Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-31-2018, 09:36 AM   #1

Tailgate clearance

Good morning. Just picked up my new trailer and my tailgate doesn’t clear the jack handle. Since I’m sure to forget and damage my truck looking for solutions. The longest hitch bar I’ve seen is 16” from center hole to ball. That’s barely enough. Anyone out there have a solution that I’m not seeing?
Thx.
gladecreekwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 10:02 AM   #2

I'd be interested in hearing if you get a solution... Mine cleared fine, until I put in an electric tongue jack, and the box for the jack is now in the way...

My initial solution was to rotate the tongue jack, only after taking it off and rotating it, I discovered that the holes are not equidistant, so it only goes on one way...

My current solution it to be careful when opening up the tailgate when attached... I might look at putting some foam to protect the tailgate, but I have not done that yet.

I also don't have any need to get the tailgate all the way down while hooked up, only need to open it enough to get the tonneau cover unlatched for access.

Good luck!
2009 Jayco 1206 Tent Trailer (sold)
paul_ottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 10:04 AM   #3

Mine doesn't clear either, though I have a power jack...no handle.

If it hits the main head of the jack, then really you need a longer distance to the hitch ball.

If it just hits the jack handle, you can put a tennis ball on the handle or something to cushion it if you forget. Or you can cut the handle and weld a longer section so it hangs below your tailgate like this guy did:

venoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 10:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by venoran View Post
Mine doesn't clear either, though I have a power jack...no handle.

If it hits the main head of the jack, then really you need a longer distance to the hitch ball.

If it just hits the jack handle, you can put a tennis ball on the handle or something to cushion it if you forget. Or you can cut the handle and weld a longer section so it hangs below your tailgate like this guy did:

Longer handle is sounding good.
Old 08-31-2018, 11:01 AM   #5

[QUOTE=paul_ottawa;683130]I'd be interested in hearing if you get a solution... Mine cleared fine, until I put in an electric tongue jack, and the box for the jack is now in the way...

My initial solution was to rotate the tongue jack, only after taking it off and rotating it, I discovered that the holes are not equidistant, so it only goes on one way...
/QUOTE]

Can't you just loosen the head and turn it?.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 12:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post

Can't you just loosen the head and turn it?.
Hmm... I'll check tonight!
Old 08-31-2018, 01:15 PM   #7

Jacks aren't too expensive either. There are some models with the handle on the top (folds flat) or the side. Might be easier to slap a new one on. I liked my old top wind one - as easy as turning the steering wheel.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 02:38 PM   #8

I have a fifth wheel so don't have that issue with a travel trailer. However I did have that issue with a utility trailer. So I removed the original one and put one of the type that you weld on and probably some out there that will bolt on. It moved it from the front center of the A frame to the side of the A frame. If I recall the one I got was rated for 2k lbs and was less than $50 and a bit of wire from the welder. If you go that route just make sure it will extend far enough to get the hitch off the ball as they do come in different lengths.
barryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 11:03 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryg View Post
I have a fifth wheel so don't have that issue with a travel trailer. However I did have that issue with a utility trailer. So I removed the original one and put one of the type that you weld on and probably some out there that will bolt on. It moved it from the front center of the A frame to the side of the A frame. If I recall the one I got was rated for 2k lbs and was less than $50 and a bit of wire from the welder. If you go that route just make sure it will extend far enough to get the hitch off the ball as they do come in different lengths.
Thanks. I’m thinking a side mount swivel jack may be the simplest solution
Old 09-03-2018, 10:36 AM   #10

I had the same issue, so I just moved the jack back on the tongue. I welded the jack base to a piece of plate steel then bolted that to tongue of the camper. This is a 8000K lb jack, over kill but $49 makes it effortless for anyone to lift camper. OK. WTH is up with this site flipping pictures every damn time?!
Attached Thumbnails
D53D0BC6-E8BC-4A77-976A-3B111355A342.jpg   8E723C67-1169-4CC0-B3F8-962682E57175.jpg  
Old 09-13-2018, 08:12 AM   #11

Some power heads will rotate and some will not. I changed out the power jack that came on my 2017 Jay Flight 23RB with a Barker model. The Barker definitely allows the head to be turned. Loosen 3 Allen screws and turn.

Now, my tailgate will lower while hitched to the trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_ottawa View Post
I'd be interested in hearing if you get a solution... Mine cleared fine, until I put in an electric tongue jack, and the box for the jack is now in the way...

My current solution it to be careful when opening up the tailgate when attached... I might look at putting some foam to protect the tailgate, but I have not done that yet.

I also don't have any need to get the tailgate all the way down while hooked up, only need to open it enough to get the tonneau cover unlatched for access.

Good luck!

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 11:37 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee View Post
Some power heads will rotate and some will not. I changed out the power jack that came on my 2017 Jay Flight 23RB with a Barker model. The Barker definitely allows the head to be turned. Loosen 3 Allen screws and turn.

Now, my tailgate will lower while hitched to the trailer.
I looked at mine last time I had it at home, and it looks like the head itself can come off (4 bolts), so I'll see if it is as simple as rotating it 180 degrees, or if there are some other mechanisms that are stopping in. We'll see after you next trip!

Thanks,
Paul
Old 09-16-2018, 01:19 PM   #13

Do you mean, rotate it 90 degrees? That's all I needed to rotate my tongue jack head. In fact, if I turned it 180 degrees, it would have hit the cover over the propane tanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_ottawa View Post
I looked at mine last time I had it at home, and it looks like the head itself can come off (4 bolts), so I'll see if it is as simple as rotating it 180 degrees, or if there are some other mechanisms that are stopping in. We'll see after you next trip!

Thanks,
Paul

Old 09-16-2018, 01:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee View Post
Do you mean, rotate it 90 degrees? That's all I needed to rotate my tongue jack head. In fact, if I turned it 180 degrees, it would have hit the cover over the propane tanks.
No, I mean 180. The head is on a rectangular fitting, not square (the one I have is an aftermarket one from Princess Auto).
Old 09-16-2018, 02:06 PM   #15

Ok. I'm used to round tubes that the head rests on, and the head is rotated.

Old 09-16-2018, 02:50 PM   #16

Check out this site:

https://jack-e-up.com/

Here is the video:

It will be exactly what you need to keep the tailgate from hitting the jack.
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 06:29 PM   #17

Etrailer has all sorts of extenders, here is a 2" https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Hit...nch_Hitch.aspx
Hopsing415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 07:57 PM   #18

4My Slverado tail gate just misses the power head of the jack on our Jay Feather 23RBSW. However my friends Ram hits his and so does my neighbor's F150. Same model trailer so difference in PU tail gate. Tried moving Jack's and so on to no avail so will just have to live with it or get a Chev which is a costly solution.
Chet & Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 09:23 PM   #19

Will a hitch extension work? I bought one from etrailer for the front hitch (from etrailer also) to a mount a 8,000 lb wench in the front of the pickup. With the extension I gain 81/2 inches. The extension I have is solid 2" square bar welded to another receiver. I have thought about using the extension to be able to get the tail gate open. I have never done it. Will the extension cause side effects by using it. Maybe longer hitch = more leverage = more sway? Do I lose weight towing capacity? I have a tow cap of 10,000 lbs. The camp trailer is about 5,500 dry. I do use a WD hitch. Just another option that needs more researched.
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 10:32 PM   #20

Duke you will get all the above!! The farther you move the hitch head away from the truck, the less stable and less weight you can safely carry.

2019 North Point 377RLBH
2017 KZ Venom Toy Hauler (STOLEN, Recovered, CRUSHED)
2010 Sabre 32BHOK (Traded in on Venom)
1978 StarCraft PopUp (Long gone)
artoo93 is offline   Reply With Quote