Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-12-2017, 05:47 PM   #1

Surviving a blizzard?

So...

I live in the Hudson Valley. We're bracing for anywhere from 16"-30" of snow Tuesday, depending upon the storm track.

My White Hawk is stored outdoors (about 30 miles from home) with a good Tyvek cover. I just inspected it again last week and snugged it up, all is well. BUT I'm worried about snow load. I plan to clean off the roof when I can get to it but it may be 48-72 hours after the storm before I can. Any thoughts or advice out there (besides prayer)?
Our White Hawk photo album
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 06:29 PM   #2

I was up in Bingham, ME 2 weeks ago and they got 40 inches of snow. Drove by a RV dealership and was amazed at the snow piled on the roofs. 1 week later on my way home from Quebec City I passed the dealership and they were still covered with snow. You will probably be ok. a few years ago we had a bad winter and our area of MA received 105 inches of snow over the course of the winter with little o no melting between stories. My Class C 31SS was parked on its pad next to our house. I had it on a slight incline using leveling blocks so the water would flow off. I did not have it covered but did have 3 Maxx Air vent covers over the vents. No problems with the RV but I couldn't get it our till April that year. My biggest fear was that a tree would fall and hit it since we live in the woods.Good luck. I want Spring now!
Old 03-12-2017, 07:44 PM   #3

About 15 years ago we had a bad storm and got a good 2 1/2 feet of snow. That wasn't the problem. A few days later it thawed and we got torrential rain. The snow held the rain. By the time it stopped raining the temp plummeted. Now we had 2 1/2 feet of ice.

The roof on my storage shed collapsed and the walls bowed in. Sitting right next to it was my old RV and its roof was fine. The trailer was 40 years old and not built nearly as good as a Jayco.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 08:13 PM   #4

Clean it off - it's not just load, it's the potential for ice damming when it melts.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 08:46 PM   #5

Mikey, I'm just a little southeast of you and am concerned about the same thing; moreso with rain later in the week.
NY RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 04:46 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Rose View Post
... You will probably be ok. a few years ago we had a bad winter and our area of MA received 105 inches of snow over the course of the winter with little o no melting between stories. My [White Hawk] was parked on its pad next to our house. I had it on a slight incline using leveling blocks so the water would flow off. I did not have it covered ... No problems with the RV but I couldn't get it our till April that year. My biggest fear was that a tree would fall and hit it since we live in the woods. Good luck. I want Spring now!
X2 - way more concerned about trees than I am the snow load
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 07:47 AM   #7

We live in VT and my DW used to freak about the snow load on our TT. I cleaned it off once and, once the snow melted found cuts on the rubber roof from the roof rake.
I've never cleared snow off our fiver and the roof slopes enough that ice dams don't concern me. I would be far more worried about my solar panels and wiring. As previously noted, dealers don't clear them either.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:06 PM   #8

Don't worry about it, it's got the Magnum Truss roof system! My old Tracer had 30+" of snow load on it a few years ago and it had no issues and that has a weaker roof than a Jayco.

2001 Ford F-150 4x4 5.4

2012 Prime Time Tracer 2670BHS (sold)
2017 White Hawk 28DSBH (*Special Ordered w/ almost all the options in 10/16. Delivered on 5/19/17)
oldnnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 06:54 PM   #9

I agree with others on leaving it. I think there is more potential to cause damage to the roof membrane when standing on it and shovelling it. Even with a plastic tip shovel and being careful I can't imagine hitting the callulking or scraping the roof when it's below freezing can be good. Also there is no way the rv dealerships shovel the roof on the units that may sit there two or three winters. The TPO roof membrane is pretty thin and I have already repaired one little tear from a tree branch. Just don't think that roof would respond well at negative temps to any agitation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-13-2017, 07:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoboosteagle View Post
I agree with others on leaving it. I think there is more potential to cause damage to the roof membrane when standing on it and shovelling it. Even with a plastic tip shovel and being careful I can't imagine hitting the callulking or scraping the roof when it's below freezing can be good. Also there is no way the rv dealerships shovel the roof on the units that may sit there two or three winters. The TPO roof membrane is pretty thin and I have already repaired one little tear from a tree branch. Just don't think that roof would respond well at negative temps to any agitation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks. As it's covered with a Tyvek cover, I'm not worried about scraping the roof membrane or ice dams, just the snow load itself. But the posts here have put my concerns (largely) to rest. Good luck to everyone in th blizzard zone!
Our White Hawk photo album
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 07:58 PM   #11

Move to Oklahoma. I live in the Oklahoma City area and I don't think we've had even a 1/4" of snow this winter. I LOVE IT! Don't have to worry about that kind of nonsenses. Come to think of it, don't think we've had any ice yet either.
mralex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mralex View Post
Move to Oklahoma. I live in the Oklahoma City area and I don't think we've had even a 1/4" of snow this winter. I LOVE IT! Don't have to worry about that kind of nonsenses. Come to think of it, don't think we've had any ice yet either.
I had to do some field work at a factory in OK. As part of the safety training, the first thing they showed me was the location of the tornado shelter.

I think I'll stick with the snow. Worst that can happen is they will close the schools, we won't be able to go to work (the DW is a teacher) and we'll get an extra day of vacation...
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 03:46 PM   #13
Site Team

Well, the snow storm was right on schedule!!! Amazin' how fast we (the ones up North) get used to 60* temps, and not even spring yet! Oh well, the snow blower gets another workout today!!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 07:53 AM   #14

We got back from FL and the trailer is back in its tomb of ice
Its got three feet of snow on the roof and some eight feet ( from the plow) in front of it..

Its fine. ( we snowshoed in).

Rain on snow is another issue but that happens infrequently here. When it does its entertaining to watch people haul snowblowers onto flat roofs before the event( like stores).

I'd not do that to the trailer anymore than applying our roof rake.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:43 AM   #15

Living in Alaska, I currently have "at least" 30 inches on top of my rig (I don't actually measure it). That and the berms created by the snow blowers and plow along the road at the edge of my property have ensured my trailer is not moving anytime in the near future.
Your trailer will be fine.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 01:51 PM   #16

I work in the transportation industry and the roofs of some of our trailers are pretty flimsy compared to a Jayco roof -- just some thin fibreglass and steel struts 2 feet apart. We've never had problems with the trailer roofs caving in under snow load, but we do clean them off before moving them for safety reasons. Highway Traffic Act and all that.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote