at those pressures.

You buy health insurance not because you expect to get sick, but in case you get sick. This is cheap insurance.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 10:17 AM   #18

This is why I love my Autoformer. It allows me to get by w/ the low 100s and be ok. I figure I only RV when I'm on vacation. And if I'm on vacation, I want my AC to work when its hot outside !

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 11:18 AM   #19

Can someone please tell me 30 AMP vs 50 AMP surge protectors? I am getting a travel trailer with 30 amp service. I have reservations this summer at a park that only has 50 amp service. Looks like getting a plug that adapts my 30 amp to a 50 amp plug is no big deal. So what about a surge protector? Can I go from the pedestal to the 50/30 adapter to a 30 amp surge protector? or do I need a 50 amp SP and then connect to the adapter?

Appreciate any advice. Moved from a Jayco pop up to a jayco 184 bs, so I'm now in some unfamiliar territory.
O'Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 11:33 AM   #20

Yes you can go from the pedestal with a 50amp to 30amp adapter to a 30amp surge protector? I've done it a few times. Often the 30amp socket is worn and the connection is better with the 50amp.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote