Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-26-2010, 06:27 PM   #1

T.V reception

I cant seem to pick up any tv stations in my camper , unless Im parked in my driveway , does any one know if we can buy an upgrade t.v. antenna , we normally dont watch tv when Im camping , but it rained last weekend and we had to stay inside the camper at night , I saw the next day that others had their antennas up ,so I was thinking maybe i was doing something wrong . thanks Kipper
kipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:31 AM   #2

Did you have the Antenna Booster "ON" when parked in the driveway and NOT when camping?
Did you try adjusting the antenna direction while camping?
Were you close enough to home to get the same channels?
Did you try to "reprogram" the Television while camping to see what channels were available? If you tried to reprogram the TV channels without the booster ON, most likely you will not get any signal. Specifically if you are in a remote area.
Is your TV a Digital TV with a signal strength meter to show how good the signal is at home?
There are different antennas that can be purchased, but the batwing type antenna you have will pick up digital signal. There is an "Add-On" to your current antenna called the "BatWing". From what I understand, it attaches to the current antenna you have on your rig and improves digital signal.
http://www.buy.com/prod/winegard-gs-...211251223.html
I have not tried this yet, so I can not say that it works better.

Daryl and Sandy
2013 Eagle 314BDS
2014 Ford F150 Platinum, 4 x 4 Crew Cab with Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer Hitch
OurJayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 03:26 PM   #3

The batwing mentioned above has improved our reception. Remember, if your TV is digital the reception is usually all or nothing, not the 'snowy' picture with analog TV.
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 02:46 AM   #4

Digital Television has certainly changed things. If you're getting reception at home I wonder if you had a bad connection, pre-amp was off or just too far from a station.

Jim
Priscilla, best friend & navigator.
Hank (5 year old black & tan Dachshund)
Cocoa (3 year old brown & tan dapple Dachshund)
2010 Fleetwood Excursion 30a
Toad is a 2007 Jeep Wrangler X
(We traded in our F250 and Jayco Eagle)
One Country Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:10 AM   #5

If you can find the address of the campground where you'll be staying, you might check out this website: http://tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=90

What you'll do is enter the address (or GPS coordinates if you can get those), and the site will plot all of the stations you should expect to receive for a given location.

I was surprised, though, just how many campgrounds we've visited where TV reception just isn't available. Some of state resort parks in far west Kentucky come to mind (Kenlake and Barkley for example). There's just nothing to be had.

Digital TV is wonderful when it works right, but when it doesn't, it can create a lot of headaches!
jnewkirk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper View Post
I cant seem to pick up any tv stations in my camper , unless Im parked in my driveway , does any one know if we can buy an upgrade t.v. antenna , we normally dont watch tv when Im camping , but it rained last weekend and we had to stay inside the camper at night , I saw the next day that others had their antennas up ,so I was thinking maybe i was doing something wrong . thanks Kipper
On our Jayco supplied TV, I was having a similar problem, only got 1 channel when I knew there were other channels available, The TV was in Cable mode and needed to be in Air mode. Once I figured that out and changed it I get channels I didnt even know were available. my2.00
barrelslime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:15 PM   #7

Has anyone ever couple the cable tv and antenna coax together so that the Cable TV "in" on the outside of the rig is actually an antenna hookup for a tv outside?
chas111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:43 PM   #8

I will put the antenna up, scan, then turn 90 degrees and scan again. One I pick up a station I lock in the best signal and scan again. Usually most of the stations are the same general direction. I also added the Wingman.

Dumb me last time I went camping I forgot I had turned off the amp - no stations. I was sure mad at myself when I figured it out once I got home.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:50 PM   #9

The booster really makes a difference.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 05:29 PM   #10

Digital reception has been very poor for me, even in my house. I came across some digital tv antenae you can make on the internet. I built one, and my signal strength went from 30's and 40's to 70's and 80's at the house. This cheap, coat hanger antenae worked twice as well as my expensive store bought antenae.
Here are some links to try.

Coat hangers

Better

Best
rvrev2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 08:38 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurJayco View Post
There is an "Add-On" to your current antenna called the "BatWing". From what I understand, it attaches to the current antenna you have on your rig and improves digital signal.
http://www.buy.com/prod/winegard-gs-...211251223.html
I have not tried this yet, so I can not say that it works better.
I installed this add on and it improved the reception. It snaps on to the batwing and you're finished. I thought it was a good buy. Easy installation. I got mine from Amazon.
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam
Prodigy P2
Tanker42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:17 AM   #12
Site Team

I'm going to assume that your home TV is not on an antenna. If that's true, I would suggest hooking up a cheap set of rabbit ears to your home TV, change it's input from cable to antenna, and then see what channels you can receive on your TV set at home. If you get nothing, then you have the answer as to why you're not receiving anything on the trailer's. However, if you do receive some channels on your home TV, then you should be able to receive the same channels on the trailer's TV. You might even receive more channels if the signal amplifier is turned on as your home TV won't have this advantage.

Keep in mind that digital signals are more directional than the old, analog signals were, so you may have to try turning the Bat Wing to if there's a channel on your home TV that you can't receive in the trailer. Many digital TVs have a signal strength meter that you can select from the TV's menu. This feature is helpful when turning the Bat Wing (and rabbit ears too!) for the best signal strength.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:19 PM   #13

Check ou antenna web.com. It also lets you put in your zip and tells you which direction the signals can bbe found. Works pretty good
campingva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 05:10 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by campingva View Post
Check ou antenna web.com. It also lets you put in your zip and tells you which direction the signals can bbe found. Works pretty good
Good information. However, "antenna web.com" won't take you anywhere. If I put the words together, I get "antennaweb.com" which takes you to a domain that's for sale. I think you really meant for us to go here- "www.antennaweb.org/"

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote