Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-04-2017, 10:32 AM   #1

Surge Protectors and Weather

Hello I purchases a Progressive surge Protector for my TT a few months back.
(Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C Portable EMS RV Surge Protector)

https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-I...sive+ems-pt30c

I just noticed that hey released a new model that has a rain cover:

Progressive Industries RV Surge and Electrical Protection industry lea

So my question is, how much weather can mine take, if it rains do I have to unplug and not have access to the pedestal power? Or is there some device or trick to keep it protected? What does everyone else do who have the portable type of protectors. I guess I didn't really think about it until I saw the new version with a rain cover. Common sense tells me that it shouldn't be allowed to get wet, but is covering with say a trash bag or something similar acceptable/safe to do? Sorry, this is my first TT and I am extremely new to all this.
Mudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 10:44 AM   #2

According to the manufacturer, this surge protector is weather resistant, it can be exposed to elements, but may not be submerged. Personally I have never covered mine regardless to weather nor have I experienced any problems to date. I understand your concern with electricity and water, but with your system, I don't believe you have anything to worry about. Happy RV'ing
Skidawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 10:59 AM   #3

Truthfully, I had never really thought about it and I have used my older design unit during torrential downpours (2-3"/hr) numerous times in Florida without issues. Just don't let it hang close enough to, or touch the ground where water could pool and infiltrate the cover.

But like you suggested, if your really concerned about it, a loose fitting trash bag should be fine.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:26 AM   #4

Good to know, thanks for the reply guys!
Old 04-05-2017, 03:02 AM   #5

I used the PT50C (old design) for almost 7 years with zero problems with it being outside and through 6 summers on the Florida Gulf Coast. The only water issue I have had was week before last when I was in a major thunderstorm in west central Alabama. Torrential rain and 60mph winds. The rain was actually blowing horizontal. Two days after this storm I moved from my host site to my home base site 70 miles away. When I plugged my PT50C back in at my new site it showed 255 volts on both legs. I have a spare PT50 so I put it in service and all was well again. A quick call to PI and they said "water intrusion" and to send it in for repair/replacement. Love the product and their warranty.

I will absolutely not plug in anywhere without my PT50. Which is why I have two of them.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 04:59 AM   #6

That's why I ordered the new model its sealed way better !
Jayco 330RSTS Gone
Jayco G2 bunkhouse Gone
herewego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 05:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudd View Post
What does everyone else do who have the portable type of protectors.
One of several reasons (besides anti-theft, error code display inside the RV, and I'll never leave it behind) why I hardwired mine:

wan-der-lust's YouTube Channel and Instagram

wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 05:14 AM   #8

I will stick with the outside unit,if there is Lets say a large surge or lighting strike ,it would have Way less of a chance making that into my TT ,it should be stopped outside before getting into my Rig as far as theft,not worried,new unit comes with cable lock ring you can buy or make a metal box that keeps it from being unplugged ,if they cut the wires, kind of makes it useless... trust me I looked at the hard wired in unit,very nice just not for me
Jayco 330RSTS Gone
Jayco G2 bunkhouse Gone
herewego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 05:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by herewego View Post
I will stick with the outside unit, trust me I looked at the hard wired in unit,very nice just not for me
And that's exactly why they make both units, one for me and one for you.

wan-der-lust's YouTube Channel and Instagram

wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 07:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudd View Post
but is covering with say a trash bag or something similar acceptable/safe to do?
After plugging my electrical cord into the surge protector, I put a piece of electrical tape over the top and sides of the connection. Keeps the contacts nice and dry...easy too.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 07:17 AM   #11

Within a month or so of my purchase the rain did penetrate/ shut down mine. PI took care of it (although it did cost me shipping). And after maybe 6 more months the male plug melted. Again off to PI and they again fixed it.

Torrential rainfall continues but it's now been fine for 2 years.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:10 AM   #12

As a follow up, I emailed PI to see what they had to say about it.

First response:
You may either add un umbrella like cover to you PT of send it to us and we’ll add a cover for 89.95.

So i asked what was entailed in the "add a cover" option:

Second Response:
We add a new label, gasket, receptacle frame and weather shield cover.

Not sure it's worth the $85, especially after hearing everyone's experiences.

Thanks again.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:01 PM   #13

I have the older model EMS-PT30C. I haven't used it yet as I just got it 2 weeks ago, but I wanted to tell the OP to look around as there are lots of different prices out there. I paid $208 for mine with free shipping from RV Safety Accessories Inc. through Amazon, but now they are showing it at $239, so in a couple of weeks the price has jumped $31. Other vendors through Amazon show it as high as $278, all for the older model.

Just as an aside, RV Safety Accessories Inc. contacted me immediately after my order with a thank you and contact information, and they haven't spammed me at all, which is a refreshing change. They seem very customer oriented, so based on this experience, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

2016 F-150 XLT 4x4 Super Crew 3.5L Ecoboost
2017 Jay Feather X213
RPreeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 04:42 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by herewego View Post
I will stick with the outside unit,if there is Lets say a large surge or lighting strike ,it would have Way less of a chance making that into my TT ,it should be stopped outside before getting into my Rig as far as theft,not worried,new unit comes with cable lock ring you can buy or make a metal box that keeps it from being unplugged ,if they cut the wires, kind of makes it useless... trust me I looked at the hard wired in unit,very nice just not for me
I agree with you. I have seen electrical devices that were hit by the result of a lightning strike, etc. and they have experienced non-passive failure. I definitely want this type of failure to be outside, not inside my RV.

Theft isn't something I give much thought to I do have a small chain and lock I wrap around the power pedestal, but in almost 7 years of full time use my PT50 hasn't walked off yet.

I have had two failures of my PT50's. One this past September due to a lightning strike close by and one leg failed or rather saved me. This unit was replaced by PI's lifetime warranty and they replaced it with the new design. My second failure was the water intrusion issue I posted on previously and a replacement has been shipped back to me from PI. I don' know for sure if the replacement will be the new design, but the replacement I received last fall was and that one is in service right now.

I absolutely will not plug in anywhere without my PT50.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 05:55 AM   #15

I have mine plugged in now for 4 months in direct sunlight. I tried electrical tape and it melted by the sun. I now have it covered by a white heavy garbage bag to keep it from rain and sun. Down side I have to remove bag to see the display.
Rock
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 07:27 AM   #16

As long as you leave it hanging from the cord and NOT laying flat on the ground it should be OK...
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 10:58 AM   #17

I just covered it since we r here until our new home is built. Wanted to keep water from the plug prongs and unit of of direct sunlight for so long. Going to buy a tube of stick an peel clear calk. I have used it around doors for flooding and it seals great and you can pull it off easily
Rock
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote